The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Telefunken ELAM 251E Condenser Microphones
Old 1st July 2010
Lives for gear

thanks for the comparison. Good to know the closeness in sound.

id been thinking about getting one of the telefunken C12s or 251s. I saw them both at Summer NAMM and struck up a conversation with one of the reps there. He was so rude and arrogant to me and basically berated me for not being aware telefunken had made a C12 for years.
I walked off and spoke to michael from Cascade microphones. at least he treated me with respect.

Id most likely deal through Vintage King for any Telefunken purchase... but it does worry me what Telefunkens level of customer relations in the service department would be should i need any help or service.
Old 1st July 2010
member no 666

Hey Peter -- I don't know who you talked to at NAMM [though I have my suspicions] but I can tell you without a doubt if that if you have a problem it will be dealt with swiftly and seriously without a struggle.

Alan is the Director of Operations, and while he was there, I know you didn't talk to him. He is one of the nicest, and most competent people I've worked with in my time in this industry. He is also the guy that makes sure that service and communication are done correctly [which they are].

I wouldn't worry about the back up thing too much... T-funk stands behind their products 100% with no excuses.

Peace.
Old 1st July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CacoV. View Post
My tube looks nothing like the ones on the website's pics.

Not even close to the 6072 look.

Can someone explain that?

You obviously have a RFT ECC81 east German made tube.. Nice tube. Got plenty myself from Ebay.

6072 5 star GE are some of my favorites.. Good selection of tubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by patheticus View Post
So I found out today that the new Elam 251 we used actually has an EI tube in it and the original 251 had a NOS GE 5 star 6072 that I put in it a couple months ago. I like the GE 5 stars a lot better in general, I've never been an EI fan. Everything tube I own has NOS Mullard, Amperex(bugle boy), Telefunken, or GE 5 star tubes in it. I have GE 5 star 6072's in my VAC RAC as well. So maybe soon I'll do a test of both mics with NOS GE's in them, if anyone wants to get super nerdy. I know I do.

~Kris

EI tubes are just great IMHO. SELL THEM TO ME! Closest Telefunken Tube I have ever heard. If you try to buy or find any common EI tubes (Like ECC83s) on Ebay or on the internet as a whole. You will grow a ZZ Top beard waiting and waiting find some to appearheh. They are treasured by guys in the know. I would never sell any of my EI tubes. I bought a nice amount of ECC83s. I hold dearly for my comps, guitar amps and whatever. They made them with the same machinery, method and tools used to make Telefunken tubes. Then went out of business for some crazy reason. You should try the EI tubes in a guitar amp. TONE-LISCIOUS!

Ge 5 starts in comparison to Telefunk and EI tubes sound less open hi fi sound to me than the warm crisp 5 stars. Both are my favs depending on there use. But definitely sound different.

Thanks for the files and sharing your experiences with the mics.

ELAM251 by new Telefunken Company in Connecticut sounded great. Along with the original.

on the original...was it freshly checked out by a tech? Clean capsule, good caps, and all that?

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang View Post
That it is only way to protect yourself from divorce losses.
Usually gears are not taken very much into account.

Not in my State. Anything purchased after the marriage is deemed to be divided equally. Every State and Country has different laws for divorce. Luckily for me, I hired one of the best lawyers in my area. At the heat of the moment, the wife wanted it all dude! Even my studio, guitars, amps, down to the last pack of strings, you believe that? And she doesn't give a squat about music. Paid like 10 grand and worth every penny! Especially, for the long haul and still having every piece of slutty gear I invested in over the years..
Old 12th September 2010
Lives for gear
I have not decided yet witch I think was best. Iv download the 24-bit wavs to my daw an listen. But it was a big disappointment that the difference between new and original 251's. It was not closer to the original than the others.
Old 13th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post

Oh, and if you do your divorce right you'll end up on the "plus side" [I came out smelling like a rose from mine!!! ...complete with all of my studio gear and motorcycles... plus a nice little rag top sports car to boot!!]
Yeah, I've always told my wife that if we ever get divorced I'll do very well because I'll get half. Right now, she gets everything!

-R
Old 15th November 2010
Here for the gear

251E vs. 251...

Friends, I have been noticing that most celebrity singers are using either the 251E or the 251F in their recordings and not the supposedly better 251 that has the coveted AC701 tube. Does anyone know why??

See here, the telefunken website lists world reknown singers that use their mics, and only one person is listed as using the 251 AC.

TELEFUNKEN | USA ™ - Customers

Thanks.

Paul.
Old 15th November 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
Yeah, I've always told my wife that if we ever get divorced I'll do very well because I'll get half. Right now, she gets everything!

-R
thumbsup
Old 11th April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahasandi View Post
I agree the space around the voice (room)and air in the older mic are stunning. The newer 251 sounds a little flat.
At this level to compare a tube change isnt just the nerdness, its needed.
Wow upon further listening and reflection - I'm dead wrong - the reissue is perfect...what a mic
Old 11th April 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Wow upon further listening and reflection - I'm dead wrong - the reissue is perfect...what a mic
I've been making hits with it ever since we did this original test. No complaints. Only constant compliments on the vocal sounds I get. The reissue is definitely a winner for me.
Old 11th April 2014
yeah its phenomenal having now worked with this mic how good they got it....
Wow
Old 24th December 2014
Lives for gear

T-Funk Ela M 251E Stunning on vocal

We just recorded a live session and for the voice we used the t-funk ela m 251e.
We are very happy with the result
You can listen here:
https://soundcloud.com/renato-de-car...e-rough-24-bit
Old 10th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
I've posted the Audio Files and Pics Here:

Tube Microphone Comparison - Telefunken 251, U47, C12, and More
interesting…

Mine doesn't sound as dark as the Elam in this example, when I got it I expected it to be dark like that, but it was more sunnier, sharper, and silky when you moved up close. Singing really loud, no audible breakups either. Astonishing mic really. mine was made in 2002
Old 11th February 2015
Lives for gear

251's and C12's are both generally a bit clearer sounding, and with extended high and lows, compared to the k47/M7 Neumann tube mic sound. Not dark mics. Detailed, high res sounds.
Old 11th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
251's and C12's are both generally a bit clearer sounding, and with extended high and lows, compared to the k47/M7 Neumann tube mic sound. Not dark mics. Detailed, high res sounds.
Yes hi resolution is the best description... A good singer on this mic would give me chills if take was nailed haha
Old 21st February 2017
Lives for gear

The new 251E wins hands down.
Old 21st February 2017
... the new 251E amazes me everytime
Old 21st February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetness View Post
The new 251E wins hands down.

Quote:
... the new 251E amazes me everytime
????

Is there a new release? Please post a link? Thanks.

BTW, if anyone near the Boston area has a Telefunken usa 251 I would love to give it a listen beside my new Upton 251. Curious to see how they compare.
Thanks again!

Old 22nd February 2017
Lives for gear

Several years later after extensive use of my 'new' USA Tele 251 with original vintage CK12 and NOS AC-701 tube (it was quite small run of those mics made by Tele USA) I can confirm that no single vintage 251 (among dozen or more compared) impressed me more that this Tele USA.
They did it right and I believe that later incarnations are no short of excellence, as well.
I will hardly ever sell it and it was among few best purchases ever.
Old 22nd February 2017
Gear Guru

I'm hearing really good things about the new Upton 251.know cats in Nashville are comparing it to originals.quite a few picked the upton in shootouts.
tele usa is 8.5k
upton around 4.
that said I had a tele 251 a couple years ago.sounded damn good.
Old 22nd February 2017
I have the TELEFUNKEN Elektroakustik E (new) it's amazing compared it to many great mics - never disappointed, always blown away.

That said great that Upton is around; didn't even know they existed.
Old 24th February 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang View Post
Several years later after extensive use of my 'new' USA Tele 251 with original vintage CK12 and NOS AC-701 tube (it was quite small run of those mics made by Tele USA) I can confirm that no single vintage 251 (among dozen or more compared) impressed me more that this Tele USA.
They did it right and I believe that later incarnations are no short of excellence, as well.
I will hardly ever sell it and it was among few best purchases ever.
Is there a way to convert a 6072 tele251 to a ac-701? I'm sure it's more involved than swapping the tubes.
Old 24th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by seedubs View Post
Is there a way to convert a 6072 tele251 to a ac-701? I'm sure it's more involved than swapping the tubes.
It is absolutely possible, but you're correct that it's much more involved than a tube swap. The AC701 tube has flying leads which are soldered directly into the plastic circuit assembly. The original 9-pin tube socket and wiring must be removed first, then the AC701 mounting hardware installed in its place, then the AC701 installed and soldered. This represents a couple patient and careful hours on the bench. There are also a couple of the passive components which must be changed out to accommodate the AC701, which requires different plate resistor and cathode bias network values. The power supply also requires modification/calibration to lower the filament voltage for an AC701 so it does not get damaged. Lastly, if you want to truly convert the whole system in a safe and comprehensive way, the audio modulation output and filament voltage will be rewired in the base of the microphone as well as the stand-mount cable.

The most recent iteration of this procedure we performed here was actually just the opposite, a conversion from AC701 to 6072. The client's mic had a bad AC701 and opted to convert the circuitry over instead of sourcing and installing a new AC701. 6072s are not only more affordable but can be easily swapped out in the future if they go bad or if the user wants to audition different tubes in the mic.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search