The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ribbon mic for violin Ribbon Microphones
Old 7th December 2009
Gear Maniac

I've done a bunch of work with Aisha (violin) from Balmorhea. Probably 4 or 5 records now. I've used KM84's, U67's, M160's, all with decent results. However, the other night we were doing a quick violin overdub before printing a final mix, and the Coles 4038 was the closest thing on a stand. I put it up a couple feet away from her, plugged in to an API312, and it sounded absolutely beautiful! Everyone in the control room loved it. In this case, no EQ was needed whatsoever. It was a fairly quiet passage.
Old 7th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Cool--haven't heard of that one. Thanks Jake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Dempsey View Post
I have 2 Peluso R14s and one SR14 (stereo r14). The R14 is my go-to for violin/fiddle. Smooth top end, pleasing mid response. It's pretty "vintage" sounding without being too dark. John Peluso modeled it after the RCA 44, believe. I've never used a 44 so I don't have any frame of reference for a comparison. I do know that the R14 sounds damn good. I use them on guitar cabs, drum OH, vocals, acoustic guitar, (GREAT rejection from the null spot when recording vocal/guitar together. Great in a MS setup.) FOK drum room, flute, upright bass, you name it. They are awesome. No, I do not work for Peluso. . Good price at about $800 street value too. I recommend this mic enthusiastically to anyone asking about ribbons. Pairs very well with the UA 610, Pacifica, and API 512c.
Old 8th December 2009
Old 8th December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Zero View Post
Check this video from George Massenberg's studio. R84 on violin.
YouTube - Mother's Child - Dawn
I watch this video about once or twice a month. Keeps me going in this crazy biz...
Old 8th December 2009
Gear Maniac

So, I've got the R84 coming in a few days. I'll report back when I get it. Got a price I couldn't refuse on a new one. Can't wait!

That's a great wee video for sure. It's great to see them all in the vibe and playing together. I mean, I'm sure it's a great room, but also sure that some producers would still insist that they all parked themselves in other rooms away from each other for maximum control.
Old 8th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorfish View Post
So, I've got the R84 coming in a few days. I'll report back when I get it. Got a price I couldn't refuse on a new one. Can't wait!
Good plan, you'll love it! Match with a high impedance preamp to suck the best out of it (eg AEA's own TRP).

OT: I nearly got a place in the Hebrides couple years ago.... very beautiful and the best sailing in the world!
Did you work with Nigel Hitchcock on any sessions when he lived up there? Incredible sax player....
Old 8th December 2009
Gear Maniac

I'd love to invest in a new preamp, but I'm buying the biggest piece of gear I'll ever buy... my house! I've got a Pacifica, a 1073DPD and a DAV. I'm reckoning that the 1073 will be the best of that lot for the R84. You think?

The Hebrides are beautiful, great sailing for sure. Surfing is pretty good too. I've never worked with Nigel Hitchcock although I've heard his name. Where did he stay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by divingduck View Post
Good plan, you'll love it! Match with a high impedance preamp to suck the best out of it (eg AEA's own TRP).

OT: I nearly got a place in the Hebrides couple years ago.... very beautiful and the best sailing in the world!
Did you work with Nigel Hitchcock on any sessions when he lived up there? Incredible sax player....
Old 8th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I'm reckoning that the 1073 will be the best of that lot for the R84. You think?
Can be difficult to predict with a passive ribbon. I tend to go for a high in-Z pres with my R84s.

Petter
Old 8th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've got a Pacifica, a 1073DPD and a DAV. I'm reckoning that the 1073 will be the best of that lot for the R84. You think?
Depends on what you're recording and what you're looking for. I use my R84 with my Aurora when I want the additional color of the pre, but on pure-voiced angelic female voices I generally prefer a more transparent pre like my Buzz MA-2.2 or even an ISA428. It might sound great through the DAV. Try 'em all!
Old 8th December 2009
Lives for gear

The pacifica does a great job with ribbons.
Old 9th December 2009
Lives for gear

Here's some r84 stuff

http://www.opus-harmonious.com/Music...le%20fille.mp3

This is an entire band recorded live with 2 r84's - in Blumlein - in my studio. You'll note the sound of the violin gives a good example of what the r84 sounds like. This is an unmastered mix. I did have a spot mic on the accordion (e49) and the acoustic guitar (cmc6-mk21). The r84's were recorded through an AEA rpq preamp, flat, to prism converters. t.
Old 9th December 2009
Gear Maniac

That is a lovely sounding track. Thanks for putting it up! You definitely get a flavour for the mic. Cheers
Old 9th December 2009
Lives for gear

With the risk of making a fool of myself My story :

I recorded violin once with a modded Oktava MK-319 and an SE Reflexion screen. After the recording I noticed that my assistent mounted the MK the wrong way, turned with the front towards the Reflexion screen !!! I left the recording like that because everyone that listened found it very smooth and warm sounding !! heh

Peter.
Old 15th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Zero View Post
Check this video from George Massenberg's studio. R84 on violin.
YouTube - Mother's Child - Dawn
That is an AWESOME performance and recording. heh
Old 15th December 2009
Lives for gear

Fiddle sound R84
Violin sound a pair of Senn MK800s
Cheers,
Pupo
Old 19th May 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
the new shure ribbons should be considered for classical
the cleanest ribbon I've heard by a long shot actually not even a fight
Do they use a newer ribbon material? not sure but smothing new is up
with those mics

If you want grit any of the old school one will work
I like m160 price is right very smooth on violin
but not super clean.
I recently purchased a Triton Audio Fethead for use with my M160. Result= a super clean M160. More details at Zenproaudio. (I'm not affiliated with that company; just a happy customer.)
Old 19th May 2010
in order of preference for violin
  • AEA R84
  • Royer 121
  • Peluso R14
Old 19th May 2010
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by geister View Post
I recently purchased a Triton Audio Fethead for use with my M160. Result= a super clean M160. More details at Zenproaudio. (I'm not affiliated with that company; just a happy customer.)
We actually bundle the R84 with the Triton Fethead for an active R84 right outta the box.

War
Old 19th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm looking at getting one good ribbon for mainly violin/fiddle. I've got some nice condensers, but I'm looking for a smooth, vintage sound (not too dark though). Anybody have preferences between the Coles 4038/4040, the Royer 121 or the Beyer M160?

I live on a remote island (if only it was a warm one!) so opportunities for shootouts are limited.

Cheers, W
the 4040 sounds simply amazing on violin. The Beyers do too..the Beyers are a touch brighter, so I like using them on Cello/Bass. The 4040s have a round, smooth, euphonic character that does something really special on violins..

Not a fan of the 4038..The 4040 dwarfs it in every respect, in my opinion.

4040 examples here

http://www.douglaswhates.com/misc/ko..._coles4040.mp3

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/335716-post27.html
Old 19th May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Ray View Post
The 4040s have a round, smooth, euphonic character that does something really special on violins..Not a fan of the 4038..The 4040 dwarfs it in every respect, in my opinion.
I agree with everything expect for the sibling rivalry. Though I agree the 4040 for this application is a better choice. Although, who's to say on which day, hey, hey, hey. The 4038 is a brother from another mother.
Old 20th May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschelfh View Post
With the risk of making a fool of myself My story :

I recorded violin once with a modded Oktava MK-319 and an SE Reflexion screen. After the recording I noticed that my assistent mounted the MK the wrong way, turned with the front towards the Reflexion screen !!! I left the recording like that because everyone that listened found it very smooth and warm sounding !! heh

Peter.
a happy accident? i love it when stuff like this happens.
Old 20th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpupo74 View Post
Fiddle sound R84
Violin sound a pair of Senn MK800s
+1 on the pair of Senn MKH800s.

But on the ribbon subject, Royer 121 is really sexy on violin! (and cello, and piano, and...)

all the best,
ave.
Old 28th February 2017
Here for the gear

My favorite is the RCA varacoustic. The RCA paintbrush is a go to as well. It sparkles a little more on the top end. The peluso r14 is good. It's a little more modern sounding. I have tracked with a royer 121. I wish it was a little warmer. I just got a RCA sk46. It's on it's way back from Sank. It will be nice to see what it sounds like. I think it will work well on mandolin. The RCA 77dx is good but not my favorite. I never use my beyer m160s. To me they are a bit glassy for my taste. I would to try a Coles or a Royer 122v.
Old 28th February 2017
Gear Nut

Check out the royer SF-2
quite special - amazing isolation considering it's fig 8
Also, I've had great success with the RCA 44- big and rich

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search