The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AKG C412 - what are they worth? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 4th January 2010
Gear Head

AKG C412 - what are they worth?

I have a pair of AKG C412s with the original CK12 capsules. I am the second owner. Bought them in the mid-80s from a studio that closed. Sequential serial numbers even: 234, 235. I had Tracy Korby clean both capsules last year. These were my first "good" mics, so there is more than a little sentimental attachment to them. They are in great shape. I just fired both of them up and they both sound good to me. One may be a bit hotter than the other (wasn't a rigorous test), but sound quality/tone is similar.

On the other hand, they're just sitting in a cabinet not being used. My studio days are over and should I get a wild hair up my ass, I have a nice CAD VX2 and a couple Earthworks QTC-1s to record acoustic stuff with.

I'm guessing they are worth $1500 - $2000 each given their rarity, excellent physical condition, recent cleaning, and sequential serial numbers. I'm not even sure I want to sell them, but if the right offer came around, well, I guess it's better to know they are being used rather than sitting idle. Problem is, there are so few of them out there for sale that I can't seem to get a good handle on what the going rate is.

Any input on what they are worth would be appreciated...

Here's a photo:

[IMG]file:///F:/RB7_8144.JPG[/IMG]
Old 4th January 2010
Lives for gear

I sold one about a year ago for $1250, and it wasn't as clean as yours. I still have a pair, great sounding mics!
Old 5th January 2010
Gear Head

Thanks for the reply Jeff. Any/all data points are helpful.
Old 2nd December 2012
Here for the gear

Super long shot here, as this post was in 2010, but do you still have these mics and are looking to sell?

Thanks!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search