The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Buzz Audio SOC-1.1 Stereo Optical Compressor
Old 5th January 2010
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Tube World's Avatar
Buzz Audio SOC-1.1 Stereo Optical Compressor

I have seen very little about this optic compressor on gearslutz. Anyone use it? I would assume it's good for vocals...perhaps on a 2 bus or at the mastering stage?
Old 5th January 2010
  #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World View Post
I have seen very little about this optic compressor on gearslutz. Anyone use it? I would assume it's good for vocals...perhaps on a 2 bus or at the mastering stage?
There are a lot of positive comments on these threads

Buzz soc 1.1 vs rnc 1773

Modern opto that will give me quality of Alcatronics modded La4?

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/moan-...udio-gear.html

Buzz Audio SOC 1.1 Stereo Optical Compressor

Sweet vocal comp please !
Old 5th January 2010
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Tube World's Avatar
It is similar to the Manley ELOP in sound but with more controls? Looking for a gentle compressor for a 2 bus. Yes I like the Pend OCL2 and DW Fearn VT7 (thought it cost too much for me) as well for this job. Cranesong STC-8 is too clean for my taste. Just found it interesting that there is not more talk about the Buzz compressor.
Old 5th January 2010
  #4
Lives for gear
 
lectric's Avatar
Now I have a soc and I am very happy. Clean compression with a nice and subtle colour. For my really better than a rnc or a aphex 651.
Old 5th January 2010
  #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World View Post
It is similar to the Manley ELOP in sound but with more controls? Looking for a gentle compressor for a 2 bus. Yes I like the Pend OCL2 and DW Fearn VT7 (thought it cost too much for me) as well for this job. Cranesong STC-8 is too clean for my taste. Just found it interesting that there is not more talk about the Buzz compressor.
It's more similar to the Pendulum than it is to the Manley. The Manley is pretty clean also to my ears, but has a bit more softness, and a slightly more midrange emphasis as compared to the Buzz (where the Buzz has a more neutral midrange).
Old 6th January 2010
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Aisle 6's Avatar
I have only used the Buz channel strip. I am guessing that it is the same comp. If so, it sounds great on vocals. Very responsive, with a hint of colour and no unwanted artifacts. The comp in the strip impressed me enough to want to use it on it's own. The channel strip is my next purchase for sure.
Old 6th January 2010
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Tube World's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisle 6 View Post
I have only used the Buz channel strip. I am guessing that it is the same comp. If so, it sounds great on vocals. Very responsive, with a hint of colour and no unwanted artifacts. The comp in the strip impressed me enough to want to use it on it's own. The channel strip is my next purchase for sure.
Wish I could get a OCL-2, ES8, and the SOC 1.1 to see which one I like best for 2 bus, and mastering. Then again I might once I have the money to buy one of them
Old 6th January 2010
  #8
Lives for gear
 
DrSax's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World View Post
Wish I could get a OCL-2, ES8, and the SOC 1.1 to see which one I like best for 2 bus, and mastering. Then again I might once I have the money to buy one of them
I have 2 Buzz Essence comps which are similar to the SOC... I LOVE them a lot... However, for 2 buss and mastering I recently discovered the Charter Oaks SCL-1 and am completely blown away by it. Clean and clear but warm and musical... It's
absolutely astonishing for it's price... best 2 buss/mastering comp I've ever used. It stands up to comps I have that are 3 times it's price. Check out post number 27 of this thread for my thoughts in the SCL-1

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...r-limiter.html

I believe Nathan carries both Buzz and Charter Oak - maybe you can arrange
to try them out side by side.

The Charter Oak is unlike any comp I've ever used - amazing stuff.
FYI - both the Buzz and Charter Oak also sound great on a lot
of individual sources too!
Old 15th April 2010
  #9
Gear Maniac
 
Upfront2K's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSax View Post
I have 2 Buzz Essence comps which are similar to the SOC... I LOVE them a lot... However, for 2 buss and mastering I recently discovered the Charter Oaks SCL-1 and am completely blown away by it. Clean and clear but warm and musical... It's
absolutely astonishing for it's price... best 2 buss/mastering comp I've ever used. It stands up to comps I have that are 3 times it's price. Check out post number 27 of this thread for my thoughts in the SCL-1

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...r-limiter.html

I believe Nathan carries both Buzz and Charter Oak - maybe you can arrange
to try them out side by side.

The Charter Oak is unlike any comp I've ever used - amazing stuff.
FYI - both the Buzz and Charter Oak also sound great on a lot
of individual sources too!
Just saw this post so I'm a bit late, though it's never to late.

I second Dr. Sax on the Charter Oak SCL-1 compressor. He was instrumental in me getting the unit and I have to say I've never heard a unit that sounds this good on the mix. The Fidelity has to heard to be believed it is simple astonishing.

I have the Buzz SOC 1 and love the machine but it is not even close to the Charter Oak for mix buss application. I'm am surprised there isn't a lot more talk on the machine but I would chalk it up to the fact that many haven't had a chance to experience the unit. When they due it will be all over for a lot of other units which I won't mention. LoL
Old 15th April 2010
  #10
Lives for gear
 
studjo's Avatar
 

I got a SOC and a Pendulum OCL (in my Quartets) and the SOC is mainly used for lead vocals and bass while the SOC is tied to the master bus ... but I'd be happy the other way round as well heh both amazing comps and the built quality of the SOC is really above em all IMVHO

Jo
Old 18th April 2010
  #11
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by studjo View Post
I got a SOC and a Pendulum OCL (in my Quartets) and the SOC is mainly used for lead vocals and bass while the SOC is tied to the master bus ... but I'd be happy the other way round as well heh both amazing comps and the built quality of the SOC is really above em all IMVHO

Jo
Don't use the OCL anywhere?

Anyway, I just snagged an SOC1.1 myself, and I'm loving it on the 2-bus for jazz/folk/cleaner stuff...adds fullness and energy/excitement without changing the tonal balance much at all. Love it!


André
Old 18th April 2010
  #12
The SOC is a keeper, one you never sell. Its so................useful.
Old 22nd May 2011
  #13
Lives for gear
Buzz Audio Soc 1.1 Compressor

I am about to order a Soc 1.1 this week. I am sooooooo excited after having spoken with Tim and reading fantastic reviews about it on the net and GS.
Old 27th May 2011
  #14
Lives for gear
Buzz Audio Soc 1.1 Compressor

I received my Soc 1.1 today. I inserted it on a bus for stereo acoustic guitar tracks and was totally blown away. I had it set as follows: auto attack, auto release, 2.1 ration, 1 drive and 4 output. The review articles that I read are spot on. It made the guitar sound the way I had imagined it to sound on a very well produced CD. I had previously used a Manley VariMu on the guitar tracks, which while sounding good, was 50% of the quality of the sound I got from the Soc 1.1. The Soc 1.1 really smoothed the guitars and gave them a very wide and upfront sound. It made them sound much better than the unprocessed sound (which was recorded with a Doug Jane 2A73 and a stereo set of Neumann KM 184s and sounded good unprocessed). I am looking forward to using the Soc 1.1 on vocals, bass and all sorts of other instruments including mixes. I will be saving my pennies to buy more gear from Tim.
Old 27th May 2011
  #15
Lives for gear
 
studjo's Avatar
 

check Tim's Ma2.2 preamp - it's really smoking - love that thing to pieces

and the REQ is another Monster from NZ


:D
Old 27th May 2011
  #16
Lives for gear
 
msquared's Avatar
 

Buzz gear is top notch! Much love for the SOC.
Old 28th May 2011
  #17
Lives for gear
Tim also has a new quad preamp that looks very nice too.
Old 29th May 2011
  #19
J-K
Gear Head
 

I own both the ARC and the SOC. They have the same compressor in them, and I haven't done a tour in the last 4 years without one of them parked on my main vocals (except for a short electro-pop thing that I used a Daking FET2 for...)
The Buzz comps are fantastic in that I can set them and forget them and get on with mixing the show.
I bought my 1st one from Nathan and the second direct from Tim. The customer service is first rate from both of these guys as well.... when Tim heard that my ARC was going on the road for 18 months of trucks and cookie sheets he had Nathan do a mod to the unit before they would let me have it.
Both units have worked non-stop since I bought them.
Can't say enough positive things!
Old 3rd June 2011
  #20
Gear Maniac
 
Doctor Rockter's Avatar
 

SOC 1.1 / Smart Research C2 for mastering ?????

Hi to all,

sorry to jump into this discussion but before opening another SOC 1.1-thread I thought it would be better to post here:

I am about to get me either the Smart Research C2 (M) or the SOC 1.1 for the 2-buss AND for mastering apllications.

Would you think I could make anything wrong with either of them - and why??

cheers
Sascha
Old 4th June 2011
  #21
Lives for gear
 

I LOVE my SOC.
It's by far my most used tracking comp.
I'm amazed you don't see more of these out there.
You will not be disappointed.

Z
Old 5th June 2011
  #22
Gear Maniac
 
Doctor Rockter's Avatar
 

That's like music to my ears (my eyes)
Old 6th June 2011
  #23
Lives for gear
 
studjo's Avatar
 

boah man that's gonna be hard - my Smart C2 is glued to the masterbus while the SOC is on Bass and Vocals ... you defenitely need both
Old 19th August 2011
  #24
Here for the gear
 

Samples can be great!

Hi there folks.

Anyone cares to put some samples?

Ill be very gratfull!!

Thanx.
Old 5th June 2012
  #25
Lives for gear
Can't add any samples but I bought an MA2.2 a few months ago from Tim. That is one mean preamp. It is my go to pre. It is so versatile with the transformerless and transformer outputs. Everything sounds fantastic through it going into an Apogee Symphony i/o.
Old 5th June 2012
  #26
Lives for gear
 

I have a S.O.C-1.1 which I once considered selling due to a cash crisis caused by illness.

But I didnt end up selling it and I'm very glad I didnt.

Great compressor.

Sean
Old 5th June 2012
  #27
Gear Nut
 
J_Flux's Avatar
Is the SOC any good for mastering EDM? Is the colour it adds suitable for this task?
Old 5th June 2012
  #28
Gear Addict
 
Elof's Avatar
 

I´ve had a SOC 1.1 for over a year now. It´s simply amazing for recording (and mixing) vocals. I bought it for that, but I also run it on the mix bus.
Great, great opto, the most transparent one I have ever used, almost open things up.
Old 7th June 2012
  #29
Gear Addict
 
Kabby's Avatar
This is a song I used the SOC 1.1 during the tracking of each instrument with a couple db of gain reduction on the way in. At mix time I used the SOC 1.1 on the vocal buss with 20:1 ratio, auto attack, 16 release, with it doing between 10 & 15 db of GR. You can hear the compression but I like it.

http://soundcloud.com/kabby-kabakoff/gold-subaru
Old 7th June 2012
  #30
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Flux View Post
Is the SOC any good for mastering EDM? Is the colour it adds suitable for this task?
In theory, any high quality device is suitable for mastering, whether EDM or any kind of music.

For professional mastering engineers two related factors often rear their heads: recall and revisions.

This is why many mastering engineers use devices with switch based pots, or (as a pragmatic compromise) detented pots. Not only do switches often sound better, they make exact recall much easier.

The SOC 1.1 has some very useful switching (ratio, attack, release), but the two big knobs (Drive and Output) are neither switching nor detented. So that makes recall and revisions a little more difficult, but not impossible of course.

But from a sound perspective, the SOC 1.1 is a wonderful compressor and it's excellent low frequency handling seems suitable for EDM.....except for one thing: no bandpass sidechain. In some circumstances with EDM, that might be a showstopper.

But the SOC-20 has side chains and M/S. That's what I'd buy now.

Sean
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
rouslan / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
8
1monkey1 / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
1
AB3 / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
10
AB3 / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
AB3 / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
6

Forum Jump
Forum Jump