The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Has anyone built the SSL Matrix/Neve/500 hybrid desk then?
Old 12th January 2010
Lives for gear

Has anyone built the SSL Matrix/Neve/500 hybrid desk then?

I know Jindrichs much talked about Matrix/Neve/other outboard setup sadly didn't happen in the end but has anyone built and used something like that setup?

Be great to hear some stuff that's been mixed on this on iTunes.

Thinking of doing this myself this year if a pieces of the jigsaw drop into place?
For me it's got to be as re-callable as possible though otherwise it's not practical
I'm too used to plug ins now.
Old 12th January 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbongo View Post
I know Jindrichs much talked about Matrix/Neve/other outboard setup sadly didn't happen in the end but has anyone built and used something like that setup?

Be great to hear some stuff that's been mixed on this on iTunes.

Thinking of doing this myself this year if a pieces of the jigsaw drop into place?
For me it's got to be as re-callable as possible though otherwise it's not practical
I'm too used to plug ins now.

I have to an extent.
Attached Thumbnails
Has anyone built the SSL Matrix/Neve/500 hybrid desk then?-img_0072.jpg  
Old 12th January 2010
Lives for gear

that looks superb.

how do you find it?

does it work well with the 'adding colour' to taste idea with outboard? superanalogue being fairly transparent and all.

do you have any stuff we can hear on itunes, etc or anywhere; to hear the depth/flavour of mixes done on your setup? [ I understand if not I'm a very self conscious about posting my stuff on this board as I'm a composer not an engineer ].

is it quick to recall your mixes?
Old 12th January 2010
Lives for gear

That Matrix project didn't happend til its end for now (stopped at acoustic renovation) due the the crisis, but will hopefully sometime this year.

As for the Matrix, yes it is a great studio centerpiece that manages pretty much everything: studio session data files, multi DAW control and programmable macros, instant recall of its 32x16x16 patchbay and total recall of the rest, has great monitoring capabilities for both tracking and mixing, an in-line like topology and a very handsome autocue function, mixes 40 inputs to mix, comes with 16 analog-automated moving faders, etc etc.

As for its sound, it's like any other SSL from the superanalogue family. Get one of those and bypass its EQ (and dynamics if present) and plug in an API or Neve or Pultec EQ, that's the sound you'll get with the Matrix as well.

The only way to fully experience what this product is and does (which is much more than many think), is by arranging a demo and try it yourself.

you can see a few Matrix installations at SSL's website:

Solid State Logic | Gallery | Matrix
Solid State Logic | News
Old 13th January 2010
Lives for gear

Could I have all 40 outputs from my soundcards going into the Matrix and only inputs 1-16 or 17-32 or 33-40 showing at one time? [ like on my mc mix ]? is that how the 40 inputs work? [ hope that's clear!?!? ]

also can anyone point me in the direction of hearing mixes completed on this setup? someone must have released stuff mixed on this by now?
Old 13th January 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
that looks superb.

how do you find it?

does it work well with the 'adding colour' to taste idea with outboard? superanalogue being fairly transparent and all.

do you have any stuff we can hear on itunes, etc or anywhere; to hear the depth/flavour of mixes done on your setup? [ I understand if not I'm a very self conscious about posting my stuff on this board as I'm a composer not an engineer ].

is it quick to recall your mixes?
It amazing.Perfect workflow,at least for me.

Its perfect for not getting in the way.I have 2 API 3124+mb,2 Vintech 473,2 Chandler Tgchannels,2 UA 6176, adn an ADL 600So i have a mostly half API,Vintech board most of the time with some chandler,UA and Presonus thrown in there.

The mixes can be recalled in a matter of minutes,rather than 30 minutes.

No samples right now,but i should have something within a month.If you go to the SSL web site you can see some people that have bought one and probably track down some music from one of these people.

Thanks for your interest.

Justin
Old 13th January 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Could I have all 40 outputs from my soundcards going into the Matrix and only inputs 1-16 or 17-32 or 33-40 showing at one time? [ like on my mc mix ]? is that how the 40 inputs work? [ hope that's clear!?!? ]

also can anyone point me in the direction of hearing mixes completed on this setup? someone must have released stuff mixed on this by now?

You can have all 40 inputs from your sound card going to the matrix at the same time.16 cahnnels with be your DAW returns and will show up on the 16 faders.16 more channels will be routed through the stereo cue buss,which can be routed to the mix bus,and those 16 channels will show up on the top have of each channel strip,which is labeled cue buss,and has a volume input,and pan.
So thats 16 on the main faders and 16 on the cue bus.The other 8 can be routed through the FX returns.You can plug directly into them from your converters and they can be routed to the mix bus and have volume and pan.There are actually a few more inputs you can get out of this thing if you are not using some of your main buses.Record bus and the mix bus can be plugged directly into from your sound card.Record bus can be routed to the mix bus,and of course the mix bus is already routed to the mix bus.I think there are 46 or 48 total,i just use 40 most of the time.
Hope this helps.

Justin
Old 13th January 2010
Lives for gear

thank you justin very helpful, love to hear some stuff as and when it's available.

I will try and hunt down some samples via SSL I think too.
Old 14th January 2010
Lives for gear

is it possible to use X-rack modules [ or 500 series pre's etc ] as extra tracks/inputs and just connect them direct to the matrix summing bus? so in theory you have 40+ inputs on mixdown?
Old 24th January 2010
Here for the gear

Hi Justin
Absolutely new to Matrix, so do you know how to route AES/EBU digital "in" to ProTools or any other channel in Matrix?
Appreciated
DRZ
Old 26th January 2010
Gear Maniac

Matrix works for me.

I've collected many outboard pres over the years working without a mixer for alot of that time. I've always had better choices than the console mic pres when I've been using a desk. The Matrix is a great mixer and a good way to add routing flexibilty to a ITB or Hybrid system. I use it for tracking as an inline console and get great monitoring options for the artist. It's great for mixing as well but I prefer using more outboard than the insert matrix handles & I use alot of non-Xrack outboard so I'm doing a fair bit of documentation.

I think you're gonna have to get over the limitations of the board conceptually if your coming from ITB setups. The 40 inputs that you cite is including the stereo returns. These would be fed by stems or effects auxes direct from within your DAW. Folding auxes from the board would require additional AD and induce significant delay. I've generally chosen to feed 2 of my returns from outboard reverbs and the other two stems or effects auxes from ITB Logic sends. You can actually max this board out using all the summing options at 52 inputs at mixdown.

I couldn't imagine a better hub for a Hybrid system but you need to sit down in front of one and get the full demo.

@TimeBandit: Your system is intense!
Old 6th February 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
is it possible to use X-rack modules [ or 500 series pre's etc ] as extra tracks/inputs and just connect them direct to the matrix summing bus? so in theory you have 40+ inputs on mixdown?

I dont think the x-rack thing will work.

But yes you can plug into the busses to use them as extra inputs,so you can have more than 40 inputs at mixdown,but not extra channels,you cant record with them,they just have direct routing to the Mix Bus,and can be summed,then you will have to record the whole Mix Bus to have them recorded.You can also route say a drum bus from your DAW out to your Record Bus and use the insert to process,then route to the mix bus. Whatever you route to them needs to from your converters,so that you can have full control of it in the software,but mix it analog,as the busses have inserts as well,so you can route your signal elsewhere for processing,but they will have to be panned ITB.

I also use 2 API 3124MB+,and use them as 2 additional 4 channel busses,all with inserts,panning and trim.
Old 6th February 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Z View Post
Hi Justin
Absolutely new to Matrix, so do you know how to route AES/EBU digital "in" to ProTools or any other channel in Matrix?
Appreciated
DRZ

Digital I/O
Digital signals are available as either AES3 balanced on digital XLR connectors or as S/PDIF signals on standard optical connectors.
The digital XLR connections should be wired using 110Ω cable.
AES In XLR 3-pin female AES/EBU monitor input
AES Out XLR 3-pin male AES/EBU bus output
S/PDIF In TOSLink Optical digital monitor input
S/PDIF Out TOSLink Optical digital bus output
Note that both outputs are always active. If there is an incoming digital signal, the output will replicate its sample rate, up
to a maximum of 176.4kHz. If no digital input is detected, the output sample rate will default to 44.1kHz.

Matrix has one stereo digital output which feeds both AES/EBU and S/PDIF connections on the desk’s rear
panel. This output is controlled by the Digital I/Oarea of the centre section, located immediately below the
MIXbus master. If a digital input is connected, then Matrix will lock its internal clock to it. The LED in the top
right corner of the Digital I/Oarea, labelled ADC LOCK, lights to indicate that the desk is locked to the
incoming signal.5 16
LEFT RIGHT
SolidStateL
LEFT RIGHT

The digital output can be sourced from the MIXbus, RECbus, or from the monitor signal (pre-monitor level). The SOURCE
button cycles through these options, and LEDs to the right of the button indicate which source is selected. If there is an incoming
digital signal, the output will replicate its sample rate. If no digital input is detected, the output sample rate will default to 44.1kHz.
SolidStateLogic Matrix

Hope this helps
Old 6th February 2010
Gear Maniac

[You can actually max this board out using all the summing options at 52 inputs at mixdown.]

[@TimeBandit: Your system is intense!]

AHHH!!

SSSSHHHHHH!!!!!

You REALLY wanted to blow there minds didnt you!

And thanks for the complement.I worked hard on her.heh

Old 7th December 2013
Here for the gear

Hi,

Yes, I did.
Not exactly but I have a ssl xdesk and xpanda summing mixers with 4xracks providing 16 channels of eq and comp.
The front end is (4) Neve 4081's for a total of 16 of the 1081 circuit and a Neve 8816 summing mixer. It's all normaled together nicely into a (4) 98 pointatchbays in an argosy console.
Her name is Lucy and we invite you to visit her at our website:
Druidcityspaceship.org
I hope this was helpful
Old 7th December 2013
Lives for gear

I'm going Matrix with a Chandler (10 channels w/eq), API (4 vintage channels) and RND front end. When mixing, the first 8 outputs from Pro Tools go through the Chandler line amp and eq before hitting the first 8 faders on the Matrix. Those are my color channels and I usually put Kick, Snare, OH's + kit, drum room mic, Bass, and a stereo guitar buss on those channels. Sometimes I spread the kit across them and submix them if I have a lot of inputs. The next 8 faders just go straight from Pro Tools to the Matrix (doesn't sound bad either) and then I have a collection of outboard EQs (3 channels Pultec, 2 channels Arsenal Audio, 1 Chandler Tone Control and of course the RND channel strip) and compressors to get as many tubes and transformers as I want in the signal patch even if they are bypassed. I love the hell out of the Matrix. So nice to have all those great SSL features (getting even better with the free V2 software upgrade) for mixing and not be paying for mic pres and eqs that you don't need!
Attached Thumbnails
Has anyone built the SSL Matrix/Neve/500 hybrid desk then?-studio-design.jpg   Has anyone built the SSL Matrix/Neve/500 hybrid desk then?-chandler-mini-mixer-1.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search