The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve 1081 preamp clones?
Old 8th October 2005
Lives for gear

Neve 1081 preamp clones?

If not, Is there a preamp that comes close to a 1081 tonewise? What about the new ISA 110? Opinions please. Thanks
Old 8th October 2005
Gear Addict

Ive never used one but heard good thngs

http://www.mercenary.com/chltmicpr.html

or

http://www.mercenary.com/greatrivelmp.html
Old 8th October 2005
Lives for gear

the new neves do it right... don't know of anything else... the Shep SN8s are the heat, but more 1073ish with an extra mid EQ band
Old 8th October 2005
Lives for gear

Vintech makes an X81

http://www.vintech-audio.com/x81_info.html

I own an X73 which I think is a great mic pre and EQ. The EQ section on the X81 is a little more robust. Good Luck!
Old 22nd February 2011
Gear Head

Guess il bump this instead of asking the same Q

TNC ACMP-81 on ebay for $600 right now (edit looks like it has been modded) New! TNC PreAmplifier EQ Neve ACMP-81 Awesome 1081 - eBay (item 360339280974 end time Feb-24-11 17:57:01 PST)

Anyone have any experience with it?
Old 22nd February 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSkippy View Post
Good thinking!
Old 23rd February 2011
Lives for gear

The Vintech X81 is nice but not a Neve. I have a pair and love them but the EQ section does not have the smooth highs of the real deal. Mine are the first year Vintech and I know they made some changes but don't know if any where made to the EQ section.
Old 23rd February 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSkippy View Post

TNC ACMP-81 on ebay for $600 right now (edit looks like it has been modded) New! TNC PreAmplifier EQ Neve ACMP-81 Awesome 1081 - eBay (item 360339280974 end time Feb-24-11 17:57:01 PST)

Anyone have any experience with it?
Yes, I have two of them from a GS group buy. There is a design flaw that causes a bad hum in the EQ section. If the seller had them modded, they might be ok.
Old 3rd March 2011
Here for the gear

bump
Old 18th May 2012
Lives for gear

I want to bump this thread. I'm looking for the the whole thing but I really want it for the EQ section. Which one of the clones has a close enough eq to the original?
Old 18th May 2012
Here for the gear

Heritage Audio make 8173 that has 1073 pre and 1081 eq section and for a good price
Old 18th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroLover View Post
Heritage Audio make 8173 that has 1073 pre and 1081 eq section and for a good price
Thanks. Do you have to go through one of their distributors to find out the price? I don't see it on their web site.

I was looking at the chandler ltd1 and like it but I keep thinking that it's even out of my price range right now. I would really like to find an eq that would be the same but I understand the the preamp circuitry is what give it it's character. Thanks again.
Old 19th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroLover View Post
Sounds Interesting
Old 23rd December 2014
Also in the market for a 1081 clone. Looking into the Chameleon Labs 581. Can't seem to find the VintageDesign M581, do they still make it?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search