The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chandler EMI Beatles? Turntables
Old 3rd June 2003
Lives for gear

Chandler EMI Beatles?

Hello, I'm interested in the two newest Chandler offerings, the TG1 and the TG2 but I thought the Beatles used V72's(talking about pre's not the compressor) What's the deal? Are these from a specific Beatles era/album? Are these tube/solid state/Transformers? How would you compare the pre to Neve/API? How would you compare the compressor to something like an LA2A? For those of you who have tried these pieces what has been your experience?
Thanks,
Sean
Old 3rd June 2003
Rab
KMR Audio

These aren't tube devices. The TG1 is a very different beast to the LA2... sounds fairly awesome on drums (one of the best things I've heard)... seems to introduce some harmonic distortion which makes the whole thing sound very lively/crunchy/oozy (!?). In no way a clean compressor. I've found it inappropriate on vocals, but others on this forum have rated it (see previous posts). Very desirable.

The only experience I've had with the TG2 didn't work out... the basic character was fairly dark, but again there seemed to be some distortion - this character works to advantage on the TG1 but not on the pre. I should point out the supplier didn't think this was typical and suspected a fault with the unit or power supply so maybe we didn't get a fair crack at it.
Old 3rd June 2003
There is only one

i love my TG2. its real emphasized in the midrange, GREAT for guitars, vox... even used it on bass with good success. works well on kick and snare too.... depending on the sound you are after. of course this isnt a CLEAN piece, but for rock and roll it works really well.

i liked the TG1 as well when i got a chance to play with one... its one my list of comps to get when i can pay for one. it certainly does things that no other comp does.

both have a "beatlesque" sound if you hit them right with the right source.
Old 3rd June 2003
Gear Maniac

I believe the v72 s were used on the early Beatle recordings.
If its Beatles , its all good.
Old 3rd June 2003
Gear Maniac

Beatles

Don't kill me, I'm not the world's greatest Beatles fan - however I do like the sound of a few of their later works. I too would like to know which era/recordings the TG1 relates back to... somebody on this forum said they had gotten instant 'Hey Jude' type sounds with the TG1 however I thought this was recorded at Trident Studios... did they use the original EMI comps there too? The other songs I like (Dear Prudence, some of Abbey Road) were also recorded at Trident, so maybe its the Trident sound I like rather than the TG1 type thang... anybody clarify pls?

Burt
Old 4th June 2003
Gear Maniac

I've never used these before, but if they sound anything like the real thing, then I'm sold. I got to work on an emi console about 2 years ago. The compressors on that console were amazing on vocals....realy creamy with a subtle distortion. IT was a really fantastic sounding console. They look more like airplane cockpits than consoles. very cool
Old 4th June 2003
Lives for gear

The more I read about this stuff the more curious I get. I think we should have Mr. Chandler be a guest moderator so we can ask him some questions. Whaduya think Jules?

A friend of mine says George Martin always used the EMI comp on Lennon's vocals. I don't know where he got his info though. I knew their later recordings were done at Trident Studios and you always hear about them using V72's.......so where does the EMI stuff fit in.........hhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmm

FWIW I too love the Trident sound. I have a couple of B Range modules(same pre as A Range but different eq) on the way from a very reputable company at a great price. After I hear them I'll let everyone know what I think.

Sean
Old 4th June 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

Speaking of the Beatles, I quite enjoyed their recent DVD package, especially the first DVD convering the early years from obscurity to Shea Stadium in NYC.

What a collection of talent.
Old 4th June 2003
Gear Maniac

screw up

the screw up you're referring to wasn't so much technical as toiletry - the toilet was nr the drum booth and they started the take without realising Ringo had gone to take a pee... so they went on for ages waiting for the drums... according to Paul McCartney, they then heard Ringo tiptoe back in the drum booth and he finally came in dead on time. Great story! I read it in the Beatles Anthology book that my mum has...

Burt
Old 4th June 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Chandler EMI Beatles?

Quote:
Originally posted by ziegenh5
Hello, I'm interested in the two newest Chandler offerings, the TG1 and the TG2 but I thought the Beatles used V72's(talking about pre's not the compressor) What's the deal? Are these from a specific Beatles era/album? Are these tube/solid state/Transformers? How would you compare the pre to Neve/API? How would you compare the compressor to something like an LA2A? For those of you who have tried these pieces what has been your experience?
Thanks,
Sean
The Chandler EMI stuff is based on the first non-tube EMI consoles installed at Abbey Road toward the end of the Beatles career. This was the console used for the Abbey Road record. It was used on a few Pink FLoyd records as well, although I am not sure which ones that would be.

I have not used the TG2 pre's yet, but I do love the TG1 compressor! In limit mode, it is very aggressive and pump-y. I was the one who compared it to 'Hey Jude' when used on piano, but I am in no way saying that the EMI compressor is what was used on the original recording -- it just reminded me a lot of it!

There have been several threads already about the TG1 and TG2. you may want to do a search for more user comments...

-John
Old 4th June 2003
Gear Maniac

Anthology

"No, that's not how it happened at all. I won't go into all of the sordid details, but they totally whitewashed the story in the Anthology!"

I'm glad for that - wouldn't want my mum reading that kind of stuff heh

Burt

Ps. C'mon, give us a hint of the truth....
Old 5th June 2003
Lives for gear
Re: Re: Beatles

Quote:
Originally posted by posterchild
I'm pretty sure you're right about "Hey Jude" being recorded at Trident Studios.
This thread made me get out the beatles recording sessions book by Mark Lewisohn which is awesome by the way! Just wanted to add, in that book on page 146 they talk about the Beatles going to Trident because Trident had an 8 track Machine and that Abbey road had not yet installed their new 8 track 3M recorder! Damn, Hey Jude done with 8 tracks! I'm gettin closer to sellin protools everyday!
daniel
Old 5th June 2003
Lives for gear

Thanks guys, these are definitely on my gear lust list. Anyone know what transformers are in these babies? A lot of guy's who do the clone thing copy the curcuit of the original and then swap out the transformer for something like a Jensen because the originals are too hard to find. I am really hoping this is not the case with the Chandler units because IME the sound is in the iron.

-Sean
Old 5th June 2003
member no 666

First... **** the Beatles.

Second... the Beatles **** through 'Rubber Soul' was done on the EMI "REDD 37" desk which employed V-72S modules and had no pan capability.

As previously mentioned... this desk was subsequently replaced with an "EMI TG series" desk... when, I'm not sure... but that "TG series" desk was in place for the recording of 'Dark Side of the Moon'.

"Hey Jude" was recorded by Malcolm Toft at Trident Studios on an original "A-Range" desk.
Old 5th June 2003
Gear Maniac

I have the Parlaphone release of that one but it's called "Shag the Beatles."
Old 5th June 2003
Lives for gear

Geoff Emmerick

I've read a Geoff Emmerick interview once...

I remember him telling that the EMI stuff was all based on American designs... But the were not allowed to buy them, so their technical staff tried to copy and improve the gear that the engineers wanted to have...

here it is:
http://mixonline.com/ar/audio_geoff_emerick/index.htm

Quote:
Really, it all started when I was mastering. We used to get American records in and wonder how they got the sounds they did. We, of course, were limited to EMI equipment. There was no outside equipment allowed in, apart from a few Altec compressors. If they did bring a piece of equipment in, they took it apart and rebuilt it…just to find out how it worked, I guess.

He also said that a Fairchild 660 is his favorite vocal compressor... (not was.. but still is!)
Old 5th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by slipperman
The TG-1 is the best sounding new pre I've heard in YEARS for many, many applications.

This thing screams CLASSIC.

SM.
Slipperman,
How does it compare to the Great River MP-NV ???
For example on electric (ROCK) guitars??

[btw, you mean TG-2... TG-1 is the compressor/limiter]
Old 5th June 2003
Gear Maniac

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fletcher
[B]First... **** the Beatles.

What will your wife say when you attempt this?
What then, work your way to the stones?
British rock has always been better than American
rock.....still is.
Old 6th June 2003
There is only one

Quote:
Originally posted by skip bitmin
British rock has always been better than American
rock.....still is.
no its not. the british swipe [afro]american music and repackage it to sell to the masses as a bunch of gay crackers.
Old 6th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
...the british swipe [afro]american music and repackage it to sell to the masses as a bunch of gay crackers.
are those anything like Saltines?
Old 6th June 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by slipperman
No, those are extremely happy nocturnal bank robbers.

SM.
You are one sick ****er.
Old 6th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by NathanEldred
You are one sick ****er.
you mean that's not a prerequisite for being here?
Old 7th June 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
no its not. the british swipe [afro]american music and repackage it to sell to the masses as a bunch of gay crackers.
Ha Ha Ha.... name any american rock song and I,ll
show you a better british one.
Old 7th June 2003
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally posted by skip bitmin
Ha Ha Ha.... name any american rock song and I,ll
show you a better british one.
"My Name is Mud" - Primus

If you can name a British equivalent I'd love to hear it.heh

JP

p.s. Les Claypool is sick. That dude is not from this planet.
Old 7th June 2003
Gear Maniac

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ElectriK Noize
[B]"My Name is Mud"

Dont be so hard on your-self my friend,what you
need is a woman.Heres what you do: place an ad
in the news paper and write this: Lost soul...looking
for mate, please comply.
Old 9th June 2003
Gear Addict

PLEASE wait for the book....

www.recordingthebeatles.com

There is MUCH mis-information being given here. Be careful what you hear and believe, please...
Old 9th June 2003
Gear Maniac

Wow!

That looks absolutely fascinating...

do you have a release date?

Burt
Old 9th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianK

There is MUCH mis-information being given here. Be careful what you hear and believe, please...
Hey Brian --

When is the book coming out?!?!?!?!?? Looking forward to checking it out...

Cheers,
John Paterno
Old 9th June 2003
Gear Addict

The best answer is: It will be done when we're satisfied it's right. It has taken over ten years to do the resarch, which now SEEMS about done. We are licensing photos and writing like crazy now to get it fleshed out. As we work to finish it, we HAVE to send it to the various engineers/technical people to verify that what we have written is correct (as close as one can do). It will get rewritten and revised as we go. Still - some new things just popped up that may be VERY important - we need to look into them.

But - we are just now putting together an update to the website. We feel no need to rush; this will get done once, so it must get done as well as we can.

Thanks for your interest!
Old 9th June 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianK

Its a dream come true...The site has a great look to it

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search