The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New studio plan. What you think.
Old 3rd June 2003
Lives for gear

ok, after seeing what your real concerns are (front view to the iso rooms from the control room, and iso rooms united into the same space) I propose you a 3rd layout:

It's similar to your latest colorful sketch, but I've mirrored the situation of the control room. I'm sure you'd regret having the recording spaces just by the entrance.

Again i've kept the windows the way i put them on the 2nd drawing, to let sunlight get throughout the rooms.

EDIT: hey, now that i look at this last drawing i realize it looks EXACTLY the same as one of the TownHouse Studios (veryfamous London studios, originally founded by Branson)
Old 3rd June 2003
There is only one

none of your new plans are coming up and your server seems to be down.

you need to decide what kinda studio you are going to have. do you really need a "reception" area? i wouldnt put the bathroom or the lounge seperated by the live rooms because what if one needs to use it or go from the rec room to the CR during a take? its a bitch.

if you keep the WC and the rec room together on the courtyard side, it allows for bathroom access and outside [smoking] access to those not "in session" and by putting the CR with those, then they have the ability to come and check whats going on without disturbing a "take". putting the live rooms on the entrance side makes for easy load in and out.

just some things to think about.
Old 3rd June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
none of your new plans are coming up and your server seems to be down.
Is this referred to my images? then sht, our servers are not down, it's we're having a damn DNS problem. Some people see the images some do not, depending on what particular DNS server YOUR computer is using.

excuse me, have to kill someone at our domain service provider.
Old 3rd June 2003
Lives for gear

alphajerk: yep, that was the biggest problem in the PDF. I love the way of economical splaying walls at this long narrow space. I myself don't care to look at the right to se through a window and it could be more relaxing for performers if you don't look straight at them when in the working position.

jindrich: I see your images
Old 3rd June 2003
There is only one

davemc's images... but they are up now.
Old 3rd June 2003
There is only one

Quote:
Originally posted by davemc

Hope this works..Yes the drawing are not nice...
Just does this look better to people...
YES! i like this one, even though its hard to make out real well. i wouldnt mind seeing this with better resolution.
Old 3rd June 2003
Lives for gear

ok... but it looks problematic to get in ;-) too narrow, actually the doors are wrong around WC... and I have no idea what is the first room about? a lounge? for who? dog ;-) or two?
And what about the store? Maybe some built-in wardrobes (or how you say it in english) can do it for something, but I don't see any space you can put things in.

OK as a scheme, but I'd make more space for "little lounge" and the doors.
Old 3rd June 2003
Lives for gear

actually alphajerk has a point, or two.

the courtyard makes for a perfect "dont disturb" place, and a great smoking room. And having the recording room just by the entrance door makes for easy load in/out of drums, those heavy marshalls, etc

So if you can deal with that (having to stop the session everytime you want to get in/out the Studio, or to open the pizza delivery boy), here we go:

I think i'm doctoring in architecture, my father would be proud.
Matucha where're yours? I know, I know, you're on exam season
Old 3rd June 2003
Lives for gear

wait, now that i think of it you cannot do ANYthing you want.

Your floorplan must go to some architect or comission on the local council to get permissions for the bulldozing work
And as this studio is going to be a public place, you must agree with several rules, the most exigent of them being those referring to the fire emergency situations. You must have special fire-proof doors opoening the right way, and you can't design a public place where everybody is at the opposite side of the emergency exit (the front door), because that would be a disaster in case of possible fire, etc etc

You must also consider rules for access for disabled people, emergency lights, etc etc (at least in europe)

not to rain on your parade though, you know
Old 4th June 2003
Lives for gear

Thanks jindrich, for your help, hope your having fun doing this.
Your latest plan is getting similar to my latest.
Currently the first 2 ISO booths and storage area are there already and the control room window wall is there also.
So construction would be quicker, which I like.

This keeps all the doors where they are at the front.

There are a couple of skylights in the place, one will end up in the live room and one in the control room. ISO2 could double as a vocal booth if I put a window in..

About bulldozing the factory shell is already there, I am only changing the inside.
Old 4th June 2003
Lives for gear

Ok guys.

I am pretty happy with where the control room and rec area/wc are...
What should I do with the tracking room.. Leave it one big room.. divide it in half?. put 3 small iso closets in each corner and leave one corner open for the drum kit. Put two small iso rooms. one room?????
The front door can be moved more to the bottom of the pic, its actually a rollerdoor opening onto where the front door is now.

Thanks again.. I have posted the gear question seperatly as it seems to be goobled up with the plan.. thanks all for your help.
Old 4th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by jindrich

I think jindrich got it right with this one. Lose the six separate doors and go with an entrance soundlock plus a vocal booth with sliding glass. Amps could go in the entry soundlock in a pinch and the angled walls break up the bounce from the control room glass at the other end of the tracking room. Put your storage space in the lounge where it would be handy to the control room. Nice layout.
Old 4th June 2003
Lives for gear

Well sent off to the guy doing the acoustics your plan jindrich for consideration.(thanks a lot for your help)

Does everyone like that one the best.. Any problems with it?
Storage is the only problem I see. A drummer with lots of cases etc etc.. The Lounge is very small to start with..

I asked if the live room is empty where would he put ISO booths if any. I have 5 seperate recording rooms now, so we were thinking of keeping the same. Although I do see the light about one nice large room.
Old 4th June 2003
Gear Head

You gut's have hammered this out nicely,
Your last pondering question was the iso's (1?, 2?,)
remember alphajerk don't want to be put in no small room.
I would be in favor of loosing one of the iso's, if you make sure wa got xlr jack's all over. 4 in lounge 2 in bathroom 4 in different spots in control room, in conjunction with you normal mic panels.
Old 4th June 2003
Lives for gear

jindrich> yep, working on semestral project of metro station just now ;-). Deadline is on monday so I have days without sleep before me... so no pictures, sorry.
Old 4th June 2003
There is only one

i like that plan as a starting point... obviously you might have to tweak it more to get room sizes comfortable.
Old 4th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by matucha
jindrich> yep, working on semestral project of metro station just now ;-). Deadline is on monday so I have days without sleep before me... so no pictures, sorry.
...but with enought time to read and post in this forums. That's my gearslutz heh(btw, i'm NOT 35; i'll write you an email later)

davemc,
yes, the truth is that I've really enjoyed anaylizing, planning and drawing all those pictures. I discovered years ago (while helping some friend to design his space) this is a facet of all the rec industry world I enjoy most. I've been drawing all my life, and having a father who's an architect himself, thru the years I went to acquire all the basics of building-design/planing, or whatever you call it.

As of the iso rooms, I'm with those who think it's not neccessary to have that many, and that big spaces are 100% more versatile (you can always make a big room to turn smaller -like with gobos- but you can't do the opposite). A single big space and a Vox iso will be ebough for you.
Regarding my latest design, yeah, the storage space is missing, I soon realized about that. I did something to brought it back but it didnt fit well. Today i've been quite busy. As soon as i have a moment I'll try to make room for it. Any other change?

I'm glad my ideas are helping you. We all are looking forward to see your new studio finished. (Not quite sure if i'll make for the opening party, Australia is a little too far away from Mallorca heh )
Old 4th June 2003
Lives for gear

I think the plan has improved, but what the **** do i know?

The bathroom isn't ADA compliant... Since you are redoing over 50% of the space you'll have to bring it up to current spec. Inless you have a public one nearby...It'll get much bigger, roughly 5x8 feet. You ncan get away with one due to your low occupancy but there are several things that an architect is going to tell you that will eat into the already limited space.

Some other things to think about is the potential of stacking uses vertically. you can get thre amp booths high with a 9-10 foot ceiling. Some storage-long term can go high too. Utilizing the sopace to it's fullest takes imagination, i'm not sure we're at that level of detail yet but from my experience, it helps to factor it in quickly.

A couch with a tv is all you'll need for relaxation. I wish i had that much.
Old 5th June 2003
Lives for gear

Dave.........

as we discussed this arvo the latest plan is the best and most flexible.

-You dont want **** and quadboxes to be carted through a CR cos they rip **** up and the nuff nuffs dont care..

-They wont be bitchin about luggin it as far!

-The entrance can also double as another booth which is what u love!

-The bigger space means better drums and with ya high ceiling it will mean more room for the drums to breath compared to your current room and previous design. Big drum rooms give outside engineers more reason to come and track @ urs.

-Gobos or a movable wall will help u trap and isolate things if need be.

-u need more natural light to keep the vibe etc..

-Perhaps u can build a lil area out inthe courtyard to store stuff?

my 2 cents worth.. lol

But its the best nad most flexible plan to date!

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 5th June 2003
Lives for gear

Well I have four skylights in the place which could be angled out to let more light in.
One would be in each room probably, this is from memory apart from the vox room in the plan.

Everyone seems to like this the best then...
Old 5th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by archtop
I would be in favor of loosing one of the iso's, if you make sure wa got xlr jack's all over. 4 in lounge 2 in bathroom 4 in different spots in control room, in conjunction with you normal mic panels.
Yeah, that's critical. Your original iso layout only included one booth with a window, which you keep. The rest of the rooms amount to multi-function iso closets. Track the vocalist/ acoustic guitarist in the booth, drummer plus electric guitarist in the live room (with his Marshall in the entry soundlock), bass player in the control room with the mains cranked up for bass inspiration and his SVT mic'ed in the lounge. You could add a second guitarist to the control room as well, with his Deluxe in the crapper.
Maintaining sight-lines through more than three rooms is a tough trick, and near impossible in a long, shotgun-loaded space like yours. You may lose a job that calls for drums, upright bass, piano, fiddle, acoustic guitar, and vocals, all live and isolated, but that's gonna require a serious studio-in-the-round configuration anyway....
Old 6th June 2003
Lives for gear

Yes the lounge and toilet as an amp room already crossed my mind. If they do not want bleed well you have the other rooms that can be used for tracking.

Will catch teh acoutsic guy today to get his thoughts.
Hope to start in July???? Hope to
Old 6th June 2003

Hi Dave,

I don't wish to step on anybody's toes, but the large amount of trapping at the rear of the controlroom to my mind is not good. You really need to get some HF reflections off the rear wall, controlled and diffuse. Instead I would strongly recommend installing limp mass type bass traps in the rear and trapping the front half of the sidewalls, and around the window, where possible. What will the ceiling shape/finish be ?

Cheers
Tim
Buzz Audio
Old 6th June 2003
Lives for gear

hi all,
i've been very busy lately, no time for new sketchings. Anyway, this is my last one:

It's almost the same as the 4th, just added a very small (but very needed) store closet near the bathroom.

As everyone agrees this layout it's the best just go ahead with it. Now the thing to consider, as Matucha pointed out, is that i didn't pay too much attention to wall width in my drawings (were just sketches for judging room placement, so I deliberately omitted that). Now it's the time to do so. Consider walls will get even thicker -therefore your space will get samller- with further acoustical treatments.

I'm gonna travel to the very nice Czech Republic next week, so wont be avalaible for further drawings or comments. I'll be back in 10 days or so.
Let's see what you guys add, modify or improve.

Cheers
Old 7th June 2003
Gear Addict

How about making the door from the entrance lock go inwards into the live room and make better use of the space in the entrance as a Booth for amps maybe?

As it is now it's wasting some space but I dont know what the scale is so it might not be an option.

Regards,
Magnus
Old 12th June 2003
Lives for gear

Ok got a follow up plan back..
We left the orgainal front rooms in, as they are there now and do not have to be rebuilt. Also as mentioned I really do need the storage area on left the left when you walk in. Probably put a window in from the large booth to the live room.

New Indent plan version ??

So any more comments.

Gear wise..
Well I picked up a solid state Pultec, a pair of 2254/e's and getting a Soundelux ifet tomorrow.
Old 12th June 2003
There is only one

so what is the final size of the large live room? are those cm? what is it in feet?
Old 12th June 2003
Lives for gear

umm yes cm's
4.8 x 4.5 times roof 3 meters.
so in feet umm remembering as I had to convert everything for me mum..
15' 8" by 14' 9" by 9' 10"
Hope I have done no stonehenge type calulations or else its a studio for dwarfs.
If it was not for the storage aspect I could pick up another 3 and a half foot by cutting the front booths down.
Also I have storage on top of the large booth at the moment as it is only about 7 foot high ceiling.
Old 20th June 2003
Lives for gear

So with no new replies.. Is everyone happy with the last design...
Finalising things this week. Will post build pics.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search