The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NoNoise vs. DINR
Old 21st May 2003
  #1
Lives for gear
 
littledog's Avatar
 

NoNoise vs. DINR

In addition to all the other ways Digidesign is trying to bankrupt me, there is a current offer to DINR users to upgrade to a Sonic Solutions No Noise plug-in. (For "only" $1000 USD).

Just curious as to what people think of the No Noise vs. DINR quality and features.

Admittedly, I probably won't be doing this, as if i do enything at all it will probably be the MassivePack. My noise reduction requirements are pretty much limited to noisy guitar amps on occasion.
Old 21st May 2003
  #2
Lives for gear
 
C.Lambrechts's Avatar
 

I've never found DINR very usable. Whenever I 'realy' needed it it has not been able to provide me with a satisfying solution. No Noise works better.

Now on the question if it's worth 1.000$ my honest answer would have to be ... no ... not 1.000$ worth. But then again that's me and my milages probably vary a lot from people who 'need' stuff like that on a day to day basis. I don't ... not even for noisy guitar amps. Usually I try to live with them.
Old 25th May 2003
  #3
Gear Guru
 
jwh1192's Avatar
i did the demo on both sonicno-noise and waves restoration...the waves was a little easier to get it right faster...

the demos are , if i remember , 14 days or so..

peace john
Old 25th May 2003
  #4
Motown legend
 
Bob Olhsson's Avatar
 

I understand the high-end at this point is Cedar Retouch which runs on the Sadie platform. It has been described as "Photoshop for audio." Sonic No-Noise is getting pretty old which is probably why they released it as a plug-in. The WAVES product can do some pretty amazing things although both it and Sonic have often seemed to never do quite as much as I'd like.
Old 25th May 2003
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Roland's Avatar
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Olhsson
I understand the high-end at this point is Cedar Retouch which runs on the Sadie platform. It has been described as "Photoshop for audio." Sonic No-Noise is getting pretty old which is probably why they released it as a plug-in. The WAVES product can do some pretty amazing things although both it and Sonic have often seemed to never do quite as much as I'd like.
Sonic has always had quite a good reputation for its noise reduction suite. Cedar's own restoration products (both software and hardware) have generally always been considered to be amongst the best for this kind of work.

The Waves restoration bundle is quite good for its price. The algorythm they use is licensed from a company called Algorythmix who also make a product called Nova for the Pyramix system, this is similar to Cedars retouch in that it can interpolate sound data in order to remove extrenous noises (telephone rings, clicks, clonks etc.) though isn't designed for standard "noise" removal.

There is a new product comming out for Pyramix which is being billed as a major advance in sound restoration, I am looking forward to trying it out.

Regards


Roland
Old 26th May 2003
  #6
Lives for gear
 

Algorythmix has begun a partnership with Magix development for the Sequoia workstation. (Exclusive according to the press release on the Magix Samplitude/Sequoia website) NOVA is out already for Sequoia and is very cool. I've played with the demo when it was in beta, but I don't have the $$ for it yet. They have also introduced some other high-end restoration plugins and will be introducing a new EQ in the near future.

Nova basically works in a similar way to Retouch. You have a colored, graphic representation of a piece of audio. You can isolate any sound in it and interpolate from the surrounding audio. The cool thing about it is that you can isolate specific objectionable sounds and work on them rather than a broadband pass on your entire signal.

--Ben
Old 26th May 2003
  #7
Lives for gear
 
laser's Avatar
 

Nova basically works in a similar way to Retouch. You have a colored, graphic representation of a piece of audio. You can isolate any sound in it and interpolate from the surrounding audio. The cool thing about it is that you can isolate specific objectionable sounds and work on them rather than a broadband pass on your entire signal. *********************************************

Can the NOVA software isolate a sound and allow you to keep only that sound--say, for example, isolate a bass guitar throughout a song and throw away the rest of the instruments and vocals?

Laser
Old 26th May 2003
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Roland's Avatar
Quote:
Originally posted by laser


Can the NOVA software isolate a sound and allow you to keep only that sound--say, for example, isolate a bass guitar throughout a song and throw away the rest of the instruments and vocals?

Laser
No. It is purely for removing small imperfections like squeaks, clonk's, telephones, click's. It works very well, but the longer the length of sound the more difficult it is to remove.

If you require to remove general hiss and noise this isn't of any use to you and it is rather price at about $4500!

Algorythmix are not really involved with any exclusive deals. From what I can gather most of their business is licensing to people like Waves, Pyramix and by the sound of it Sequoia.

Regards


Roland
Old 26th May 2003
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally posted by Roland
If you require to remove general hiss and noise this isn't of any use to you and it is rather price at about $4500!

Algorythmix are not really involved with any exclusive deals. From what I can gather most of their business is licensing to people like Waves, Pyramix and by the sound of it Sequoia.

Wow $4500 for Pyramix... It is $3000 for Sequoia.

Anyways, I questioned the exclusive thing... The Magix and Algorythmix folks have been pushing the fact that the deal is "exclusive" but I knew that the Waves plugs were developed by Algorythmix. Is NOVA still available for Pyramix? Has it actually shipped? I'm wondering which algorythms are being used where. The Descratcher Pro plugin for Sequoia is over $1000, but if it is using the same algorythm as Waves, I'll get those at considerably less cost.

--Ben
Old 26th May 2003
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Roland's Avatar
Quote:
Originally posted by fifthcircle
Wow $4500 for Pyramix... It is $3000 for Sequoia.

Anyways, I questioned the exclusive thing... The Magix and Algorythmix folks have been pushing the fact that the deal is "exclusive" but I knew that the Waves plugs were developed by Algorythmix. Is NOVA still available for Pyramix? Has it actually shipped? I'm wondering which algorythms are being used where. The Descratcher Pro plugin for Sequoia is over $1000, but if it is using the same algorythm as Waves, I'll get those at considerably less cost.

--Ben
Its the same on Pyramix or at least to my ears, so I'm certain its the same on Sequoia. Save yourself the money and buy the Waves version, I think its about $1,000 for the whole noise reduction suite!

As for Nova, yes, I had a demo key not more than a month ago, in fact it has only just been introduced. There is also another noise reduction system going onto pyramix. Its semi automatic in nature, but supposed to blow away anything else out there.

There isn't a lot of call for noise reduction these days and the tools are usually quite expensive. Got to remove quite a few mobile phones to pay off the cost of Nova.

Regards


Roland
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump