The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Soundcraft Series 1600 Analog Console???
Old 20th May 2010
Here for the gear

Thank you Jim Williams, your insight and help is much appreciated !
Old 20th May 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
James, for your setup and projects, I really think you'd be much happier with an API 1608.

Hey James, I know Jim W loves working on those old Soundcrafts, seems like a pretty cost effective way of getting a really nice, simple, and great sounding board. I say go for it. thumbsup
Old 20th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
I say go for it. thumbsup
I read in another post James got the Chandler mini mixer.
Old 20th May 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos147 View Post
I read in another post James got the Chandler mini mixer.
Nevermind then. heh
Old 20th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Modern Japanese transistors will lower the noise, but THD is high with this design at higher gains.

They can be rewired into trans-amps by cutting the opamp feedback loop and tying that feedback resistor to the inverting transistor emmiter. That will lower preamp noise below that of a mic and will lower THD levels considerably. You can get -129.6 EIN with that preamp if reworked.
Jim, what transistors do you recommend as replacements?
Also, which side of the feedback resistor gets tied to the inverting transistor?

Does anyone else who owns one of these have problems with the master buss signal "leaking" into the aux sends? More so into 1-4 and less so into 5-8 with mine.

It's been a couple years now since I did all the mods (beefing up the psu, recapping with larger electro values, adding wima bypass caps, rechipping with LME's, adding massive amounts of psu decoupling), and I love this board! I've had a couple guest engineers in my studio that were more than pleasantly surprised by the sonics.
Old 20th May 2010
PNP's. Hitachi 2SA1083/4/5's are great for that. Out of production so have fun finding them.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 10th June 2014
Here for the gear

Hey Folks!

I'm hoping to find some help here, because I don't want to open a new thread.

I recently bought a Soundcraft 1600 Producer Edition (with the Patchbay) but unfortunately without a power supply. Thanks to Soundcraft, there are 4 or 5 PDF files including a schematic for the power supply.
I'm ok with building it on my own from scratch, but the first big problem is the power transformer! I found some companies here in Germany that could build the right transformer, but without any information about the current on each winding, they can't build it of course...
An idea is to measure them on my own with some laboratory power supplies, but the board is currently ripped into pieces, due to rebuilding and cleaning it

Does anyone have more information?

Question #2

Is there a more effective way in cleaning the potetiometers, than cleaning every single one of them?^^ This is very time consuming.
I've heard about cleaning them in an ultrasonic bath. But I don't want to risk it, because of the water...

And #3

I also have to build a proper stand for that big heavy beast... Measurements and which wood to choose would be very very helpful! I thought of multiplex plates.

And if you read it so far, thank you very much for your interest!
I'm thankful for any help!
Old 10th June 2014
Lives for gear

Interesting how many good reviews this rather dreadfull board gets. Its definitely one of the worst sounding soundcraft mixers ever build , if not the worst sounding soundcraft mixer, thanks to a cheap op amp only design with weak output stages and cheap cmos switches in any channel.. really the worst soudncraft i ever had.. Even the spirits beat it.
And thanks to the low low prices theese boards go for i really wonder why this thread is in high end..
Old 10th June 2014
Gear Addict

I use my 1600 mainly as a sub for my siemens/neumann active mixer/summing, which sounds gorgeous, but I don't agree with you in any regard. The 1600 sounds quite good, many engineers like them, it's built like a tank and never let me down, and it's very simple to repair if something (rarely) fails because the simple design which IMO is the reason the console sounds good. The auxes are noisy but it is what it is... a mod can be done to improve it with star grounding. I neither agree that a Spirit sounds better. BTW: which console are you using ATM?
Old 10th June 2014
Lives for gear

me? an allan&heath syncon a and some even older broadcast stuff..

but what do you mean with sub? have you bypassed the master module and sum the soundcraft channels ? the sum module is the weak point of the 1600.. the channels are pretty much the same like in all other soundcrafts..
Old 11th June 2014
Gear Addict

I sum the subgroups in the Siemens mixer. I use 3 stereo groups for drums, fx, and whatever I want to (sometimes guitars, as the 1600 eq is quite good for electrics).
The rest: voices, bass, etc go direct to the siemens.
I also use good eqs and compressors
I like the 1600 sound A LOT more than an ITB mix.
I bought new, good TL72 for all the channels and some esoteric OpAmp for the master module. Over the years some techs tried to upgrade it with 5532s. It sounds worse IMO.
I like how it sounds as is. It can be upgraded, but you need a bigger PSU, star ground, and with the bigger PSU you can try the expensive OpAmps on channels. I decided to take a different route: build a modular mixer with Siemens and Neumann modules. The Siemens sounds clearly better, but you can't really compare active faders with haufe transformers and a full balanced path with the 1600. Anyway it sounds a lot better than many consoles and I put a few Ameks and A&H on the bag, not to mention Mackies and more modern Soundcrafts.
How is that the sum module is not good in the 1600? why?. My understanding is that the OpAmps may be the problem as sum is passive.
Old 11th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpiccolini View Post
I sum the subgroups in the Siemens mixer. I use 3 stereo groups for drums, fx, and whatever I want to (sometimes guitars, as the 1600 eq is quite good for electrics).
The rest: voices, bass, etc go direct to the siemens.
I also use good eqs and compressors
I like the 1600 sound A LOT more than an ITB mix.
I bought new, good TL72 for all the channels and some esoteric OpAmp for the master module. Over the years some techs tried to upgrade it with 5532s. It sounds worse IMO.
I like how it sounds as is. It can be upgraded, but you need a bigger PSU, star ground, and with the bigger PSU you can try the expensive OpAmps on channels. I decided to take a different route: build a modular mixer with Siemens and Neumann modules. The Siemens sounds clearly better, but you can't really compare active faders with haufe transformers and a full balanced path with the 1600. Anyway it sounds a lot better than many consoles and I put a few Ameks and A&H on the bag, not to mention Mackies and more modern Soundcrafts.
How is that the sum module is not good in the 1600? why?. My understanding is that the OpAmps may be the problem as sum is passive.
main problem was the cmos switches for the mute circuit.. they was not good for the sound thats at least the impression i got.. actually had the 1624.. maybe the 1600 sounds better , but for me the time with the 1624 was not especially good sounding and i also have met a few people that share that opinion..

In the end i used one pair of the group busses to feed directly a neumann summing module..and stereo fader.. that sounded ok than actually..so an alternative direct master bus without touching a soundcraft output. but i sold the thing never the less when i changed rooms..
Old 11th June 2014
Lives for gear

Hi
The exercise of 'simply' swapping chips and expecting significant improvement is futile as in many cases the problems are deeper than that. I believe the channels are not too dissimilar to the 800 modules and they suffer from pretty bad 'crosstalk' between signals pre fader and post fader (on the same strip of course) and this will severely impact on the performance. I went through an exercise on an a couple of 800s and produced 4 'variants' of 'upgrade'. The 'fancy' 5 and 6 Dollars apiece chips did not fare well and the 'best' sounding variant ended up using a new chip in the mic amp, another in the EQ and most significantly, some track rework. I also got rid of the 'hum' which can be induced into these desks without resorting to an extra 100 metres of earth wire.
Matt S
Old 11th June 2014
Gear Addict

1600 and 800 channels are the same.
I'm interested in the mod Can you elaborate?
Old 21st November 2014
mty
Here for the gear

Hello y'all.

Thank you for a very informative thread.

Maybe someone could help me shed some light on a 1600 related issue.
I'm currently installing a 1600 in my home studio.

On 2 of the channels everything is fine apart from the microphone inputs which seem dead.
Line in on those channels are fine as is the auxes and EQ. If anyone has had a similar problem is there a simple fix?

On another channel the mic input works but is extremely quiet.

I realise that it it could be several different problems but sometimes the fix is within reach of a musician type with limited under-the-hood knowledge.
I could off course buy some modules on ebay and replace them with but if the problem is reasonably easy to locate and fix I might just have a go!

Big thanks
Old 21st November 2014
Lives for gear

Hi
Carefully pull modules out and check all internal cabling, particularly to the input connectors is all plugged in neatly. Pull and refit modules with the power OFF.
Matt S
Old 24th November 2014
mty
Here for the gear

Thanks for your reply.

I've checked all the input connectors and they seem to be all fine.

Is there any particular capacitors that are prone to fail?
Old 24th November 2014
Lives for gear

Hi
Just because capacitors are a GS 'pet hate' does not necessarily mean that they are at fault. There are a lot of things that could be wrong.
Get a technician to sort it out for you.
Matt S
Old 30th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mty View Post
Hello y'all.

Thank you for a very informative thread.

Maybe someone could help me shed some light on a 1600 related issue.
I'm currently installing a 1600 in my home studio.

On 2 of the channels everything is fine apart from the microphone inputs which seem dead.
Line in on those channels are fine as is the auxes and EQ. If anyone has had a similar problem is there a simple fix?

On another channel the mic input works but is extremely quiet.

I realise that it it could be several different problems but sometimes the fix is within reach of a musician type with limited under-the-hood knowledge.
I could off course buy some modules on ebay and replace them with but if the problem is reasonably easy to locate and fix I might just have a go!

Big thanks
Is it possible that the wires from the xlrs to the channel have been swapped accidentally? That would make 2 channels appear not to work and would be an easy thing to happen.
Old 31st January 2015
Lives for gear

just helped a seller move one of these today in SoCal if anyone is seeking a producer edition with patchbay...
Old 27th February 2015
mty
Here for the gear

Thanks you all for your suggestions. I ended up buying some spare channels off eBay.
Old 27th February 2015
Gear Addict

in my 1600, when something goes wrong (it happens rarely) usually it's dirt in the patchbay; but if it's not, it's most certainly an OpAmp

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search