The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best mic for field interviews? Dynamic Microphones
Old 7th October 2010
Lives for gear

A boom mic?

Quote:
(2) the mics will probably need to be placed on a table stand (or adapted half-shock and a table stand), as the interviewees will be seated
In this situation I would reach without a moment's hesitation for an E-V RE16:

http://www.electrovoice.com/sitefile..._EDS_Rev_C.pdf

Based on 28 years of ENG for major networks I've learned that with speech, intelligibility is king. That means you want to reject as much background noise as possible and this means close miking. The danger in close miking is plosives (p-popping). I once had a co-worker who would say "You can't pop an RE16" and he was right; I recently used an RE16 to solve a plosive problem and it came through with flying colors. I recommend also using the external windscreen available for it as well as a shock mount:

Electro-Voice 376 Foam windscreen pop filter

If the sound of the RE16 doesn't turn you on, Mr. EQ is your friend. Easier to EQ than to remove plosives.
Old 8th October 2010
Lives for gear

441 good in highs

I can't seem to leave this thread. One more thing on the 441 though: there's a big advantage to this mic when it comes to working outdoors, with foam covers and fur etc on your mic. It has a brilliance switch and is fairly strong in the high end. This is awesome when you slap a few centimetres of wind and pop protection on it, as that tends to decrease the highs a bit. The 441, as far as I've noticed when using one, compensates for this in a nice way. Plus, it's long and I've already explained why that is a good thing.
Old 17th August 2012
Here for the gear

The Standard just works

I've tried a number of mics for field interviews. The wireless lavs, especially from Sennheiser in the EW100 G2 series are great but when you're holding a mic and putting it in the face of someone, the EV 50B just is the mic that every network around the world uses. Decent price, little need for any help other than a wind shield and the quality of sound is great. The MD 42 from Sennheiser is also great and I always use the XLR EW100 G2s to move the sound to recording device.
Old 18th March 2013
Here for the gear

A list of reporter mics:

AKG D 230 (OMNIDIRECTIONAL)

AUDIO TECHNICA AT 8010 (OMNIDIRECTIONAL)
AUDIO TECHNICA AT8004L (OMNIDIRECTIONAL)
AUDIO TECHNICA BP40001 (CARDIOID)
AUDIO TECHNICA BP40002 (OMNIDIRECTIONAL)

BEYERDYNAMIC M58 (OMNIDIRECTIONAL)
BEYERDYNAMIC MCE58 (OMNIDIRECTIONAL)

ELECTRO-VOICE RE16 (SUPERCARDIOID)
ELECTRO-VOICE RE50B (OMNIDIRECTIONAL)
ELECTRO-VOICE RE50N/D-B (OMNIDIRECTIONAL)
ELECTRO-VOICE 635A (OMNIDIRECTIONAL)
ELECTRO-VOICE 635N/D-B (OMNIDIRECTIONAL)

RODE REPORTER (OMNIDIRECTIONAL)

SENNHEISER MD21-U (OMNIDIRECTIONAL)
SENNHEISER MD42 (OMNIDIRECTIONAL)
SENNHEISER MD46 MICROPHONE (CARDIOID)

SHURE SM 63 (LB) (OMNIDIRECTIONAL)
SHURE VP64 A (L) (OMNIDIRECTIONAL)
Old 18th March 2013
Gear Maniac

I've been doing interviews for radio and tv for over 50 years.
On the go interviews, man on the street stuff, EV635a.
Sit down interviews, usually one on one in any location, indoors and out, U87 in bi-directional in suspension mount on table stand.
I use a laptop with a C Entrance Pro Mic Port and Adobe Audition.
You can hear some of those interviews here: Museum of RADIO in British Columbia
Old 20th August 2017
Here for the gear
Hello, I'm French and I try to write without mistakes...It's easier reading.

For handled reporting mic I love the Lem DO21 (French manufacturer) and use for a long time the Sennheiser MD21U. But, for 4 months I use the DPA d:facto with MMC2006V (omni).

I love : no plosive, no hand or cable noise, no wind noise, for this, for me, this d:facto seems to be better than other handled interview mics.

Particularity : like the MD21u it's a "heavy" mic but no problem using it. It looks and seems rugged like the MD21 or LEM (only four months of use no 15 years). It's a condenser mic and need 48v. In a very reverberant room, maybe like a lot of omni mic, mic must be close to the mouth (I'm not technician and maybe a canon mic hypercardio...less reverberant sound). Outside, it's possible to use it farther than others mic I know. Like a lot of condenser mics the d:facto is more sensitive, background noise are more present than dynamic mic but finally its a quality !!!! Because this noise is very beautifully/well integrated and never disturb the message (difficult to explain). For the sound of course I love it but every one/ear is different.

I write my enthusiasm in a comment in this mic reporting comparison from DPA :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9MRGeyiC6I
It looks like a ad but it performs trully like this. In fact the quality's of a robust dynamic mic with the quality's of a condenser mic and without the default of a condenser mic...

I will be glad to read other comments for handled mic for radio and/or tv for lonely reporters and others viewpoints on this d:facto.

An other list of mic design for radio (studio and reporting, ok all mics are usable) :
Ici L'Onde - Micro pour radio

Sorry for bad English.
Old 22nd August 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv21 View Post
for 4 months I use the DPA d:facto with MMC2006V (omni).

I love : no plosive, no hand or cable noise, no wind noise, for this, for me, this d:facto seems to be better than other handled interview mics.
Salut cv21,

I am interested in the DPA d:facto and your comments are very helpful.

Le DPA d:facto m'intéresse et vos commentaires sont très utiles.

Votre anglais écrit est bien.

Merci.
Old 23rd August 2017
Here for the gear
Hello rredge,

Your french is perfect !

If you are interested in the d:facto, I add some precisions :
- MMC2006V is omni with a boost from 10khz to 20khz. I like it because I have less work for mixing (remember I'm not technician), but some people don't like this. If I compare with the very good MD21u, the high frequencies of the d:facto seems more "natural". I remember having sometimes hard sibilant/hissing sound with the MD21u on some voices or distance, this is not an issue... With the d:facto (on the mouth), you can ear the boost but for me there is no "hard sibilant" effect.

- MMC4018V (same boost) and MMC4018VL (linear), I'had possibility to try only the 4018V : for me, same sound than the MMC2006V, an other tool with the same mic. I buy the omni model because for radio I used omni...and it's easier for not loose a sound... but in a little tv I use only hypercardio mic (Rode/Audiotechnica + windshield, "packaged" with the camcorders, not visibles in the videos), it's a different way of use.

That's the more difficult for the choice : omni or hypercardio.

I hope you will have the opportunity to try the d:facto.

Merci pour le message.
Old 25th August 2017
Lives for gear

For in field work interviewing people, a omni with shock mounting for reduced handling noise is the ideal.

Omni gets the midrange right and the person being interviewed sounds consistent with angle and distance despite moving around and being mic shy. The 635A is the basic mic that was used for years and years on TV but the unskilled create enormous handling noise with it so the RE50 was developed to solve that problem.
Brad
Old 25th August 2017
People. This thread is seven years old.
Old 25th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisgoestomark View Post
Awesome you jumped in! Old threads live again!
Old 25th August 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisgoestomark View Post
Yes it is. It is also of continued interest, and I particularly appreciated cv21's comments on the fairly new DPA d:facto.
Old 25th October 2017
Here for the gear
This thread is old but I think it’s a good place to talk about handled radio mic. Sennheiser mkh and schoeps still welcome ! This is not the sames tools.

For a long time, we see and use the sames references depending the country : a lot of lem 21 in France (and md21) and maybe a lot of electrovoice in Us! I don’t know for others country’s.

I like to read a comment like : rev50 have less hand noise. Thanks. If you know more about this kind of mic reporter friend, I will be glad to read.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search