The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which U47 Clone is the best? Condenser Microphones
Old 27th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
I'd take my mic down to your place myself if I was in the states but being in Tokyo and being very sensitive about this mic and sending something 50 years old with a $2000 tube in it doesn't fill me with confidence so I'll skip, but I'm eagerly waiting to hear about your findings regarding the different VF14s, particularly the FET VF14.
Really looking forward to hearing your report! Thanks!
dbjp, I totally feel what you are saying. Like I said, no pressure. Yea, in a month or so. I will do a quick vocal test on all the VF14 tubes and most likely post them on the Gearshoot out section of GS. Just to get some other opinions and observations from the forum.

Peace brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CacoV. View Post
I have the ELA M 250 E, the CM7 and the U47w...I am at the beach this weekend but I will get some samples from the 3 of them @ my studio, with different sources, so you guys can listen. Shall I do that the way some people did posting the samples and not revealing who is who or should I just put the samples and the mic names on the files?

Truth be told, this whole U47 thing is very hard, I've heard different U47's originals and depends a lot. My CM7 and my U47w and the ELAM 250 E are better than many U47's originals. They are all superb mics.

I've picked the U47w because it's the closest out of the three of them to the BEST U47 original I've ever heard. It's actually so close that I wouldn't be able to differ on a blind test.
Very nice CacoV. Now, thats what I am talking about. Lets show some love to these wonderful mics! Enjoy that beach time.
Old 27th February 2010
Gear Addict

this topic goes dfegad IMHO
Too much disrespect , too less facts and comparisions in real life and some of the best microphone technicans on the planet get involved in a discussion what shouldn't took over their heads.
Somehow giving a bit more respect to them if you like their work, if you don't like their work tell us hard facts what they made wrong. But don't talk trash over someones head what you doesn't even know.
Old 27th February 2010
Gear Guru

Congrats Donn on the new acquisition.
looks great.
love to hear some samples sometime.
Old 27th February 2010
Gear Maniac

Hey Don,

No hard feelings and no harm done, thanks for the response and I've decided to send both you ( as you've made many compliments about Brazil ) and the thread I've started with my studio construction pics a picture of the full moon pooring silver paint all over the sea. I took this one about 15 min. ago from the studio window.

Aloha,
Attached Thumbnails
Which U47 Clone is the best?-img001_1536x2048.jpg  
Old 28th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CacoV. View Post
Hey Don,

No hard feelings and no harm done, thanks for the response and I've decided to send both you ( as you've made many compliments about Brazil ) and the thread I've started with my studio construction pics a picture of the full moon pooring silver paint all over the sea. I took this one about 15 min. ago from the studio window.

Aloha,

Beautiful Brother. I wish I could be their to enjoy it!

And to RB, thank bro! I sure will.
Old 28th February 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Congrats Donn on the new acquisition.
looks great.
love to hear some samples sometime.
yeah samples say more than thousand words
Old 28th February 2010
Lives for gear

I have a Wunder CM7 and i think it's great!

i apologize in advance for this, but...

this is like reading a car wreck. Hey, Jules. Why don't you install a button that allows us (the readers) to be able to cause two people to "vote ignore" each other.

heck. you could call it vote ignore.

i nominate Caco and Donnx as guinea pigs! lol.

anyways.....I would really love to hear your samples Caco! DONNX, thank you for your info and personal experience. I like reading your posts.

I don't have the insane gear that you guys have. I am not a professional. I'm just here to pick up the table scraps of knowledge pros sometimes drop here.
So, with that said, watch this vid and learn Buddy's mantra.

Jules, can we also get a "kiss and make up" button?

seriously, get a Wunder CM7!
Old 28th February 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
The C12 is also a favorite of mine because it sounds like money flying from the speakers on everything.
I do believe I've found myself a sig line.
Old 12th May 2017
Hey, Have been searching the net about DIY u47 and u87

Initially I thought id read that the U47 had the most complicated circuit and that the U87 was the more simple ? Im looking at creating a DIY mic as have had much experience creating amplifiers etc but Have not been able to find out if the U47 has Class-A circuitry ? I think the U87 is.
Old 12th May 2017
Lives for gear

U47 does not have the most complicated circuit.
You'll run into other problems if you want a perfect clone.

If your mind is set to building mics, join this club:
https://groupdiy.com/index.php?board=29.0
Old 12th May 2017
Thanks, Ive joined there already and have been looking a bit hmm yeah I don't need a perfect clone but If I can step up from this horrible M-Audio Nova then Ill be happy lol Im sure today in this age we can build mics that sound as good as U47 in a different way.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search