The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
mixing OTB, is a buss compressor mandatory? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 20th December 2009
Lives for gear

mixing OTB, is a buss compressor mandatory?

Hi slutz

whould you consider a stereo buss compressor mandatory on every mix?

I've seen great engineers that do use it and some that don't, and I've heard ME that don't like when they mixes they have to master arrive with compression on it

so, is it that necesary while mixing? or can we get a pro sounding mix without a stereo buss compressor?

thank u for your thoughts
Old 20th December 2009
Lives for gear

large subject!

i dont think it matters ITB vs OTB here, the ideas are the same,

really depends on so many things, but mainly your personal style

I use a many buss compressors, maybe 4 stereo groups into one master stereo buss, each with its own compressor. However sometimes there are none.

They also get used in different ways. for rock/pop/whatever it is a dynamic tool, but for a jazz trio in a concert hall it is more of a tone control for me.
btw. this is very general!

It is part of the mix for me, I would never take it off before sending it to mastering. As long as you dont squash the hell out of it and make it pump out of time, mastering engineers shouldn't have a problem
Old 20th December 2009
What ever sounds best and gets your mix where it needs to go, although it's certainly not always necessary or mandatory.

What ever is on the master buss of a mix is the intent of the mixer plain and simple. If there is a question of whether it serves the mix the best, you can always print a version with and without.

I don't think to many ME's would have a problem either way, as long as there is some headroom.
Old 20th December 2009
Here for the gear

CAN SOMEBODY TELL ME WHICH ONE GIVE ME THAT BIG SOUND A/D OR D/A Becuz i got people who come to my studio and let me hear they songs and its clear but it sond like its really sittin on its on tracks and it got a large ,open,clear sound i mean big sound and itts not mastered
Old 20th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonio Ruiz View Post
... and I've heard ME that don't like when they mixes they have to master arrive with compression on it
don't mix heavy 2buss-compressing/limiting with just little bit glue (1-3dB GR) most people use/understand as bus compressing
Old 20th December 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleedd View Post
CAN SOMEBODY TELL ME WHICH ONE GIVE ME THAT BIG SOUND A/D OR D/A Becuz i got people who come to my studio and let me hear they songs and its clear but it sond like its really sittin on its on tracks and it got a large ,open,clear sound i mean big sound and itts not mastered
A/D is what you are after man

seriously, buy any of these and you'll have that big sound!!!

Lavry Engineering - Unsurpassed Excellence
Old 20th December 2009
Lives for gear

yes, I understand that it should not be a hard compressing on a stereo master buss during a mix...

I'm just wondering if it would be a good idea or not that good idea to buy a API2500 for the job,

see, there was a time when we were mixing one of my bands record at Paramount Recording Studios, on a SSL 6k, and the master buss compressor was engaged by the mixing engineer who by the way is very good, and I was there co-producing, and I felt that the buss compressor wasn't exactly "gluing" things up, but actually sorta bringing the attack down, specially on drums, and the needle barely moved, it was a nice compressor setting, very light not hard at all,

maybe it was just me, but I liked the compressor off better...

and I've read here on GZ so many comments about the greatness of having a stereo buss compressor that... maybe I should give it another try
Old 20th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
I'm just wondering if it would be a good idea or not that good idea to buy a API2500 for the job,
It is an excellent idea¡¡¡¡. Buss compression is not mandatory but sometimes helps a lot.

API2500 is a great buss compressor¡¡¡¡
Old 20th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
see, there was a time when we were mixing one of my bands record at Paramount Recording Studios, on a SSL 6k, and the master buss compressor was engaged by the mixing engineer who by the way is very good, and I was there co-producing, and I felt that the buss compressor wasn't exactly "gluing" things up, but actually sorta bringing the attack down, specially on drums, and the needle barely moved, it was a nice compressor setting, very light not hard at all
U have to mix into it from the beginning of the mix and make sure your attack settings aren't too fast as to shave off the attack of the drums.

many folks don't use 2buss compression. back in the console, 1/2" days I never used a 2buss comp.
Old 20th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by konkaos View Post
U have to mix into it from the beginning of the mix and make sure your attack settings aren't too fast as to shave off the attack of the drums.

many folks don't use 2buss compression. back in the console, 1/2" days I never used a 2buss comp.
exactly... I remember the good old days...

I guess slow attack and a semi-fast release would sound nice for buss compressing, i love the "in your face" type of sound, specially on drums
Old 20th December 2009
mixing into it is key, for this reason I would also say that when it gets to mastering without buss compression, your mix can change, if you want the thing loud
Old 20th December 2009
Lives for gear

It depends on content and also home much buss compression you are doing (check out Michael Brauer's "Brauerizing" approach"

I mix with out a 2buss compressor every once in a while, but its a lot easier for me to get where I want to get with one.
Old 20th December 2009
Lives for gear

I agree you have to mix into it rather than tossing it on there for "some glue" once you think you have your mix close. I almost always mix into my 1968 right from the beginning. Nothing crazy though... just 1-2 db of reduction with a semi slow attack so the transients get through and a semi quick release.
Old 21st December 2009
Everyone knows that you will have skin problems and your hair will fall out if you don't use a bus compressor. But, since my hair is already falling out, I can afford to take the risk.

It seems to me that it's dependent on the genre, how much compression you've used individually on the tracks and busses already, and whether you feel the mix is gelled enough as is or needs more cohesion.

I don't have enough I/O to keep a hardware comp on the master bus during the mix, so it's at the end or not at all generally. So I've lately been in not at all mode, since it would have to be a plugin comp. So I tend to have the individual stuff compressed as much as they need to be, which I try to make not much at all most of the time.

Not that that's a reason not to buy a 2500 of course. I could always come up with something to justify that if I had the bucks. I hear that they help with digestion and remove free radicals from the air in the studio, so there you go. You now need one because it's a health issue.
Old 21st December 2009
Gear Guru

No.
Old 21st December 2009
Lives for gear

Re: the original post... Mix bus compression is not mandatory, and it wouldn't help or hurt an OTB mix any more than an ITB mix. The song and arrangement dictate what to do. I decide whether or not I'll use mix bus compression before I begin mixing. I agree with the other posters who recommend building the mix from the ground up with the compressor engaged (IF you're going to process the mix bus) rather than slapped on at the end. Otherwise the compressor may change your balances, especially in the low end.
Old 19th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioGuy1073 View Post
A/D is what you are after man

seriously, buy any of these and you'll have that big sound!!!

Lavry Engineering - Unsurpassed Excellence
Ten years later...
Just being curious. is that quintessence a plugin or real hardware ? is it recommended for recording hardware into, let's say, soundforge ? What does it add to the chain ?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search