The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The best flanger Plugin Presets/Expansions
Old 26th December 2009
Gear Addict

Real tape flanging for me

Last edited by StudioKing; 26th December 2009 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 27th December 2009
Gear Maniac

unfortunately I think the "high-end" way to do is is with 2 tape machines..

everything else seems to be a lower-grade / lazier way of approximating that sound.. but until you produce the effect in the physical realm.. it seems like there will be some misgivings. I've yet to hear the FoxRox TZF, which theoretically sounds awesome, but for less than $400 and some turntables [or tape decks], it's the cheapest and best sounding way I've found for that exact sound.

check it here:
sines - Mechanical Xtraktion (Todd Sines rmx) - SoundCloud
at 2:00 the cymbals start flanging hard..

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykostx View Post
I was gonna say, a tape machine and your fingers. This is the high end forum, right? But for quick FX, any pedal will do, they are all different. I actually like the more expensive Boss one. Its good enough. Do they make a tape on a loop flanger? That would be cool! I like a nasty loud delay line before flanger for trippy effects. DID DO DAD DOT DUUNNNNNN!! stike
Old 27th December 2009
Gear Maniac

oh yes, love this one too. but more for modulated nuttiness instead of smooth stereo flanging...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc View Post
ADA STD-1 stereo tapped delay is a great flanger.

Ivan
Old 27th December 2009
Lives for gear

Some nice tape flanging . . .

Old 27th December 2009
Lives for gear

Hi Michael. The blue modular analog MXR rack stuff from the 70s is amazing. Clearmountain and Michael Barbiero have been using them for decades (maybe they both discovered them at Mediasound!).
Old 27th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Alvin View Post
If anyone is interested, I have one of those 4 space MXR racks with two Auto Flangers and two Auto Phasers for sale. I want 2k for whole rack. The condition is excellent. Fletcher bought my other MXR rack from me a few months back and he was very happy about the purchase. These are great flangers and phasers and they are hard to find. I would keep them, but I need cash more than I need these things.
Just saw this, those are what I was talking about.
Old 27th December 2009
Gear Maniac

mxr
Old 27th December 2009
Gear Guru

Though it doesn't have cache of the cool ass vintage pieces mentioned, the Kurzweil Mangler has some really good sounding flanging. My person favorite is called Ned Flangers, but I might just like it for the name.
Old 27th December 2009
I came up with a way to create a real flange effect in the digital domain that mimics how it was done with analog tape a while back that uses no plugins or outboard processing.

You basically cut/edit the piece that you want to flange. Put this edit on another stereo track lined up with the original, with the same delay compensation (similar to how you would set up for parallel compression) take the piece you edited on the other track and "pitch change" by a couple/few samples/cents without changing the tuning and lower it's volume a couple db. You can then move the track forward or backward by just 3 to 6 samples which will give you your + or - feedback and rate and adjust to taste.

This will give you the same effect as tape flanging with the big wind up.

The digital flange effect I'm describing happens at 1:58 until 2:15 in this song that I produced and engineered: The direct download link is: http://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/nxrw8f
Old 27th December 2009
Lives for gear

Interesting resurrected thread.

I was a little surprised their wasn't more mention of the tc FireworX as a possible successor to the MTM. With a bit of tweaking it nails at least some of the Time Mod thang (along with a battery of tricks all its own...).
Old 27th December 2009
Lives for gear

Has anyone here tried the UA EMT 250 flange effect?
Old 28th December 2009
Gear Addict

ADA STD-1 stereo tapped delay

Quote:
Originally Posted by sines View Post
oh yes, love this one too. but more for modulated nuttiness instead of smooth stereo flanging...
And I think it is one of the best stereo chorus sounds you can get.
Old 12th February 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep Dude View Post

My 80's MXR flanger is also great.

If you try to run the foot pedals direct from your converters you'll get a thin sound (not even close to how they sound). You need to correctly "reamp" the signal to guitar level so they see the ohms they are designed for and then DI them back into your system.
I Frankensteind together a way into and out of Protools into my mxr flanger pedal using the Aphex 124a but am missing a 1/4 to TT cable so I had to run it back thru a preamp and it was too distorted. I should have some new cables this week so I can test it properly..it did flange.
But I could probably use a proper reamp box to make it easier
Old 20th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyersound View Post
Hi Michael. The blue modular analog MXR rack stuff from the 70s is amazing. Clearmountain and Michael Barbiero have been using them for decades (maybe they both discovered them at Mediasound!).
I found these a bit hi fi and "polite". I won't knock them but will just say I couldn't get a really deep swoosh out of them.
Old 22nd February 2010
Back then we used to wire a pot through a resistor to adjust the feedback or regeneration. You could get them to almost whistle. A lot of studios did that.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 22nd February 2010
That sounds like a cool mod. Thanks for posting.
Old 18th August 2013
Lives for gear

...and 3 years later...

If there is time to experiment, I like to take tape echo with feedback at minimum, wet only, speed knob wiggled > printed and nudged back. Yummy.

Dynacord TAM21 recently got its way in my studio. Inspiring machine, the envelope follower makes it very interesting on percussive content. So far the most interesting stuff that I got out of it was on drums, but it also efortlessly widened some mono synth lines. Fat and organic sounding. If only it wasn't 3U high.

I'm attaching a sample of my first go with the unit. Please ignore the panning, the DA output was plugged to a Left channel at the back instead of mono at the front.
Attached Files

dynacord_rychlotest.mp3 (2.52 MB, 1150 views)

Old 18th August 2013
Lives for gear

My TAM21 finally gave up last year. But until then it found its way onto many productions.
Obviously on drums, but also to dynamically widen backing or effect vocals, or clean, dynamic funk guitar.
If you automate the send level, you can get it to do some really crazy stuf that I haven't heard any other machine do.
And if you also have a Sherman Filterbank or a modular synth and connect their respective CV jacks with the TAM's...
Old 18th August 2013
Lives for gear

I hope it won't give up on me any time soon. What failed in yours?

Will see what SH09 or Pro 1 will add with the CV. I'm not sure what to expect though.

What can you achieve with send automation? Triggering the envelope circuit in a different way?
Old 18th August 2013
Lives for gear

The ams d 220 is the best TZF that i know of
Old 30th July 2015
Lives for gear

This thread needs to flange on forever!!

Anyway, anyone know what kind of flanger, or whatever that is, was used on the intro clean guitars for Bryan Adams' "Run To You"? I know it's BC so I'm guessing tape but damn that sounds so subtle and sweet and "right"
Old 30th July 2015
Lives for gear
The Boss BF3 flanger is really cool. It also has a stutter effect, like a square wave vibrato on full intensity. It's not a tape flange but it is very "analog sounding". Does anybody make a flanger that uses actual strips of tape on looped reels? I know there used to be a rack mount box like that to warm up digital recordings.
Old 30th July 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramism View Post
This thread needs to flange on forever!!

Anyway, anyone know what kind of flanger, or whatever that is, was used on the intro clean guitars for Bryan Adams' "Run To You"? I know it's BC so I'm guessing tape but damn that sounds so subtle and sweet and "right"
I always thought that might be Roland Jazz chorus amp or a pedal of some sort with a Strat for sure.
Old 30th July 2015
Gear Guru

The effect isn't constantly "filter-sweeping" like real flanging would do, so it's not that. My guess, given the time period, would be an Eventide Harmonizer or two, either 910 or 949.
Old 30th July 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
The effect isn't constantly "filter-sweeping" like real flanging would do, so it's not that. My guess, given the time period, would be an Eventide Harmonizer or two, either 910 or 949.
I'm sure that's a good possibility. I went and listened (after posting) and there are a couple different things going on in the clean guitar. I still think the break in the middle is a Jazz Chorus, which was the first thing I thought of. I forgot how the main arpeggio was effected.
Old 31st July 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
I still think the break in the middle is a Jazz Chorus...
You're probably right. When I went to listen to it on Youtube, I didn't get further than about 15 seconds.
Old 31st July 2015
Lives for gear

A/DA Flanger/Phasers are just badass sounding to me. They just sound so damn 3D.
Old 23rd December 2015
Here for the gear

There are some additional, remarkable and amazing pedals and racks that have not been mentioned in this thread yet.
I could tell you about them but then I'd have to kill u.

Go to modezero.com for samples of dozens and dozens of effects pedals and rack units including but not limited to flangers and phasers.
That site has been around for years and does comprehensive comparisons, albeit not every device ever made is included.

Glen/Flangetastik
Old 23rd December 2015
Here for the gear

There are some additional, remarkable and amazing pedals and racks that have not been mentioned in this thread yet.
I could tell you about them but then I'd have to kill u.

Go to modezero.com for samples of dozens and dozens of effects pedals and rack units including but not limited to flangers and phasers.
That site has been around for years and does comprehensive comparisons, albeit not every device ever made is included.

Glen/Flangetastik
Old 24th April 2016
Lives for gear

ADA STD-1 after a while shines again. Almost forgotten rack flangers and more.
Chase Bliss makes excellent flanger, with his own twist.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search