The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Another try at getting a downmix question answered.
Old 28th February 2010
Here for the gear

Another try at getting a downmix question answered.

I'd like to run the audio of my PVR through my Genelec 8240s but my idiotic cable provider has only enabled 5.0 output on the Motorolla PVR (yah, I know, I should be able to set the output for 2.0 at the box but this feature has not been enabled). I'd like to do a bit perfect downmix and the only options I can think of are a receiver that has that capability or software in my computer. Does anyone know of software that is Apple compatible and that would allow me to downmix Dolby 5.0 to PCM 2.0. I need to be able to input a Dolby 5.0 digital data stream to my iMac, downmix to PCM 2.0 and output that digital data stream.

Ps I know I could run the stereo analog into the Genelecs but doubt I would get optimal results using the Motorolla DA processor and then letting the Gens reconvert to digital and then back again to analog (seems idiotic to me).

Pps I got a suggestion on the Mastering forum to use Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac OS X but that looks like it's designed to manipulate compressed files. I want a bit perfect downmix of the full resolution original.
Old 28th February 2010
Lives for gear

There are no software realtime decoders, Windows or Mac OS.

A Dolby DP564 will do this, but they are expensive. There are a few PCI soundcards that have Dolby Digital Live (and equivalent DTS) hardware decoding, but I can't speak for their quality (a $100-200 soundcard probably won't be much better than the Moto Box) or if they have Mac drivers.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search