The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
HPF when using API 560, 550a, 550b? 500 Series EQ\'s
Old 8th January 2010
Gear Maniac

HPF when using API 560, 550a, 550b?

Just curious if you are tracking a vocal with an API 560, can a simple cut of the lowest slider serve well enough for a High Pass filter?

My main vocal mic has no low cut filter, and even with a nice shock mount I do need a decent filter on it no matter what. Would this alone be reason to move to the 550a or 550b parametrics? I'd then have to learn to deal with the 2db increments and the (cringe) extra cost.

I'm assuming for basic tracking either a 550a or 550b would serve just fine by giving up the low band in shelving mode for a LPF, even if I didn't dail in anything else?

I'm planning on picking up a couple of these EQs (or perhaps the GR Harrisons) that would end up performing lots of double duty along with this simple task.
Old 8th January 2010
Gear Maniac

That will reduce low end. You could also back off of the mic a little, too
Old 8th January 2010
Lives for gear

The 550 A has a HPF and a LPF, at 50Hz and 15kHz respectively, IIRC
Old 8th January 2010
Gear Nut

You should try to get a few of them and see what works best for you. but heres my opinion...

I have a pair of the 32's and 550a's. I've also used the Api 5500. I think the Great River/Harrison 32's would be the best choice in this situation. They have a very smooth sound to them even when boosting, and the filters are Killer.
Attached Thumbnails
HPF when using API 560, 550a, 550b?-dsc02840.jpg  
Old 8th January 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
The 550 A has a HPF and a LPF, at 50Hz and 15kHz respectively, IIRC
True, but aren't they on one switch meaning you can't just turn on the 50hz cut?
Old 8th January 2010
Lives for gear

This may not be terribly helpful, but I'd suggest looking at the recording environment (the room, treatments, etc.) and trying to get greater isolation at the source—or (here comes the heresy) consider using a plug-in with a decent HPF—before investing in a high-end outboard EQ simply for filtering purpose.

Of course, that nice new EQ will be useful in other ways, too.

Best of luck.
Old 8th January 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by One To One View Post
You should try to get a few of them and see what works best for you. but heres my opinion...

I have a pair of the 32's and 550a's. I've also used the Api 5500. I think the Great River/Harrison 32's would be the best choice in this situation. They have a very smooth sound to them even when boosting, and the filters are Killer.
Feature wise I agree that the Harrison is the one I probably should go with. Possibly thinking a pair of API 527s, pair of Harrrison 32s, and a pair of EM-PEQs. My pres are two 3124+ units. With all the options in 500s it's hard to know which way to jump!

My main vocal mic (short body U47) typically doesn't need need any low cut in the vocal range tonally and I usually work moderately close, but I still need to cut the rumble from floor noise. I'm using a shock mount, but here the floors are pretty light and even with a heavy stand it's still an issue.

One To One,
Tonally how would you compare the 550a with the Harrison 32, feature set aside? Do you find the non-adjustable Qs acceptable?
Old 8th January 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus77 View Post
This may not be terribly helpful, but I'd suggest looking at the recording environment (the room, treatments, etc.) and trying to get greater isolation at the source—or (here comes the heresy) consider using a plug-in with a decent HPF—before investing in a high-end outboard EQ simply for filtering purpose.

Of course, that nice new EQ will be useful in other ways, too.

Best of luck.
I typically use a plugin to filter out under 50hz, but if I get an outboard compressor it would be nice to run a HPF before hitting the compressor. The room is treated, but truly it could use some doubling of the floor joists or something to stiffen it up a bit. That said, I would be using the EQs for much more than filtering once I got to the mixing stage let alone say on drums during tracking.
Old 8th January 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geetarpicker View Post
Just curious if you are tracking a vocal with an API 560, can a simple cut of the lowest slider serve well enough for a High Pass filter?
This is exactly what I do. The greater the cut, the greater the slope of the cut.....it seems to get the job done over here just fine. In order to get the slope to look close to a hi pass filter you'll have to take the slider all the way down. API may have some specs on this so you can see the variation in Q's when you're drastically cutting. I do it all the time and never really second guessed the sound. Seems fine to me. If pulling the 30hz slider all the way down doesn't do the job then I'll pull the next one all the way down and so forth till it sounds proper.
Old 9th January 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Feature wise I agree that the Harrison is the one I probably should go with. Possibly thinking a pair of API 527s, pair of Harrrison 32s, and a pair of EM-PEQs. My pres are two 3124+ units. With all the options in 500s it's hard to know which way to jump!

My main vocal mic (short body U47) typically doesn't need need any low cut in the vocal range tonally and I usually work moderately close, but I still need to cut the rumble from floor noise. I'm using a shock mount, but here the floors are pretty light and even with a heavy stand it's still an issue.

One To One,
Tonally how would you compare the 550a with the Harrison 32, feature set aside? Do you find the non-adjustable Qs acceptable?
Not having adjustable Q's has not been a problem for me with either unit. Tone wise the GR/Harrison 32 is smooth/clean and the Api 550a is punchy/colored. Each of them are wonderful units, you'll just have to decide which one will work best for you right now. And the only way of doing that is to try both.

Last edited by One To One; 9th January 2010 at 12:32 AM.. Reason: add one word
Old 12th January 2010
Lives for gear

What about incorporating a couple of API 215Ls?
API 215L Discrete HP/LP Sweep Filter
Old 13th January 2010
Gear Maniac

I had thought of that too, though I didn't want to deal with BOTH a 500 and a 200 series rack. If it's technically possible API needs to come up with an adapter unit to fit a 200 module in a 500 slot. Now that would be cool!

That said, I just ordered a pair each of 550b, 560 EQs along with a pair of 527 compressors. I also just picked up a used pair of A-Designs EM-PEQ EQs, but can't play with them until the 500v rack arrives!
Old 13th January 2010
500 series nutjob

Quote:
I had thought of that too, though I didn't want to deal with BOTH a 500 and a 200 series rack. If it's technically possible API needs to come up with an adapter unit to fit a 200 module in a 500 slot. Now that would be cool!

That said, I just ordered a pair each of 550b, 560 EQs along with a pair of 527 compressors. I also just picked up a used pair of A-Designs EM-PEQ EQs, but can't play with them until the 500v rack arrives!
my 550A regularly gets a good work.
the A-Designs EM-PEQ's are insane!
i keep a pair on two buss amongst other constant uses.
Old 13th January 2010
I modd'd most of my 550's to eliminate the LPF and just have a HPF...easy to do.
Old 13th January 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubeaudiofan View Post
I modd'd most of my 550's to eliminate the LPF and just have a HPF...easy to do.
I figured it wouldn't be hard to do.
Old 14th January 2010
Lives for gear

Stay 500 series and get a pair of Shiny Box Guillotines.

I have had my pair since day one and they get a lot of use in front of the TG2, API, Martech and Great river Pre's. Totally recallable and super clean. For Hardware LP/HP these are outstanding! My 2 cents...

Here is a thread on them a while back.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...uillotine.html
Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubeaudiofan View Post
Can this be done with the Harrison as well? The lpf is the one thing killing me about using it during vocal tracking.
Old 3rd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Is this mod description to be found anywhere public ?
Old 8th August 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
I still need to cut the rumble from floor noise. I'm using a shock mount, but here the floors are pretty light and even with a heavy stand it's still an issue.

Respectfully, I think you're looking at the wrong tool to fix the problem (hpf to fix mic rumble).

The solution below is vastly superior, because

a) it won't introduce a capacitor (and therefore phase shift) into your entire signal, which is what an HPF filter does (analog or dsp)

b) the rumble won't be eating the headroom of the mic's amp, and

c) your transient details on the delicate nuances of the human voice, plucking of an acoustic guitar, or shimmer on a ride cymbal won't be smeared or compromised.

Pricier, extremely effective, infinitely better than conventional: M600 - Enhanced Audio

Cheaper, reasonably effective, way better than conventional: Rycote

Remember, too, that a *lot* of rumble is transmitted through mic cables, especially if they're clipped to a stand. So if you're going to invest in something like the above, take care in how you route your cables as well.

Using the enhanced audio shockmount with careful cable routing, I can stomp on my hardwood floor and all I get in the recording is the sound of the stomp in the room, absolutely none of the thump is reaching the mic.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 8th August 2014
500 series nutjob

I would agree with u b k, isolation is what would be needed.
I can't speak for the mounts he mentions but I respect his views so I doubt you could go wrong.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search