The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lexicon 480L vs Lexicon 300L
Old 2nd October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
PM sent!
Ok No Problem.....M300 v1.x Needs a total OCR and/or B&W Scan though as no version M300 v1.x PDF File exists?..So.....I'll grab it out from the old Filing Cabinet! (Might take a while!) Until then...... Here is the EPROM Set Upgrade PDF from V1.x to 3.x M300 only for all to see:
Cheers
Jeremy.
TLB.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attac...1&d=1349143024
Attached Files
Old 8th October 2012 | Show parent
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
Ok No Problem.....M300 v1.x Needs a total OCR and/or B&W Scan though as no version M300 v1.x PDF File exists?..So.....I'll grab it out from the old Filing Cabinet! (Might take a while!)
How do I change presets on the M300? I've figured out how the Random Hall modulation works, but I can't figure out how to change to a different preset without changing the I/O to digital.
Lives for gear

Quote:
How do I change presets on the M300? I've figured out how the Random Hall modulation works, but I can't figure out how to change to a different preset without changing the I/O to digital.
Sean, would you like to borrow my 300L? It has the latest firmware.

-Casey
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
Sean, would you like to borrow my 300L? It has the latest firmware.
I actually have another kind person here at GS looking for the latest firmware & GAL for my unit, but I appreciate the offer!
Lives for gear

There are things I would do that some might consider slightly immortal for a set of 3.5 chips for my 300m. ( I might also pay good money for them )
Old 9th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by africantigercow View Post
There are things I would do that some might consider slightly immortal for a set of 3.5 chips for my 300m. ( I might also pay good money for them )
I think someone offered v. 3.5 chip clones here on GS, dunno does it work like that, and cost was close to 0.
BTW I have both L and M units controlled via LARC (M being spare or auxiliary machine). Use them sparsingly on approaching final stage of mixes, so hopefully those guys might live long.
Love 96, Bricasti, TC, but 300s do their own thing exactly as needed, right tool with bit of nostalgia and no, really no plug does that in same way.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang View Post
I think someone offered v. 3.5 chip clones here on GS, dunno does it work like that, and cost was close to 0.
BTW I have both L and M units controlled via LARC (M being spare or auxiliary machine). Use them sparsingly on approaching final stage of mixes, so hopefully those guys might live long.
Love 96, Bricasti, TC, but 300s do their own thing exactly as needed, right tool with bit of nostalgia and no, really no plug does that in same way.
The gal chips needed to do that upgrade are copy protected and very rare :(
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yep. There are 3 chips needed for the upgrade. Two of the eproms can be copied and found around Gearslutz if you search and are patient. The third, GAL chip, is copy protected and harder to find every day.

Don't give up hope though. I found one here on Gearslutz within the last year, so it is possible.
Lives for gear

what is the going rate for the gal chips when they pop up?
Old 17th October 2012
Gear Addict

5 stars to the Lexicon 300!!!

There are many world class reverbs on the market..but the M300 is a workhorse for me. It is my "main reverb".

Even its original factory presets are mostly so good for general use during mixing and for any kind of music, that you wouldn't waste time to tweak its programs so much. It offers nice ambience algos for a modern intime dry sound ("Medium Ambience"), nice plates for vocals (e.g. the legendary "Contemplate" program heard on so many records), large halls for huge synth leads and guitars ("Large Church" or "Gothic Hall") and some usefull chambers for short reverbs on critical material e.g. "Wide Chamber" for hard dance/trance/electro bass-lines. Also some characterfull reverbs like "Dance Hall" or the legendary "Wetsuit" for spacey sounding vocals in EDM...and many more.

The audio and midi integration to an actual DAW is no problem with its digital I/Os (AES/SPDIF) and MIDI SysEx command and controller possibilities.
In this point I would choose the 300 over the 480 without doubts. The 480 is of course a classic with a great sound, but it costs more than the double compared to a 300, but doesn't sound so much better that it would be a good choice over a 300.

So what you want more?

The M300 delivers 80-90% of reverb algos that I need, and the 10-20% that it can't deliver I find in my Eventide DSP-4000. If you have both reverb machines you are in reverb sky heh So..for around 2500-3000$ you get both - M300 and DSP-4000 - and this duo beats the 480 of course.

Sudad G

PS: I own the older version 1.1 or 1.2 and never missed the other eproms or dual option of 2.x or 3.x.
Old 19th October 2012 | Show parent
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudad G View Post
The M300 delivers 80-90% of reverb algos that I need, and the 10-20% that it can't deliver I find in my Eventide DSP-4000. If you have both reverb machines you are in reverb sky heh So..for around 2500-3000$ you get both - M300 and DSP-4000 - and this duo beats the 480 of course.
How are the reverbs in the DSP-4000? I have an H3000, and the reverbs there are either grainy but with a great decay (Swept Room), or dense but metallic (Dense Room).

Quote:
PS: I own the older version 1.1 or 1.2 and never missed the other eproms or dual option of 2.x or 3.x.
From what I gather, the Random Hall algorithm in later versions of the M300 ROMs is somewhat denser than the "Reverberation" algorithm of the 1.1 ROM that I have.
Old 19th October 2012
Lives for gear

Night and diff between H3000 series reverb and DSP series reverb to my ears. I never liked and rarely ever used the reverbs in any of the H3000 models but I now own 4-DSP series Eventide units that get used for many chores in addition to reverb.
Old 20th October 2012 | Show parent
nkf
Lives for gear

Quote:
How are the reverbs in the DSP-4000? I have an H3000, and the reverbs there are either grainy but with a great decay (Swept Room), or dense but metallic (Dense Room).
I still have my old DSP4000 and use it from time to time because of its own character. All reverbs in this box sound grainy compared to a Quantec or a Lexicon 300. But, as a start, the DSP4000 has the 'Blackhole' original preset. It sounds different than the plug in, which I also have. The DSP400 is a unique box and sounding raw in todays standards but that's exactly why I like it.

BTW.: what's going on with your surround reverb plug in ... is it still in development?
Old 20th October 2012 | Show parent
Audio X
Quote:
I have 2 spare chips here that say M300 v3.50 v23 and
M300 v3.50-2 v22 (date)11/93

Any idea what those are?
Old 22nd October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
How are the reverbs in the DSP-4000? I have an H3000, and the reverbs there are either grainy but with a great decay (Swept Room), or dense but metallic (Dense Room). From what I gather, the Random Hall algorithm in later versions of the M300 ROMs is somewhat denser than the "Reverberation" algorithm of the 1.1 ROM that I have.
The DSP4000 was offered as Eventide's second "True" (1st was the SP2016) One Stop Shop for all you would ever need in FX/Verb (Plus the 4000 and PCM80/90 came out around the same time) though w/ VSIG swapped for Mod Factory and various improvement's there were & are some wonderful Reverbs in the DSP4000. An Eclipse is just the best of an H3000 & DSP4000, a 7000/7500 DSP4000/H3000/Eclipse etc Plus Sampling and more modules and FX/Verbs designed in VSIG. There are 2 or 3 very beautiful Reverbs in the DSP4000 that I've used over the M/L300 plenty of times as they just suited the material better (Les Mis in the theatre etc) Like Lexicon, Eventide Builds on Algo's from the H3000 to this day!

From what I can remember the M300 Dual Upgrade came along around V4.00 for the 480L. The trade off was Ambience into the 480L and the other's including Rich Plate into the M300. I would not say they sound like for like, though as close as I've ever found those 480L algo's are certainly in the M/L300. Maybe the DSP Coding has been snipped and made to fit, though I'm pretty sure anyone who's used a 480L would agree a M/L300 get's you very very close apart from all the compressor and Mastering stuff that no one used, and the sampling which became near redundant with SME boards costing more then an EMAX III etc.
Old 23rd October 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by seancostello
Forget the reverb of old H3000. The DSP-4000 has complete new designed reverb algorithms that are on the niveau of a Lexicon 300 or TC M5000 but with another character. That's also one of the reason that made the DSP-4000 reverb interesting for mixing to have a contrast to the Lexicon sound.
E.g. if you have a full playback with a lot of instruments the DSP-4000 reverb could be sometimes the only solution to add a kind of reverb to a lead sound or vocaltrack - even when the playback is dense - and you hear it.

The DSP-4000 has also some nice percussion rooms and RMX-16 emulations and the legendary reverbs called "Blackhole" (good audio example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoO5H_r_8UU) and "GloriousFlangeCanyon" or "E-NoseFlangeCanyon" that are the key for spacey sounds in ambient, trance and chillout tracks or for awsome sounding guitar lines.

For me the DSP-4000 is the best combination to a classic lexicon 300 or 480.

Its strength are modulated and spacey reverbs and also some crisp and 3D sounding reverbs, plates and chambers like the eventide 2016. The DSP-4000 also offers some very nice AMS RMX-16 emulations and many more. And beside the reverbs the DSP-4000 is the king in chorus, detune, pitch shift effects.

The lexicon 300 and 480 give you more the natural sounding reverbs and the classic lex sound. This means if you search for a jazz club sound or a library hall or a nice living room or some cathedrals and concert halls, the Lex 300/480, Bricasti M7 or Quantec are the better choices. But if you search great halls for bombastic trance lead sounds or some reverbs for very spacey guitar lines (e.g. Sting, Pink Floyd, Chicane etc. ) that sounds like from another planet and more 3D, than the DSP-4000 would make you more happy.

Reverbs in the newer Eclipse, Orville etc. are based on those DSP-4000 reverb algorithms.

Sudad G
Old 23rd October 2012 | Show parent
Deleted 8456dd3
They are the main Eproms for the v3.5 OS for the Lexicon 300... but you need the GALS too which are as rare as rocking horse ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio X View Post
I have 2 spare chips here that say M300 v3.50 v23 and
M300 v3.50-2 v22 (date)11/93

Any idea what those are?
Old 23rd October 2012 | Show parent
Audio X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 8456dd3 View Post
They are the main Eproms for the v3.5 OS for the Lexicon 300... but you need the GALS too which are as rare as rocking horse ****
Thanks. It's been almost 20 years that I've had it and am currently running 3.5 so I assume the chips are set in the machine and the eproms were the revision updates at the time.
Old 30th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Assuming the GAL's in the 300 are 16V8's, I can reverse engineer them. If anyone is interested, I would need an original to read, and then I can figure out the logic inside.
Old 30th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radardoug View Post
Assuming the GAL's in the 300 are 16V8's, I can reverse engineer them. If anyone is interested, I would need an original to read, and then I can figure out the logic inside.

Someone please get hold of radardoug! It would make so many 300 owners very very very very happy.
Old 31st December 2012 | Show parent
TSM
Gear Addict

OK...thinking of getting a 300. I have been offered one with front panel buttons, however has ver 3.5 software. Will this only work with a Larc? The seller does not have a Larc....
Thanks
Old 31st December 2012
Lives for gear

It works without the Larc

WT
Old 1st January 2013 | Show parent
TSM
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveterm View Post

WT
Thanks WT
Old 4th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveterm View Post

WT
+1
Old 12th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

yo! Just found this thread again - people searching for the lexicon 300 v3.5 chips can contact Steve Lenham at his website Benden Sound Technology - Home

He recently managed to reproduce the ever elusive GAL chip and is selling them at a reasonable price.

I bought a set from him (after hunting for AGES!) and they work a charm!
Old 12th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
yo! Just found this thread again - people searching for the lexicon 300 v3.5 chips can contact Steve Lenham at his website Benden Sound Technology - Home

He recently managed to reproduce the ever elusive GAL chip and is selling them at a reasonable price.

I bought a set from him (after hunting for AGES!) and they work a charm!

Steve is the guy to fix Lexicons. Highly recommendable. Repaired my 224xl some years ago.
Old 14th April 2013
Lives for gear

Corresponded with Steve Lenham, Lovely Guy. His work in fixing Lexicon Units and the 224 X, XL's is quite amazing and Steve's work on these units is beautiful indeed. Steve has also Cracked the M/L300 3.x Gal For M300's and 3.5L Gal for L300's should you be looking for an Eprom/Gal set ---------> Go Straight to Benden Technology in the UK!

Old 14th April 2013
Lives for gear

M300 L300 Eprom Upgrade x 3 Chip Set

GS Lexicon Service & Upgrade Tech Note:

Benden Tech Services
Re: Lexicon M300
Re: Lexicon L/300
Eprom Set:
Version 3.5
---------------------------
Corresponded with Steve Lenham Via Email 2013:
Steve has also Cracked the M300 Gal Code:
For M300's and L300's should you be looking for an Eprom/GAL Upgrade Set
Version 1.02 /2.x ---- to 3.x or V3.5

Email to Benden Technology in the UK.
Attn: Benden Tech Services UK
Email: <bst(AT)bendentech.co.uk>

Last edited by TheLastByte; 22nd August 2013 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: Lexicon Upgrade Tech Companies M300 & L300
Old 30th August 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
I've got a spare upgrade kit to OS version 3.5 for the 300M (3 chips). If anyone is interested let me know.
Old 1st September 2014
Lives for gear

Thank god for subscribing to threads! I'd 100% forgotten where all the Lexicon service guys are/ where

Total Life Saver!

American Guys and those surrounding Countries,

For Lexicon Service: You want Dane Beamish from "Beamish Electronics In Cleveland, Ohio" he fixes Lexicon and Eventide from 224 to XL to 480L to M/L300 and everything in-between!

Regards,
TLB
📝 Reply