The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Avocet / Dangerous Monitor ST+ DAC Monitor Controllers
Old 5th January 2010
Lives for gear

Dangerous Music is awesome!

The OP's experience is the polar opposite of mine with Dangerous. Maybe the retailer failed to follow through in some way. I deal with Bob Muller, the owner, who goes above and beyond the call of duty to ensure that I get the right stuff for my needs. He's even turned me on to a few hip recording techniques so that I could get the most out of the gear. Several artists I mixed became Dangerous customers, and they confirm the same great service and quality.

Dangerous Music equipment is truly excellent in terms of design, build quality and customer service. The Dangerous guys uncompromisingly "do it right" every time, and my ST/SR, S&M and 2-Bus units have been bombproof over five years of 24/7 service.

For the record, I purchased every DM item that I own, and I am a completely satisfied customer.
Old 6th January 2010
I have a Dangerous Monitor ST, and I have been 100% happy with the operation, and the great support from the guys at Dangerous. I ended up wanting a small mod on the unit to suit my workflow, and worked with Chris to get it exactly how I wanted it. Chris and Bob are awesome, and I recommend it to all who ask about it.

- Kent
Old 6th January 2010
Gear Maniac

I tried the avocet and the Dangerous.
The avocet edged out the ST.
Both in terms of sound transparency and build quality.
Old 6th January 2010
Lives for gear

I use both between the 2 studios I work in. The Avocet wins in my book. Better control, better sound. YMMV.
Old 6th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post
Sure. And lots more.

The Presonus Central Station has really bad stereo tracking. The Danfield has perfect tracking, better than any other monitor controller I've used.

I don't think that $1,500 is right in the US any longer. But try asking Mark.

It's €1.444 excluding VAT in Europe. That's €1.800 ($2,600) in Denmark, which I think is a very low price for such a quality unit.
thanks again L, i'll email Danfield directly to get the full story.

since i'm in Europe this is a very attractive option, wrt service and such.
Old 6th January 2010
Talk to [email protected] he's the one you should talk to, and say hello from me.
Old 7th January 2010
Gear Addict

Hey Lagerfeldt...

Nice Avatar
Old 7th January 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vudoo View Post
I have both boxes here at the studio, the surround version. The Avocet is an amazing controller. Also the built quality and costumer service of Dangerous product is not so great so if you don't live in the US, this might be something to considered.
My Dangerous ST, SR and now the remote, basically every single piece, end up being faulty. I bought it almost 8 months ago and to this day i'm still waiting to get a fully working set up.
If you have the $, Avocet all the way.
Hey Guys, I'm compelled to join in this one. I'm located in Canada as well, and for what it's worth, I own some Cranesong gear and some Dangerous gear. I set up a newer mix room based predominantly around a powerful HD Pro Tools and analogue summing some time ago, to cater to some of my Clients that had very specific requirements for mix projects. I still manage to patch in some analog gear, including my trusted STC-8 on the mix buss. It's a smaller footprint with regards to room size and desk but it definitely still manages to pack a punch. Really, it's like having some great modern options and I'm able to choose the right tools for the task.

I did consider the options and ultimately went with the Dangerous ST. I really liked the fact that the unit could be purchased at entry level, with no DAC, no SR, and you can add options as you need them. Besides having an incredible reputation, with design background at Sterling Sound, the pricing was competitive. Long story short, I now have the Dangerous Monitor ST, Dangerous Monitor SR, Dangerous MQ (analogue and digital metering), Dangerous 2-bus (summing) and I've added the DAC-ST not so long ago...all are stellar!

The fact that some time ago you'd need gear the size of a fridge to handle monitoring and even basic summing, my Dangerous stuff is stunning - in design and build quality, sound, and even looks. I've mixed plenty of records in plenty of rooms and I can tell you that my Dangerous ST / SR provides some of the best monitoring I've ever experienced.

Lots of great options to add as you go, the build is mastering quality, and support is amazing...I've asked some questions along the way and I've always been met with great support.

Good luck!
G.
Old 7th January 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Johan View Post
I tried the avocet and the Dangerous.
The avocet edged out the ST.
Both in terms of sound transparency and build quality.
Same experience here
bought the Avocet
wonderful sounding contoller
Old 8th January 2010
Here for the gear

Dangerous is actually quite safe!

I use the Dangerous 2 Bus, Monitor ST and DAC ST and they are definitely fabulous pieces. I did quite a bit of research from very trusted and joyfully, emphatically critical folks and they all said, "Well, if you want true transparency, go with Dangerous."

So yes, built like tanks, great sound, really great folks to deal with. I've used this in my setup for the most recent record for Universal Music and all who've heard it are very blown away. The 2 Bus DEFINITELY trumps ITB stuff. The Monitor ST works like a charm. DAC ST dead on for comparing digital sources.

No issues with broken anything. All pieces worked like a charm right out of the box!

Dangerous Music stuff is very safe for radio ready hit records... if that's what you're shooting for.

Richard
producer/studio/player
glassWing recording studio - vancouver island, b.c canada
Old 8th January 2010
Lives for gear

a couple years back I demoed a few Monitor controllers including the Avocet and chose the Grace Design. I felt the sound was crystal clear, the DAC is stellar, The Headphone amp is one of the best on the market and the m906 has the most versatile amount of Inputs out there. 4 sets of 5.1 inputs and 7 stereo analog & Digital with every input able to be calibrated and saved. All in a 2 space rack! It is an amazing piece of gear and I can't live without it. The Service at Grace Design is also Top Notch. You should demo one first. thumbsup

Old 10th January 2010
Lives for gear
Are there other who have used the Grace design 906?
Old 10th January 2010
Lives for gear

Different unit... but I went from CS to Dangerous D-Box and love it.
I miss the controller but the analog and DAC is so much better then the CS.
Old 27th May 2010
Lives for gear
I opened the thread asking for Avocet/Dangerous Monitor ST+DAC, finally I end up with this set-up: Forsell MADA + Sm Pro AUdio M-Patch 2
Why?
1-Forsell MADA is the best AD DA converter I have ever listened, better than CS DAC without any doubt
So, I can use it for monitorin g when I stay ITB which is 80% of my time. Then If I go outboard, I'm converting with Forsell MADA and monitoring through the Crane Hedd
2- SMP2 has 2 stereo inputs, 2 stereo outputs which is enough to my needs.

I'm very confortable with this setup and so happy with the fantastic Forsell MADA
Old 27th May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswingstudios View Post
I use the Dangerous 2 Bus, Monitor ST and DAC ST and they are definitely fabulous pieces. I did quite a bit of research from very trusted and joyfully, emphatically critical folks and they all said, "Well, if you want true transparency, go with Dangerous."

So yes, built like tanks, great sound, really great folks to deal with. I've used this in my setup for the most recent record for Universal Music and all who've heard it are very blown away. The 2 Bus DEFINITELY trumps ITB stuff. The Monitor ST works like a charm. DAC ST dead on for comparing digital sources.

No issues with broken anything. All pieces worked like a charm right out of the box!

Dangerous Music stuff is very safe for radio ready hit records... if that's what you're shooting for.

Richard
producer/studio/player
glassWing recording studio - vancouver island, b.c canada
you said it right! Dangerous Rules!! same setup here!
Old 27th May 2010
Lives for gear

im using the ST for years. and i neither had problems with the sound nor the db25 connections. i love the unit!
Old 3 weeks ago
JGM
Lives for gear

Resurrection time.

Is the Dangerous Monitor ST and DAC-ST still considered a very good option in 2019? I have the Monitor ST and am seriously thinking about adding a DAC-ST, but just wondering if the DACs are any good by today's standards?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM View Post
Resurrection time.

Is the Dangerous Monitor ST and DAC-ST still considered a very good option in 2019? I have the Monitor ST and am seriously thinking about adding a DAC-ST, but just wondering if the DACs are any good by today's standards?
Get the Convert 2
Old 3 weeks ago
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzone View Post
Get the Convert 2
Can’t afford it. Already have the Monitor ST and am thinking about adding the DAC-ST.
Would love to have the convert 2, but that’s not in my budge right now.
I was looking to get some opinions from folks who may still be using the Mon ST DAC ST combo.
Thanks
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

DAC

Quote:
Can’t afford it. Already have the Monitor ST and am thinking about adding the DAC-ST.
Would love to have the convert 2, but that’s not in my budge right now.
I was looking to get some opinions from folks who may still be using the Mon ST DAC ST combo.
Thanks
Stopped using their DAC when the Convert 2 came out. There are people still using 192’s and 16X’s. There was a reason to change to the Convert. I’m sure you can still work with it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I have an Avocet, I think it's a fantastic controller with exactly the features I need.

I think at this level CS, Grace and Dangerous are all great options. You can't go wrong.

I just find Dave Hill designs to be the best ( I am also have a HEDD)
Old 3 weeks ago
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Stopped using their DAC when the Convert 2 came out. There are people still using 192’s and 16X’s. There was a reason to change to the Convert. I’m sure you can still work with it.
So just to be clear, you were using a Dangerous DAC-ST with a Dangerous Monitor ST prior to buying the Convert 2. But once you bought the Convert 2 you no longer used the DAC-ST? Is that what you meant in your post?
Thanks
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
So just to be clear, you were using a Dangerous DAC-ST with a Dangerous Monitor ST prior to buying the Convert 2. But once you bought the Convert 2 you no longer used the DAC-ST? Is that what you meant in your post?
Thanks
Correct, I also use a Burl DAC.
Old 3 weeks ago
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Correct, I also use a Burl DAC.
Ok.
Can you briefly describe what your thoughts are on the differences you find between the DAC-ST and the Convert 2?

Thanks.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search