The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
C12 Clones
Old 27th December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

there is absolutely no need to ever touch the diaphragm of a capsule, with or without gloves.
Old 16th January 2013
Here for the gear

The Korby C12 capsule sound great. They have a 251 capsule (basically a C12 with a slight variation on output bias or something) that also sound great. Worth the money.
Old 16th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Since this thread went domant Flea has come out with their own C12 clone, using Tim Campbell's capsule and what looks to be a correct or similar headbasket. I own two and love them, but haven't compared them to any version of the real thing.

-R
Old 17th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

FWIW I had a P12 for a long time and got a Flea trio a year ago (47, 249, 12). The Flea 12 is leagues above the P12 and what once was my best microphone now sounded like a thin, metallic sounding harsh mic... scary moment for me.

btw I don't have the F12 anymore, traded it for a matched second 249 and couldn't be happier - between those 3 microphones I liked the 12 the least. Lows were a bit boomy and highs a bit too detailed/loud (when compared to the usefullness of the other two microphones). I know a pair of 12's is a classic OH microphone but since this was a major investment for me I could see getting more return in a stereo pair of M49's - and the last year this has been proven to me, couldn't be happier!

Herwig
Old 17th January 2013
Gear Addict

Did anybody upgrade a Peluso P12's transformer?. I upgraded the tube and liked the result, also put a Tim's capsule and liked even more. I wonder if somebody changed the transformer or has an educated opinion about it.
Old 17th January 2013
Lives for gear

I think there is a c12 shootout against a blue bottle on different sources video some where on YouTube or blues site
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPoet View Post
FWIW I had a P12 for a long time and got a Flea trio a year ago (47, 249, 12). The Flea 12 is leagues above the P12 and what once was my best microphone now sounded like a thin, metallic sounding harsh mic... scary moment for me.

btw I don't have the F12 anymore, traded it for a matched second 249 and couldn't be happier - between those 3 microphones I liked the 12 the least. Lows were a bit boomy and highs a bit too detailed/loud (when compared to the usefullness of the other two microphones). I know a pair of 12's is a classic OH microphone but since this was a major investment for me I could see getting more return in a stereo pair of M49's - and the last year this has been proven to me, couldn't be happier!

Herwig
I also have the Flea 47 and 49, and actually prefer them as drum OHs to the 12 if you're trying to capture the whole kit. The 12 is great if you're just looking at cymbals. But for me the 12 absolutely rules on piano, top of Leslie, higher voiced singers and background vocals. Very nice on ac gtr and in fact anything where you need clean and smooth high end without a trace of spittiness or transient distortion.

All the Flea mics tend to have a sumptuous low end. One man's "boomy" is another man's "Rubenesque". But if you have a pro room and can get off the mics a bit you'll see they have a great reach and things size up nicely.

-R
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
But for me the 12 absolutely rules on piano,
Hi Rick,

I would be so much interested in listening comparative piano (not too closely miced) samples of the Flea 49 (which I have got a pair of and I love) and of the Flea 12...

Didier
Old 21st January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Unfortunately I only have 1 Flea 49, so I can't do this test. But I have used the Flea 47 and 49 on my piano with great results. Thicker than the 12's, as you would expect. My particular piano benefits from the scooped middle of the 12's as it sounds a little on the brassy/boxy side.

-R
Old 14th March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post

All the Flea mics tend to have a sumptuous low end. One man's "boomy" is another man's "Rubenesque". But if you have a pro room and can get off the mics a bit you'll see they have a great reach and things size up nicely.

-R
This is sage advice in evaluating any mic. It's a little enlightenment - when you use a mic and think of its sound and then realize its sound is also that of the room it's in.
Old 14th March 2013
I would love to try the flea 12 on piano
don't have a real one here.
Acoustic guitar is very sweet without eq.
Old 15th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

...got solder?...

Official C12 Clone - Build and Support Thread
Attached Thumbnails
C12 Clones-p1456850396-4.jpg   C12 Clones-p1456851426-4.jpg  
Old 16th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
Yeah!! I'm looking into this for sure...
Old 24th May 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
Wowee. Now I kinda feel silly for modifying Apex 460, but, they're probably pretty similar overall.
📝 Reply