The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
laChapell 583s
Old 16th December 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by api1608 View Post
Api 1608:
all input/return points are actively balanced (excepting instrument inputs) using API's 2520 and 2510 op amps, and all output/send points are transformer-balanced;
Stereo source - insert - Aux - aux to group bus - 2mix insert to Lavry Gold 2track. you have used 8 2520 and 8 transformer...
OK. I remember the days when we patched around transformers to avoid them....hehheh I guess I'm old.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
strange... I always find way more low mid, thick, girth in Neves but they probaby do have a bit more top than the API as well. personally I find NEVE recorded tracks to be a blessing to mix. Horses for courses The API's have no top or bottom. they are all mids.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by api1608 View Post

Avedis make Opamp 1120 that is more hifi, more trasparent and with cristal top end
Api 2520 opamp has more thickness in the mids and lower mids

Obviously here we have also Neve's
Often in tracking A/Bing Api/Neve initially we prefer Neve, more presence, more top end; an instant beauty, but then we dicover that if we exceed in tracking with Neve, we have in mixing a collection of single-amazing tracks that don't sit well together.
So in tracking we choice some tracks we want Nevish in mixing, but all we track with api sit always amazing in mix, you can boost,cut, always we can manipulate sound.
Then,yes, a console is such a different thing... You can tracking and sound flows through 8-10 transformer and 8-10 Opamp, before it arrives to recorder...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
OK. I remember the days when we patched around transformers to avoid them....hehheh I guess I'm old.
heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm View Post
Horses for courses The API's have no top or bottom. they are all mids.....
I'm with you. Love API (well, BAE's version of them) on certain courses. But it's a rare instance. Just moving towards the Neve sorta thing.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
For those who "kind of like API's", but have a hard time with them and like the thicker Neve sound better, I'd suggest checking out the CAPI VP-26's. They are rounder up top, smoother, better with Digital IMO. I'm absolutely loving them. Got rid of my 512C's and replaced them with the VP's. Kept my 512B's though.
Old 10th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
the word "fad" springs to mind here....just like hot pink sunglasses and fleuro nike sneakers i see some kids cruising around in like its the hippest novel trend that no one has ever seen before....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
anyone tried these one synths?????
Lives for gear

16 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbianco View Post
i have tried synths on 583 and it's not my 1st choice or 2nd for that matter. i prefer neve or older tube pre that breaks up in a more pleasing way.
Old 12th March 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbianco View Post
It probably depends on the synth sound you're working with but when using the Hi-z input, the signal goes strait to the grid of the tube bypassing the input transformer. It's a great way to capture some pure 12AX7 distortion if you drive the input pots hard enough. Again, this distortion will be more "saw-tooth" sounding than the 992 for sure.

If you're looking for something more clean with the 583, start with the input pots at about 9~10 o'clock and dial in the rest of the required gain with the output pot... plenty of headroom and low THD with these settings...
Old 13th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've got two spaces in my Lunchbox that would look really nice holding a 583e. I have a number of flavors of preamps, including Aurora, Pacifica, API, ISA, Buzz. If I wanted to add another that had a decidedly different flavorβ€”such as toobβ€”from all of these, would this pre fit the bill?

(Subjective, I know, but that's what GS is all about!)
Old 26th May 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

16 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I'm selling a 583s in MINT condition if anyone is interested.
PM me.
Old 9th November 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
...just made a black face one; special order for a client in Nashville... i think I like it

Hmm... for some reason I can't attach the pic... oh well.
Old 11th November 2011 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott LaChapell View Post
...just made a black face one; special order for a client in Nashville... i think I like it

Hmm... for some reason I can't attach the pic... oh well.
i want pics!!!!!
heh
well maybe not?

yea!
well,,,?

man this is just going to cost me money, i can see it now: )~
hehheh
Old 11th November 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Hey Pan-man... here's a link. Not sure why the picture posts @ 90deg.

LaChapell black face...
Old 14th June 2016 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Would anyone mind commenting on how the DI sounds with guitar/bass?
Cheers
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkervin View Post
Would anyone mind commenting on how the DI sounds with guitar/bass?
Cheers
Can't comment on guitar but it is up at the top of my list for bass.

Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen View Post

Awesome, thanks!!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
How broad a range of sound can you get with the DI on this, especially if you drive the front end fairly hard compared to looking for a really clean sound?

And if you're using the 583e. what about the EQ? Obviously it's not tailored to bass guitar, but how useful is it for just gentle, overall EQ duties?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter k View Post
How broad a range of sound can you get with the DI on this, especially if you drive the front end fairly hard compared to looking for a really clean sound?

And if you're using the 583e. what about the EQ? Obviously it's not tailored to bass guitar, but how useful is it for just gentle, overall EQ duties?
I liked the sound right from the beginning, including EQ, but never fully realized the extent of it's capabilities because I ended up selling to get other 500 preamps.

At that time I was using 500 modules like baseball cards so I could try as many as possible and then decide which to keep. I tried so many. Vintech, Great River, Purple, Buzz, API, Avedis, Shadow Hills, Apex,Heritage, BAE, Neve, A-Design, AML, CAPI ...list goes on and on.

And I still recall the 583 as up at the top for a good, solid and clean bass DI. I use my Demeter tube DI to try other preamps for bass but back then there weren't too many with the HI-Z and it was such a pleasure to be able to plug and play. Add an LA2A or 1176 and wow even more!

Wish I could be of more help specific to your question.

Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I liked the sound right from the beginning, including EQ, but never fully realized the extent of it's capabilities because I ended up selling to get other 500 preamps. ...

Wish I could be of more help specific to your question.
No worries. Still better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Thanks!
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:

At that time I was using 500 modules like baseball cards so I could try as many as possible and then decide which to keep. I tried so many. Vintech, Great River, Purple, Buzz, API, Avedis, Shadow Hills, Apex,Heritage, BAE, Neve, A-Design, AML, CAPI ...list goes on and on.

And I still recall the 583 as up at the top for a good, solid and clean bass DI. I use my Demeter tube DI to try other preamps for bass but back then there weren't too many with the HI-Z and it was such a pleasure to be able to plug and play. Add an LA2A or 1176 and wow even more!

Haha like baseball cards - that's awesome.

Just out of curiosity, and not to derail the thread, but which did you decide to keep?

I'm going to really have to try one of these out. I've been trying a bunch of 500 series pres lately (for guitar&bass DI) and really want to hear this one...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:

Just out of curiosity, and not to derail the thread, but which did you decide to keep?
Pairs: AML ez1073, CAPI VP28, CAPI Missing Link, Hairball LOLA, Eisen Lilpeqr, JLM LA500A, DBX 560A

Singles:DBX 520 De-Esser and an ancient Apex EQF2.

I am still trying out other things for 4 empty slots.

Old 23rd June 2016 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
So based on has-been's recommendation, I picked one of the 583S MKII's up so I could try out the DI. I've just plugged my guitar into it and I absolutely LOVE it. Fantastic tone, and really what I've been looking for. I haven't even tried it out on bass yet, but it has a permanent spot in my lunchbox right next to my Juggernaut.

Cheers!!
Old 23rd June 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I just add that mine has a Telefunken nos tube and it kills on vocal and bass
I like the 583 on bass better than my 992 eg which is a a great pre
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmade View Post
I just add that mine has a Telefunken nos tube and it kills on vocal and bass
I like the 583 on bass better than my 992 eg which is a a great pre
Did you install the tube yourself? Easy to do? Is it noticeably better than the original? Thanks!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Did you install the tube yourself? Easy to do? Is it noticeably better than the original? Thanks!
Yes installed myself And I thought it tightened up the bottom just a little and over all a little more warmth jmo I think the tube swap was definitely worth it but that being said it doesn't suck out the box either
If you call Scott Lachapell you might be able to buy a tube from him at one time he had a few but that was a while ago
πŸ“ Reply