The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Beesneez Tribute 1 vs Flea 47 vs Wunder CM7/GT Condenser Microphones
Old 11th February 2014
  #31
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Studio RI View Post
Lou,

I've heard about Ben's capsules, and I've also heard a lot of samples of several of his mics. They all have "that" sound, which I attribute primarily to a great quality capsule.

To me, the T1 and the Flea both have that magic over others. I guess where I'm torn is on two scores: 1) the Flea just looks more like a u47 and 2) I have not heard samples of just the T1 micing up a source at a distance.

So, if anyone has directly compared these two mics, please say something!

Angus, a Wagner would be great, Voxorama too, but more than I would like to spend.
Clips of my T1 - some close - some on room (acc gtr and piano) (M7 capsule, Vovox cable, BeesNeez power supply etc)
Room clips are with the mic in Omni
Enjoy

https://www.yousendit.com/download/e...Mm0zMW5OUjhUQw
Old 11th February 2014
  #32
Quote:
Originally Posted by anguswoodhead View Post
Clips of my T1 - some close - some on room (acc gtr and piano)
Thanks so much for posting this! Just what I was looking for.

-Ben
Old 12th February 2014
  #33
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Studio RI View Post
Thanks so much for posting this! Just what I was looking for.

-Ben
You like?
Old 13th February 2014
  #34
Quote:
Originally Posted by anguswoodhead View Post
You like?
I do. Granted, I've been listening to all these clips and not the actual mics in person, but I've listened to so many different kinds of clips that I feel I can decipher enough information to form an opinion. I still say it's between the T1 and the Flea. The clips of the Wunder (that I can verify are not GT) sound great too, but the Flea sells for less and sounds just as good, if not a hair better to me.

The BeesNeez T1 seems to just jump out of the speakers, be it my studio monitors, my car or my phone. Beefy bottom end and very smooth.

The FleA 47 does the same for me, with a tad less bottom (not a bad thing).

They are both slightly different from each other, but still share a certain magic. It all comes down to personal preference. If I listen to them as modern mics, and not as u47 sound-alikes, I think the T1 inches it's way to the top. Of course, I won't know for sure until I get them in my studio.

Boards like this, and users like you, really help guys like me make educated decisions. Thank you again.

-Ben
Old 13th February 2014
  #35
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Studio RI View Post
I do. Granted, I've been listening to all these clips and not the actual mics in person, but I've listened to so many different kinds of clips that I feel I can decipher enough information to form an opinion. I still say it's between the T1 and the Flea. The clips of the Wunder (that I can verify are not GT) sound great too, but the Flea sells for less and sounds just as good, if not a hair better to me.

The BeesNeez T1 seems to just jump out of the speakers, be it my studio monitors, my car or my phone. Beefy bottom end and very smooth.

The FleA 47 does the same for me, with a tad less bottom (not a bad thing).

They are both slightly different from each other, but still share a certain magic. It all comes down to personal preference. If I listen to them as modern mics, and not as u47 sound-alikes, I think the T1 inches it's way to the top. Of course, I won't know for sure until I get them in my studio.

Boards like this, and users like you, really help guys like me make educated decisions. Thank you again.

-Ben
Yeah
The T1 is the best I've found.
Just spoke to Ben Sneesby and he suggested I try different tubes which will alter the sound of the mic
I'm keen to try that.
My valve has got a little noisy - it is 65 years old. Lol
There's no doubt in my mind that the mic makes the biggest difference to the recorded sound (besides the source of course)
So I spend my money buying the best possible Mics I can afford.
Exciting times to be a recording engineer.
Old 13th February 2014
  #36
Remember Ben does a money back guarantee if I recall correctly.
Old 14th February 2014
  #37
Quote:
Originally Posted by anguswoodhead View Post
Remember Ben does a money back guarantee if I recall correctly.
He does, and he's a great to deal with. Really knows his stuff.

When I make the final decision and get one of them in hand, I'll post my opinion here.
Old 19th February 2014
  #38
I have the Flea 47 - every time I plug it in I'm smiling ear to ear
One thing here that doesn't get mentioned is that mics of this level all kick ass - tuning them with capsule or component changes is a reality that one can explore
I'm not sure stock x brand or y at this level is in the way of a mic hitting the mark you're after
That said the Flea's have something going on in the depth and naturalness magic zone that blows my mind
Old 25th April 2014
  #39
made a decision

So, I decided to go with a DIY U47 based off of the twin 408a tubes, and put a Beesneez M7 capsule in it. I don't know how it compares directly to any of the other U47 clones, but I can honestly say that I love this mic, and it is just the sound I was looking for. On top of that, I saved a couple thousand dollars. Maybe one day I'll find someone around here with another type of U47 to compare it to, but even so, I don't think I'll be rushing out to replace it.
Old 11th August 2014
  #40
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mics View Post
Hi there, If you get the chance, make use of money back guarantee's and exchanges to try out all of the mics you have mentioned, this way you can decde for yourself.

cheers
wow do you still offer a money back guarantee on beez kneez 47 tribute? I know this post is old but just came across it. I'm so close to buying a FLEA 47 or 49 but I would rather support an australian company. Know of anywhere I could test one out in Melbourne? or could you send me a demo one for my studio.

Rachael Byrnes - Home
Old 29th April 2015
  #41
Lives for gear
 
Seditionary's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
I compared the Flea 47 with the Wunder CM7 GT and opted for the Flea, but you might easily have different needs.
-R
Have you or anyone tried a Wunder CM7-gtS against a Flea 47?

The GTS is a big step apart from the GT. Definitely has more of a vibe & more evokes an era with a much deeper and richer image.
Old 30th April 2015
  #42
Lives for gear
 
Piedpiper's Avatar
What I have heard on line indicates the Flea is the mellowest of the lot and still doesn't quite capture the original but more so than all others short of the Voxorama which is truly a clone, and twice the price. Not that others are bad, just not as much a match to an original FWIW.
Old 30th April 2015
  #43
Lives for gear
 
Nowak's Avatar
You can hear the Beesneez T1 here on vocal.

https://soundcloud.com/stefan-nowak/...f-24192-master
Old 1st May 2015
  #44
Lives for gear
 
Seditionary's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
What I have heard on line indicates the Flea is the mellowest of the lot and still doesn't quite capture the original but more so than all others short of the Voxorama which is truly a clone, and twice the price. Not that others are bad, just not as much a match to an original FWIW.
You can read -- but have you heard?
Old 1st May 2015
  #45
Lives for gear
 
Piedpiper's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seditionary View Post
You can read -- but have you heard?
Nice try but I meant it quite literally. I have "heard" a number of comparisons of sound files on line. I have learned to never take anyone's word for it, especially if they just say it's "better" without being more specific, which is unfortunately the norm.
Old 7th September 2015
  #46
Flea 47 all the way !!!
Best low end, mid range is perfect, and the top end sits so beautifully, without being to sharp.
Its a no brainier!!!!
Flea 47
Old 7th September 2015
  #47
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Studio RI View Post
So, I decided to go with a DIY U47 based off of the twin 408a tubes, and put a Beesneez M7 capsule in it. I don't know how it compares directly to any of the other U47 clones, but I can honestly say that I love this mic, and it is just the sound I was looking for. On top of that, I saved a couple thousand dollars. Maybe one day I'll find someone around here with another type of U47 to compare it to, but even so, I don't think I'll be rushing out to replace it.
Can you give some more info on which DIY U47 you got? Where did you purchase it?

Thanks!!

M.
Old 7th September 2015
  #48
Quote:
Originally Posted by madriaan View Post
Can you give some more info on which DIY U47 you got? Where did you purchase it?

Thanks!!

M.
Sure. I built it by sourcing the parts and buying the PCBs. It's based off of the ioaudio PCBs with a cinemag tranny and, at first, had the beesneez M7 capsule. While I really liked the BNM7, I swapped it out for a Thiersch M7 Blue line and that was the right sound for me. I've since built another and put the BN in that one. Still got em, still love em. I would like to try swapping the tranny in one of them for the ioaudio one, but that's not in the budget right now. I've heard shootout clips of both. Different sound, same quality, so no rush for me.
Old 7th September 2015
  #49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
What I have heard on line indicates the Flea is the mellowest of the lot and still doesn't quite capture the original but more so than all others short of the Voxorama which is truly a clone, and twice the price. Not that others are bad, just not as much a match to an original FWIW.
I've heard a shootout between several original U47's and a couple of different DIY clones, including a low number U47 with an original capsule. I can say that they all sounded different. Same family, but different. What did that teach me? Don't stress over which one sounds EXACTLY the same as an original U47, because, quite honestly, I didn't like the original v. the DIY. The MK47 clone with the STM7 Blueline was my favorite and can be built for less than $2k.
Old 7th September 2015
  #50
Lives for gear
 
Piedpiper's Avatar
True. But there are some characteristics that follow the originals, as well as qualities that follow those modeled after them. Most of the modern wannabes are brighter and harsher than the originals. The Flea is not. Also, they don't compress the same as those with a VF14. Not that we should all somehow prefer any given sound, but for many, the mellowness and refined quality and the richness of the compression of the original is what they're after, if they are.
Old 8th September 2015
  #51
Lives for gear
 
DougS's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowak View Post
You can hear the Beesneez T1 here on vocal.

https://soundcloud.com/stefan-nowak/...f-24192-master
This is very nice. Can you tell us what preamp was used?
Old 9th September 2015
  #52
Lives for gear
 
Nowak's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
This is very nice. Can you tell us what preamp was used?
Hi thanks for the kind words.

The preamp here is a Focusrite 428.
Old 9th September 2015
  #53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
True. But there are some characteristics that follow the originals, as well as qualities that follow those modeled after them. Most of the modern wannabes are brighter and harsher than the originals. The Flea is not. Also, they don't compress the same as those with a VF14. Not that we should all somehow prefer any given sound, but for many, the mellowness and refined quality and the richness of the compression of the original is what they're after, if they are.
Many of the current U47 clones are not clones, or made of inferior parts. That compression sound is not just the tube, It's the sum of all parts. I can tell you that the MK-47 has that compression sound, and there's no VF14 in sight. Some of the others like Flea may have it as well, and they are not using the VF14 either. When I personally demo'd the BNM7 capsule against a $100 K47 capsule, the BN had more of that compression sound than the K47. It's the quality of all the parts that matters.
Old 9th September 2015
  #54
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky Media View Post
I was under the impression that the Flea 47 is significantly more expensive than the other two mics you mention?
I was reading about how those FLEA mics are made. Makes sense. Their process takes a lot of work.
Old 11th September 2015
  #55
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguswoodhead View Post
Remember Ben does a money back guarantee if I recall correctly.
When I bought my BeesNeez there was a Lifetime Guarantee and I've got it by the bees mans Hand! Pretty hard to beat that! Then again this is 2015 on iPad spelling. Which does one no favours! Ben is a decent man, many other OEM mic boutique manufactures I understand use some of Ben's Capsules or used to pearl included and Klaus' endorsement was pretty beefy! Money back. No excuses, how can a U47 Trophy hunter go wrong?

Hope all goes well and you find what you're after!
Old 11th September 2015
  #56
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowak View Post
You can hear the Beesneez T1 here on vocal.

https://soundcloud.com/stefan-nowak/...f-24192-master
That is beautiful man, just stunning, I can hear it, feel it, I love it, it's beautiful Stef, man just lovely.

J.
Old 15th February 2016
  #57
Lives for gear
 
Salty James's Avatar
Flea 48 here.
Insanely rich deep and complex sound that somehow always sounds great!!

Beats out everything we compare it to!
Old 15th February 2016
  #58
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Studio RI View Post
Many of the current U47 clones are not clones, or made of inferior parts. That compression sound is not just the tube, It's the sum of all parts. I can tell you that the MK-47 has that compression sound, and there's no VF14 in sight. Some of the others like Flea may have it as well, and they are not using the VF14 either. When I personally demo'd the BNM7 capsule against a $100 K47 capsule, the BN had more of that compression sound than the K47. It's the quality of all the parts that matters.
The cool (well pretty hot, literally) thing with the double 6028 tube in parallel/series configuration is that it has the same relatively high voltage as the VF14. The MK47 can even be used with an original U47 PSU. (!)
The EF12 tube is steel, like the VF14, but it is more in the EF86 family. As far as I understand it, it's not the best match with the huge BV8 6.5:1 tranny. It's no coincidence Neumann developed a pretty different tranny for the U67 (with a feedback winding added BTW).

This could (!) explain why the Flea o.a. is very similar tonewise, but doesn't behave the same, dynamically speaking.

Then again, I should leave technical matters like these to true experts.

Last edited by legato; 15th February 2016 at 07:54 PM..
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Johnkenn / High End
86
anguswoodhead / Gear Shoot-Outs / Sound File Comparisons / Audio Tests
152
cdmack / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
2
feral frequency / So Much Gear, So Little Time
3
GearHunter / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
6

Forum Jump
Forum Jump