The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Warming up YOUR LA2A - how long?
Old 21st October 2005
Lives for gear

Warming up YOUR LA2A - how long?

Mine takes like 15 ~ 20 minutes AT LEAST to warm up and sound right. If I try and rush things before it's warm, everything thing that goes through it sounds like hairy ass.

What about you guys? Seems kind of long to me.

Vintage gray Teletronix, refurbed by Urei @ 15 years ago.
Old 21st October 2005
Gear Addict

I try and give all my tube gear 2 to 3 hours to warm up when possible.
Old 21st October 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrecording
I try and give all my tube gear 2 to 3 hours to warm up when possible.

Same here!
Old 21st October 2005
member no 666

We turn off the tube gear every night... it goes back on when we start the next day [which usually means that it's on for at least a 1/2 hour before the session starts as that is the minimum lead time the assistant is allowed for a session].

When we turn off all the equipment in the facility, everything is turned on usually 3 or 4 hours before the projected start time of a session
Old 21st October 2005
Gear Nut

Sorry a bit OT
BUT
Does it damage the equipment if you turn it all on/off at once at the power point ?
Or is it better to turn of each device individually, at its on/off switch.
Old 21st October 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiliconAudioLab
Mine takes like 15 ~ 20 minutes AT LEAST to warm up and sound right. If I try and rush things before it's warm, everything thing that goes through it sounds like hairy ass.

What about you guys? Seems kind of long to me.

Vintage gray Teletronix, refurbed by Urei @ 15 years ago.
I'd have a tech look at it. Even though it is reccomended that tube gear be on for 1/2 hour it shouldn't sound as bad as you state after the initial 2min or so. I've got a re-issue La2a, manley vari-mu, 2 gates sta-levels, tab funkenwerk v72, Summit eq and none of them sound like "hairy ass" after 2 min. Even though I prefer longer warm ups, they are all very usable in a pinch with a short warm up.
A few years ago my Crown DC300A exhibited the long warm up/ hairy ass problem and I luckily got a very knowledgeable tech on the phone at Crown and he knew immediately what the problem was. He sent me two capacitors about the size of my little fingernail that fixed the problem.
Best of luck. Rick
Old 21st October 2005
Lives for gear

Thought about a capacitor issue - real nervous about which ones to replace. I gotta believe bad ones are closer to the output stage but I'm a little spooked about killing the LA2's mojo.

About the off topic on/off at wall vs. each unit on/off - YEAH I'd like to know that too. On the side of the rack (Argosy actually - the MAX MOJO section) the LA2a is on all go on/off with one switch. My DMX-R100 Sony mixer goes on this same way- hmmmm

Here's one: Is it harder on the gear to leave it on like most of the time (ie 6 days a week) or better to turn on/off once (sometimes more) a day?
Old 21st October 2005
i suggest half an hour to an hour for any type of valve equipment is normal. that goes for guitar valve amps as well. they actually seem to get quieter once they hit that spot of temperature stability .
Old 21st October 2005

Hey SiliconAudioLab,
I think you need to tell us what your definition of "hairy ass" is here. Am I the only one that thinks this means 20% distortion and signal breaking up? Seems like everybody else is thinking "hairy ass" means "less than optimum". I realize that for optimum performance that tubes need a while to stabilize but I also realize that in my 30+ years of experience any tube device should pass a signal within 2-3 minutes maximum that is well out of gross distortion range. So, please inform inquiring minds....are you talking gross distortion for 20 minutes or just not as pleasing as you would like for 20 minutes?
thanks, Rick
Old 21st October 2005
Lives for gear

HAIRY distortion. Five o'clock shadow hair - with those occasional weird long hairs.

BTW What *IS* the deal with that? I have 1465 hairs on my face. They all behave and grow according to the rules and regulations in the beard growth spec.

But then there's those, like, 5 rebel hairs scattered in random places around the face that are like 3/4 inch long and longer than the others even though they were all trimmed at the same time @24 hours ago. What's up with that? And can we confirm it REALLY is the same ones or is it one around that area but never the exact same one?

Aaaaaaaaaaaanyway....I know tubes add a sense of hair/air but this is bit more distorted than what is expected.

It might need the output cap(s) replaced... but once it's warmed up (for like going on 20 minutes) then it seems fine.
Old 21st October 2005

Well, since I don't know what your 5 o'clock shadow is like I can only guess at your definition of "hairy ass". PLEEEze don't tell me what your....oh, never mind.
By the way, as to those rebel hairs, you haven't been bitten by a wolf recently, have you? Just checking. If you, or your La2a get any worse, I would suggest you seek professional help immediately.
Cheers and beware of the full moon, Rick
Old 21st October 2005
Lives for gear

yep
Attached Images
Warming up YOUR LA2A - how long?-smiley-beard.jpg 
Old 10th November 2005
Lives for gear

So then I hear somthin' goin': BbbbbbBbbbbbBbBBBbBbbbbb..... in a low freq motor boat kinda way.

After soloing 50 freakin channels: THERE!!! RIGHT THERE! The LA2A!!! Ahhhh!! Not service time for that!!?!?!?
I KNEW IT WASN'T SOUNDING RIGHT!!

On a hunch: http://www.tubedepot.com. Replace all 4 AND spring for the one Telefunkin tube (what can I say I'm sucker for that word).

Pop them in today - no more ass - only GOOD hair aaaaand no more motor boat.

AHHHHHHhhhhhhhhh..... heh : )
Old 24th November 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiliconAudioLab View Post
I have 1465 hairs on my face
How on earth did you count the number of hairs on your face?

Amazing!
Old 24th November 2018
I was at a studio that had new UA LA2-A and it reminded me how wonderful and nicer it sounded on vocals and bass guitar over the plug in's. Plug in's are still nice but damm this compressor is sooo good.
Old 25th November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezident View Post
How on earth did you count the number of hairs on your face?

Amazing!
Epic bump.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search