The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which U47 Clone is the best? Condenser Microphones
Old 20th January 2010
Gear Addict

Which U47 Clone is the best?

Hi everybody,

which U47 clone is the best so far? Or let me be more precise: The best sounding one? I'd go with the Peluso 2247, but I'd love to hear your opinions and comments, because there are some wonderful clones out there (Wunder, Wagner etc).

Cheers
Old 20th January 2010
Lives for gear

Lovin how many threads are on this

Search button is amazing I did the work for you this time, here are just some things i found by looking at topics.

Who makes the best U47 Clone?
Need a U47 Clone on budget?
U47 Clones in this Price Range
Neumann U47 Clones
U47 reissues
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...7-reissue.html
U47 style clone other than Pearlman or Peluso in $1800-$2000 range?

Or you can build one yourself with the help of people like the folks over at prodigy pro or diy audio. Maybe even the geek zone here.
Old 20th January 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuberizer View Post
Hi everybody,

which U47 clone is the best so far? Or let me be more precise: The best sounding one? I'd go with the Peluso 2247, but I'd love to hear your opinions and comments, because there are some wonderful clones out there (Wunder, Wagner etc).

Cheers
those are all terrible
i found this one to be the best. its a bit expensive though. i wish i could afford a pair of these. the tubes in these run a bit hot and the psu weighs about 300 lbs
if you have a lot of money get this one
Buy MXL 990 Condenser Microphone with Shock Mount | Condenser Microphones | Musician's Friend
Old 20th January 2010
Gear Addict

woops. cant forget pictures can i?
the mxl trumps all!
Attached Thumbnails
Which U47 Clone is the best?-photo-24.jpg  
Old 20th January 2010
Gear Head

Lawson L47MP MKII - most bang for the buck! thumbsup
Old 20th January 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan_Sthlm View Post
Lawson L47MP MKII - most bang for the buck! thumbsup
I heard a lot about the L47 and the L47FET. Unfortunately I never had the chance to try one. Is the FET-version any good?
Old 20th January 2010
Gear Addict

i dont understand what you mean by which is the best sounding clone.
you havent told us what kind of sound you're going for
you havent listed any of you gear. what will you be using with the mic?
we all have personal tastes, what if ours differ from yours? all those high end clones are all going to be spectacular, but which of them has that right flavor for you?
i love my wunders (in the pic above theres the cm12, cm7gt w/m7, and the stupid mxl haha)
Old 20th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewenson View Post
woops. cant forget pictures can i?
the mxl trumps all!
hehhehhehheh
Old 20th January 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
i dont understand what you mean by which is the best sounding clone.
you havent told us what kind of sound you're going for
you havent listed any of you gear. what will you be using with the mic?
we all have personal tastes, what if ours differ from yours? all those high end clones are all going to be spectacular, but which of them has that right flavor for you?
i love my wunders (in the pic above theres the cm12, cm7gt w/m7, and the stupid mxl haha)
I havent listed any of my gear? Click my name and check my profile, you'll find my key gear there. I'm mainly recording vocals, sung or spoken word. I love the sound of Brauner fed into my Great River Pre or 1073.
Old 20th January 2010
Gear Addict

so why not get a VM1?
sounds like you know what you want. Just forget that marketing plague, clone, re-creation etc...

Oli
Old 20th January 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by la grange View Post
so why not get a VM1?
Because I've got a VMA heh
Old 20th January 2010
Quote:
Hi everybody,

Cheers
Don't cha think that if you TRY all of these microphones;

There will be one that is BEST?
Old 20th January 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
Don't cha think that if you TRY all of these microphones;

There will be one that is BEST?
Thanks for that helpful post Of course you are right - but tell me does a site like gearslutz or talking about gear make any sense to you? Why are there so many threads here if ppl could just walk into a shop and try out everything? I live in Germany and there are several US mics that arent available here. So testing each and every one of them would be difficult because I would have to get them from the states. And although Mercenary is known as a cool shop I bet you would not send several mics overseas just for testing, am I right? So what I'm doing here is to try to find out what ppl recommend.
Old 20th January 2010
Deleted User
Quote:
I heard a lot about the L47 and the L47FET. Unfortunately I never had the chance to try one. Is the FET-version any good?
I have read most of the U47 threads ACTUALLY looking for info on the Lawson. It did not seem to fair well as an ACCURATE 'clone'.

but I have not heard much on GS about how people like it (them) as 'good sounding mic for ????' and the sonic difs between tube and fet versions.. they seem to have gotten great reviews in Pro audio and a few others and I doubt his advertising budget is so big as to effect the reviews.

any comments on L47 from users?
Old 20th January 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbrain View Post
I don't have any experience with an actual U47, but I do have experience with the Pearlman, Peluso, and Lawson "versions" of the 47. The Pearlman and Lawson are amazing mics for the price. I've never met a single person who has used either the Pearlman or Lawson who is not enthusiastic about them.
Old 20th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have read most of the U47 threads ACTUALLY looking for info on the Lawson. It did not seem to fair well as an ACCURATE 'clone'.

but I have not heard much on GS about how people like it (them) as 'good sounding mic for ????' and the sonic difs between tube and fet versions.. they seem to have gotten great reviews in Pro audio and a few others and I doubt his advertising budget is so big as to effect the reviews.

i have heard them ona country vox. was very impressed.

ej
Old 20th January 2010
Lives for gear

Gauge mic USA

ECM 47

it has audio comparisons against the real ones

Btw u should ask about neve73 clones, I don't thing there are threads about it
Old 20th January 2010
Quote:
Thanks for that helpful post Of course you are right - but tell me does a site like gearslutz or talking about gear make any sense to you? Why are there so many threads here if ppl could just walk into a shop and try out everything? I live in Germany and there are several US mics that arent available here. So testing each and every one of them would be difficult because I would have to get them from the states. And although Mercenary is known as a cool shop I bet you would not send several mics overseas just for testing, am I right? So what I'm doing here is to try to find out what ppl recommend.
I understand. I personally think "best" is a relative term in regard to your sources and music. I think if you were to explain your music and studio a bit more, maybe get into some detail about the work that you do, I know that I personally, would be able to gather a better more contextual idea about the subjective texture you are looking to achieve, and possibly help with a better, more in depth response, discussing my experience with you.

To answer your question about demoing microphone over seas, surly! Mercenary is a shop that wants to help find you the right tool for your applications, no matter where you are on the planet. I have many customers over seas, who have evaluated microphones we have recommended to them, only for them to send back "losers", but of course there is a concern of shipping costs and duties/taxes etc, which is understandable. It is important to note nothing is set into stone with our shop. "It ain't over till its perfect". I think it might be fair to say that looking for "the best" is a journey worth some investigative work, so I am sorry about my last post.

Best of luck with your search!
Old 20th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi everybody,

Cheers
nu47.com Bruce Swedien No.1 SWE1
Old 20th January 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
so I am sorry about my last post.
Best of luck with your search!
Apology accepted no worries man, thanks for explaining your thoughts!thumbsup

Quote:
I think if you were to explain your music and studio a bit more, maybe get into some detail about the work that you do, I know that I personally, would be able to gather a better more contextual idea about the subjective texture you are looking to achieve, and possibly help with a better, more in depth response, discussing my experience with you.
Well read above.... I mainly record vocals, spoken word or singing. As preamps I mainly use my Great River or my BAE 1073 as I like their sound best. Mic wise I have a Neumann M-149 and several Brauners and although I am proud owner of their famous VMA I like the sound of the new ValvetX best, Michael Boenninghoff did an incredible job here. But I am quite unexperienced with the american mics.... What US mic comes near the ValvetX sound wise? I'm looking for warmth and silky highs.
Old 20th January 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai View Post
nu47.com Bruce Swedien No.1 SWE1
still waiting on mine :DDDD cant wait
although thats not supposed to be a 47
Old 20th January 2010
Dan
Lives for gear

Quote:

I've successfully punched in on tracks that were originally done with a vintage 47 with the L47. I'm not saying they're identical at all, but close enough rock n roll. (or jazz as the case may be.)

The biggest condition is a singer who knows how to work a mic. There isn't a single 47 copy that I've heard that gets the proximity effect right, but I've never tried the Wagner. From a look/circuitry perspective the L47 isn't similar, but I think the capsule is good enough that it makes up for those differences.
Old 21st January 2010
Lives for gear

I went with a Soundelux E47 .....after trying that and the Lawson I liked it better. No regrets.
Old 21st January 2010
member no 666

You may want to sharpen your definition a bit as there are "clones", and then there are microphones based on a 47-esque design and others that only have the number "47" in the model number and have zero to do with an original Neumann U-47 [the TELEFUNKEN AK-47 for example].

There are many great microphones that are variations on the theme, there are only a few "clones" in the world.

Peace.
Old 21st January 2010
Lives for gear

In my experience the FLEA 47 is the closest in sound to a good sounding Neumann U47.
The FLEA 47 also looks like a real 47.

Buy it today with an EF12 tube for identical twin confusion. Which IS the real one??
Old 21st January 2010
Lives for gear
no love for Wunder CM7 ?
Old 21st January 2010
Lives for gear

i like my WUNDER CM7,but i don't know anything, really.
Old 21st January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
those are all terrible
i found this one to be the best. its a bit expensive though. i wish i could afford a pair of these. the tubes in these run a bit hot and the psu weighs about 300 lbs
if you have a lot of money get this one
Buy MXL 990 Condenser Microphone with Shock Mount | Condenser Microphones | Musician's Friend

Love how they added a fine chick on the advertisement. I better buy just because of the way she holds the mic!!!
Old 21st January 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNX View Post
Love how they added a fine chick on the advertisement. I better buy just because of the way she holds the mic!!!
dont you know thats why i bought the mic. sounds better than ANY MIC OUT THERE and it comes with the girl
Old 21st January 2010
Lives for gear
dfegad
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehGuitarist View Post
Search button is amazing
Really sick of these unhelpful, snarky, mean-spirited posts.

Guess what, if a post is truly breaking forum rules, GS has MODS that will remove it. Give the guy a break.

To the OP: I bet there are plenty of retailers here that would let you try out the mics, even in Germany, as long as they get your credit card info, or deposit, or however that works.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search