The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tube tech LCA 2A Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 16th October 2005
  #1
Lives for gear
 
mac black's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Tube tech LCA 2A

Hi guys,

I've used the LCA 2B before and it was ok, but I prefered the sound of the 2A after playing with it for couple of days so I got it.

Any favorite instruments to use it on ? any valve problems ?

I usually change my valves every 2-5 years, is there any exception with the 2B?

Thanks

mac
Old 17th October 2005
  #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac black
Hi guys,

I've used the LCA 2B before and it was ok, but I prefered the sound of the 2A after playing with it for couple of days so I got it.
Are you thinking of the CLA-2A maybe?

The LCA 2A/2B and CLA-2A are 2 different anmals.



Quote:
Originally Posted by mac black
Any favorite instruments to use it on ?
The only use i really got out of the LCA-2B was as drumbuss compressor.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mac black
any valve problems ?
In the past i've recommended changing the tubes on the CL1B.

More to improve the sound than for problems.

But on the LCA-2B it doesn't seem to help.

Basically what you've got is a ****ty sounding expensive compressor.

Its marginal at best.

Tubetech hit a homerun with the CL1B and struck out with the LCA-2B.
Old 17th October 2005
  #3
Lives for gear
 
mac black's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
Are you thinking of the CLA-2A maybe?

The LCA 2A/2B and CLA-2A are 2 different anmals.





The only use i really got out of the LCA-2B was as drumbuss compressor.




In the past i've recommended changing the tubes on the CL1B.

More to improve the sound than for problems.

But on the LCA-2B it doesn't seem to help.

Basically what you've got is a ****ty sounding expensive compressor.

Its marginal at best.

Tubetech hit a homerun with the CL1B and struck out with the LCA-2B.
Im talking about the CL 2A which is a double CL1B as far as I know (sorry for the confusion).

I thought the LCA 2B was ok sounding (not great).

I liked the sound of the CL 2A, it has a nicer colour (then the LCA 2B) and has a different sounding sound/punch to my other compressors so it adds something new, I just need to find what its best at ... it would take some time... So you're saying to change the valves ? any particular ones ?

cheers

mac
Old 17th October 2005
  #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac black
Im talking about the CL 2A which is a double CL1B as far as I know (sorry for the confusion).

I thought the LCA 2B was ok sounding (not great).

I liked the sound of the CL 2A, it has a nicer colour (then the LCA 2B) and has a different sounding sound/punch to my other compressors so it adds something new, I just need to find what its best at ... it would take some time... So you're saying to change the valves ? any particular ones ?

cheers

mac
I thought so.

The CLA 2A is supposed to be (2) Cl1B's in a box.

The CL1B was designed after the LA2A.

The benefit of course with a variable attack and release.

LCA-2B if i remember correctly is a Vari-Mu design.

A total different sound.

On CL1B's Mullards improves the sound dramatically.

If you want a clearer sound Tele's work great.

Because the LCA-2B maybe a var-mu design how the compressor uses the tube is different.

That's part of the reason changing them out doesn't make as big of a difference.

I would try to find an extinct 6386 if possible.
Old 17th October 2005
  #5
Lives for gear
 
mac black's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
I thought so.

The CLA 2A is supposed to be (2) Cl1B's in a box.

The CL1B was designed after the LA2A.

The benefit of course with a variable attack and release.

LCA-2B if i remember correctly is a Vari-Mu design.

A total different sound.

On CL1B's Mullards improves the sound dramatically.

If you want a clearer sound Tele's work great.

Because the LCA-2B maybe a var-mu design how the compressor uses the tube is different.

That's part of the reason changing them out doesn't make as big of a difference.

I would try to find an extinct 6386 if possible.
Thats very interesting.

Thanks you.
Old 17th October 2005
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac black
Thats very interesting.

Thanks you.
Your welcome and good luck.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
tree / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
3
HDGuru / High end
4
TonyBelmont / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
dagnarl / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0

Forum Jump