The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
US-built mics - need your experience Condenser Microphones
Old 21st January 2010
Gear Addict

US-built mics - need your experience

Ok in my U47 topic I pointed out that I know the German microphones very well but that I have very little experience with mics built in the US.

Here's my question for you:
I mainly record vocals, spoken word or singing. As preamps I mainly use my Great River or my BAE 1073 as I like their sound best. Mic wise I have a Neumann M-149 and several Brauners and although I am proud owner of their famous VMA I like the sound of the new ValvetX best, Michael Boenninghoff did an incredible job here.

So my question is: What US mic comes near or even beats the ValvetX sound wise? Does not necessarily be a tube mic, I'm open minded :D I'm looking for warmth and silky highs.

Thanks
Old 21st January 2010
Lives for gear

i believe all Bocks are USA, aside from the U195.........
maybe lawson

but i would not buy a mic based on the location of production....
Old 21st January 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post
but i would not buy a mic based on the location of production....
Of course not. Just trying to improve my knowledge here and trying to find out what might be worth testing.
Old 21st January 2010
Here for the gear

The Josephson c700 is a great mic well up there with the Brauner series.
Also the Telefunken C12 is absolutely brilliant.
Old 21st January 2010
Lives for gear

I had a Peluso LE47 and a P12, and sometimes they sounded OK(sometimes they sounded terrible), and I had to sell them to afford a (used) VM1-lite.

I don't miss them at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuberizer View Post
I'm looking for warmth and silky high
Sounds like a great description of the VM1, but you insist on exploring non-Brauner mics might want to research BeezNeez or even give Ben Sneesby a call.
Old 21st January 2010
member no 666

Quote:
What US mic comes near or even beats the ValvetX sound wise?
The one you listen to and like better... these are creative tools, and while their manufacturers may "compete" for "market share" the fact of the matter is that the microphones aren't in competition [they're just tools... the screw doesn't care if it is put into the wall with a "Makita" or a "DeWalt"... but the carpenter might and the manufacturer definitely does].

Quote:
I'm open minded
Then try them without the prejudice of getting suggestions from people you don't know - whose work you've never heard!!
Old 21st January 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
The one you listen to and like better... these are creative tools, and while their manufacturers may "compete" for "market share" the fact of the matter is that the microphones aren't in competition [they're just tools... the screw doesn't care if it is put into the wall with a "Makita" or a "DeWalt"... but the carpenter might and the manufacturer definitely does].

Then try them without the prejudice of getting suggestions from people you don't know - whose work you've never heard!!
Hey, thanks for your reply - but this isnt helpful at all. I cannot try mics I dont even know of. As I've written in my first post I'm unexperienced with american mics. I dont know many US manufacturers and I am kindly asking ppl here for recommendations what may be worth a try.
Old 21st January 2010
Lives for gear

Sounds like(no pun intended) you have a nice array of mics right now. And it sounds like you are super serious about the outcome of your efforts. Somebody mentioned the Peluso's in passing. If you are not thrilled with the big daddy Brauner, I think it is time you take the next step up.

To me, I do a lot of reading and listening, you ought to audition the Bock 251 as well as The Telefunken 251E( I see one is available at Mercenary for a test drive). I never have tried it but I have never read anything but absolutely glowing reviews. By the way, I owned an AK47 and got a Pearlman tm-1 and am quite satisfied for now. To me they are both great mics, however if my boss(mama) gave me an opportunity to try the Telefunken 251E and seriously consider it, I would own one in a heartbeat!!!
Old 21st January 2010
Lives for gear

Mics

Josephson 700 series

Manley mic's

Lawson Mic's

All are very nice .
Old 25th January 2010
Compare to the Valvet?

JOSEPHSON C715

Though, not a tube mike, it has an absolutely stunning clarity.

This mike has an AMAZING TOP END with a fullness and grace that is awesome.
Old 12th February 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
JOSEPHSON C715

Though, not a tube mike, it has an absolutely stunning clarity.

This mike has an AMAZING TOP END with a fullness and grace that is awesome.
indeed!!
I have Valvet X, fantastic mic, you won't find another tube mic easily that's a real step up from there (rather sideways)

but, the C715 is something you must hear. No tube but it has a sound that will make you wonder how in the world they've done this. I won't try to put it to words as my English is not up to the task nor ar my poëtic abilities.
For those who know the C700A or C720, this is very different again.

But by all means... don't believe a word of what i'm saying.... nor Moc Rixwell.. just check it out for yourself..

michiel
Joystick Audio
Old 12th February 2010
Lives for gear

I have been really enjoying my Lauten Clarions. US built!
Old 12th February 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiel H View Post
indeed!!
I have Valvet X, fantastic mic, you won't find another tube mic easily that's a real step up from there (rather sideways)

but, the C715 is something you must hear. No tube but it has a sound that will make you wonder how in the world they've done this. I won't try to put it to words as my English is not up to the task nor ar my poëtic abilities.
For those who know the C700A or C720, this is very different again.

But by all means... don't believe a word of what i'm saying.... nor Moc Rixwell.. just check it out for yourself..

michiel
Joystick Audio
Moc Rixwell.......

Nice!

Yo Michiel, Check this out;
Bock 507

The 700 series is now VAST, and the C700A/S made me re-think my existence when I used them. I want both of them, but the 715 is a prize!!!!
Old 12th February 2010
Lives for gear

although i am sure some us mics are great (bock, telefunken, wunder...) i wonder: why bother? i mean, we have plenty of great microphone-makers in europe, once a mic fails, what are you gonna do? send it to the us, pay ups, pay import taxes bla bla??
as long as those us-manufacturers have no service in europe, i wouldn´t buy them! simply too much potential trouble!

check out horch, gefell, flea! thumbsup
Old 12th February 2010
Lives for gear

LeWilson is radical!!!!!!!!!!

everything is USA made, aside from the m7 capsule, which is a thiersch from germany!!!!
Old 12th February 2010
Gear Maniac

The Lawson mics are fantastic.
Old 13th February 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Moc Rixwell.......

Nice!
sorry couldn't resist.. i do that wordgame with my 7 year old daughter all the time..

Quote:

Yo Michiel, Check this out;
Bock 507

The 700 series is now VAST, and the C700A/S made me re-think my existence when I used them. I want both of them, but the 715 is a prize!!!!
interesting, i will check the files, i haven't heard the Bock nor the Telefunken myself.
All the 700 mics are fabulous.. i like C715 especially on acoustic guitar as it has tight low mids without sounding thin, and it doesn't separate attack from tone if you know what i mean.. many condenser mics do that on acoustic guitars,
great stuff..

michiel
Joystick Audio
Old 29th November 2012
Bock audio
Josephson

don't look any further.

american products have seen a decrease in quality in the last few years.. quality control seems to have suffered during the economical crisis.

I am personally a big fan of Dirk Brauner as a human beeing, but not so confident about his mics. I don't like the Ueberhyped highend and the missing midrange details. all a matter of personal taste of course, I just found it difficult to make something really sit in a dense mix when it was recorded with a Brauner.

so.. because you love Brauner, you should check out CharterOak microphones (produced in Asia but built in Connecticut). and they come close to a Brauner if we talk about frequency response. again it's a bit like apples and oranges but you want a comparison, i try to deliver one.

cheers
George
Old 29th November 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
Bock audio
Josephson

don't look any further.

american products have seen a decrease in quality in the last few years.. quality control seems to have suffered during the economical crisis.

I am personally a big fan of Dirk Brauner as a human beeing, but not so confident about his mics. I don't like the Ueberhyped highend and the missing midrange details. all a matter of personal taste of course, I just found it difficult to make something really sit in a dense mix when it was recorded with a Brauner.

so.. because you love Brauner, you should check out CharterOak microphones (produced in Asia but built in Connecticut). and they come close to a Brauner if we talk about frequency response. again it's a bit like apples and oranges but you want a comparison, i try to deliver one.

cheers
George
Thanks very much for the mention, but just to be clear. our microphone products are assembled and QC'd here at our Enfield, CT. USA HQ, using GLOBAL materials. rough brass and steel castings that we machine here come from some Asian factories along with carrying cases, shockmounts, IEC Type 2 AC mains cables, etc. However, parts used in our microphones, that are important to the audio quality, come from several different countries, i.e., Japanese and Italian capacitors, U.S. made Teflon coated silver plated wire used throughout, U.S. made output transformers, Gotham 7 pin cables, etc. We try to find the best component for our design with respect to it's durability and sound. Anyone who would like to know more about our manufacturing process can call us or send an email and we'll be happy to answer specific questions about ANY item on the bill of materials of any product.

We're not trying to copy the sonics of any other existing microphone model. Instead, we're trying to bring to market, microphones that posses a truly distinctive sound. Both the 538 and 538B have a pretty thick mid-range so I'm not so sure if they are a good comparison to the Brauner models.

We also deliver all of our products, microphones, headphones, and signal processors with a lifetime warranty for the original owner. I think this demonstrates the kind of confidence that we have with regards to the build quality and technical performance.
Old 30th November 2012
I know Michael. I sold your stuff over here in Switzerland. good products!

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk
Old 30th November 2012
Lives for gear
Miktek CV4...don't knock it till you've tried it...
Old 30th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
So my question is: What US mic comes near or even beats the ValvetX sound wise? Does not necessarily be a tube mic, I'm open minded :D I'm looking for warmth and silky highs.

Thanks
I don't know the ValvetX.

Here are a few other options. I've got a couple of Korby Audio mics, one with four capsules. Sound great. korbyaudio dot com. Oliver is a gem, and his mics are well thought of, go to tabfunkenwerk dot com. also Lawson... gee there are quite a few.
Old 30th November 2012
Lives for gear

You might be amazed how good an Electro Voice RE-20 can sound on a vocal. It's warm and smooth. Don't let the fairly cheap $450 price throw you. It's also made in the U.S. RCA ribbon mics were made in the U.S. and were great.
Old 1st December 2012
Lives for gear

You do use a USA preamp in BAE...well UK thought but built in Cali. Isn't that enough? Lol
Another great mic is Pearlman microphones. Both BAE and Pearlman out of Sherman Oaks, Cali baby!
Now..since you did mention U47, which is over half a century old, did you consider the great RCA mics like 44 or 77? if Sinatra and Amy Winehouse sang into it, that should say something right? They may not be German or Austrian post world war mics but still are amazing in their own right.
Then there us Manley..I say now are US company but their famous RefC is a Chinese capsule. It's a great mic! Manley Gold is a Josephsen capsule though.
Now here us the icing...SM7 it's about 1/20th of the price of above discussed, but Michael Jackson did do the greatest record Thriller on it. Did we hear U.S.A?
Old 1st December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmikeperkins View Post
RCA ribbon mics were made in the U.S. and were great.
Don't forget about AEA ribbon microphones! AEA Big Ribbon Mics ™ Bringing You the Future of Ribbon Microphone Technology
Old 1st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
+1.
Old 1st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
Now here us the icing...SM7 it's about 1/20th of the price of above discussed, but Michael Jackson did do the greatest record Thriller on it. Did we hear U.S.A?
Yes, yes he did, and that was probably a USA model. the newer ones AFAIK are made in Mexico however. Not say ing that's bad (oh, a pun!).
Old 1st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by edva View Post
Yes, yes he did, and that was probably a USA model. the newer ones AFAIK are made in Mexico however. Not say ing that's bad (oh, a pun!).
... maybe a little dangerous coming out of Mexico? lol
In anyevent, are not some of the Telefunkens made in CT, USA? lol
...so imagining Michael singing Feliz Navidad right now...lol
Old 1st December 2012
Lives for gear

oh for the OP.. the advantage of US built microphones is that you get to sound more Soulful and execute Funk Rhythms like no tomorrow. You know.. Swing! Oh more so, you do sound better Rapping, when Rapping through a US microphone.. Finally, ever heard of a rapper called Thomas Alva Edison? he happens to be the first American Rapper at the turn of the century who spoke through the first Mic!!.. oh he built the first Mic too (or atleast won the first patent claim against a German American.. maybe that's where the rivalry started..)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search