The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audio Upgrades - High Speed Microphone Preamp?
Old 16th October 2005
Lives for gear

Audio Upgrades - High Speed Microphone Preamp?

Hello Everyone,

I recently bought a used Audio Upgrades High Speed Microphone Preamp (based on the specs and the price), and I am waiting to receive it.

I am amazed at how little info there's is on the Web, regarding it's nature, qualities and/or weaknesses.

I am wondering if there are any fellow Gearslutz out there, who own this preamp who would care to share something regarding it's sound, strenghths and/or weaknesses.

Thank you so much in advance,

Peace
Marco

Last edited by sunflute; 16th October 2005 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: Clarify the statement
Old 16th October 2005
Jai guru deva om

Hi. Not busting on you, but you're saying that you own one now and you want someone else to review it to tell you how it sounds?

I'm confused.

War
Old 16th October 2005
Lives for gear

Haven't received it yet!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead
Hi. Not busting on you, but you're saying that you own one now and you want someone else to review it to tell you how it sounds?
War
Sorry for not being clear. I bought one (based on reading the specs and the price), but I haven't received it yet. And since I haven't found much information on the web, I am a little nervous about my purchase. That's all. Sorry for the confusion...Peace
Old 16th October 2005
Lives for gear

Edited original post

Hello War, Thank you for your prompt to clarify my message.
I edited my original message so it reads clearly now.
Thank you. Peace
Old 16th October 2005
Jai guru deva om

Sure, no problem. In my personal opinion (please don't take this the wrong way) I would just wait to receive it rather than to have someone tell me it's great on acoustic instruments but sucks on voice...because you may find the exact opposite to be true. Also...it's a preamp and it's going to "work" with anything technically speaking, beyond that it will all come down to preference.

In other words, don't taint your opinion of it before even having it in your hands!

War
Old 16th October 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks

You are right, Thank you.
Old 16th October 2005
Gear Addict

i agree with warhead on this. there are so many "great Pieces" of gear that everyone loves that i don't/ and vice versa. it really balls down to your own preference. the things i usually ask when searching for new gear is cloraration, build, noise floor, service, etc. hope that helps.

there only one pesron word i'll take when the tell me "you have to get this gear" is thrillfactor. that's becuase i've knew him so long and we've work to gether from time to time that he really knows what i like. besides that i take what everyone else say as a grain a salt.

but by looking at there website the one thing it did dtate was that the sound was clear and uncolored. that says a lot there. when you get it you see if that's true.
Old 16th October 2005
Lives for gear

Sometimes I get the feeling these forums are completely useless.

Try it on overheads with a pair of Earthworks SR30's, or QTC40's (depending on if you're more into Cards or Omni's on OH's). It's one of the most "detailed" drum sounds you'll hear. I dig it on anything I want extra clarity on the top end (percussion, cymbals, steel string guitar, etc) except for vocals, which always sound a bit too essey for me. It's also clean enough where you can crank it (like if you are using ribbons) and not have to worry too much about added hiss.

After you get it, please report back.
Old 17th October 2005
Lives for gear

i find i like it on over heads alot too. it a very transparent preamp. i find that my cymbals come out smoother and have much more deffintion then other preamps that ive used. its also nice on accoustic steal string guitar, if your going for that really slick strumed sound. when you get it let us know what you think of it.

aaron
Attached Thumbnails
Audio Upgrades - High Speed Microphone Preamp?-hpim0345.jpg  
Old 23rd October 2005
Lives for gear

Audio Upgrades High Speed Mic Preamp

Hello Everyone,

Well, I finally had a chance to try the Audio Upgrades High Speed Mic Preamp and all I have to say is that IT ROCKS!!!

I compared it to my Millennia HV-3 using the same pair of mics (Peluso CEMC6s) and although both pres are very transparent, the Audio Upgrades sounds very detailed in the high register without it being harsh. The Millennia seems a bit smoother in the low end but not as detailed in the high frequencies. I would venture to say that both the Millennia and the Audio Upgrades are up there in the same league.

I am planning on using the Audio Upgrades to record piano and the Millennia to record flute in a flute and piano duo project. Another Millennia will be used to record the room sound. I think the combination of the two pres will yield very good results (God Willing).

Thank you all for your input,

Peace
Marco
Old 23rd October 2005
Lives for gear

Hi Marco,

Glad you like it! I've used it on piano before and the musicians are always passing around the headphones saying "Man, listen to that piano sound!"

Good luck on the gig.
Old 23rd October 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunn
Good luck on the gig.
Thank you Jason for selling me such nice preamp.
Congrats to Jim Williams of Audio Upgrades

Peace
Marco
Old 31st October 2005
Lives for gear

Those little cards are very good, though not quite the equal of the stereo rack mount Audio Upgrades High Speed Mic Pre. They're really good though. I've heard some excellent recordings made with them. Which model of Soundcraft console do you have?
Old 31st October 2005
Lives for gear

Indyguy,

I have an AU 2 channel mic pre, as well as a Soundcraft Delta DLX that has been completely modded by Jim Williams, with new pre's, EQ's, summing and even the grounding has been cleaned up as I remember. IMHO, the board sounds every bit as good as the stand-alone pres. Jim's version of transparent is one that I really love, to me it sounds extremely phase-linear and dimensional. Holographic, really.

I have not used the RNP's so I can't make a comparison there, but I do have API 212L's that I think must be in the neighborhood with your BAE's. This pre is day and night different than that. Not that one is better or worse, but the AU is water clear. It's not just colorless, it's whole reason for being is to be ultra-fast, ultra-transparent and have a really liquid dimensionality. The API sounds really dark and dirty when you AB them.(But in a tasty, punchy way!) The AU sound is not the Gelder sound or the Creed Taylor sound, it's very modern. You have to decide if modern, clear, transformerless is what you need. It is shockingly clear and dimensional, which may be what your performers want. If they're really good.

You should also be aware that his design increases the input impedance on the pre's from the stock Soundcraft models, with the effect of opening up the top end of your mics. I like this, not everyone will.

I would recommend getting the master/summing part of the board done so you can hear what you are doing, and then get a couple of channels done so you can decide what you think.

I think that this set-up also works really well with a Folcrom so that you can add character if you want. You may find you like clarity, however. It's really refreshing.
Old 17th December 2014
since I bought this unit from Marco (ty dude!), I figured I'd chime in (and revive this thread)...
The Audio Upgrades pre is awesome. It is my dedicated drum-overheads pre that amps two m160s. This pairing delivers very relaxed and sweet 3D cymbals and adds great depth to my overall drum-sound. I'd describe the sound as holographic. It is very fast indeed, and I'm excited to hear how this sounds when I get some extended flat mics... eg a measurement mic
kudos to Jim!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search