The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Console Manuals (and schematics) for all !!!??!!...(a database)
Old 19th May 2003
Gear Addict

Console Manuals (and schematics) for all !!!??!!...(a database)

i am working on building (the the best possible degree) a complete set of console manuals ans schematics. these will be in PDF format. (as hardcopies would need a small library!). the current focus is on modern (still in production, or just out of production).

once i have filled that space up, i will be moving further back in time. (having a full compliment of vintage console manuals and schematic would kick butt!)

i will be working in conjunction with Dave Chen from http://www.recordingconsoles.net which is a pretty cool site in itself. eventually he will find some way of hosting all of the files so that we may redily download them.

This will be a great resource for newbies and veterans alike of the recording industry as well as for others too.
How many times have you had a call for a gig in a studio with a console that you were not all that familiar with? did you turn the gig down fearing you would mess the gig up? or did you take the gig and stumble through it, wishing you knew more about the console?
how about pure love of knowledge? personally, i devour manuals to anything i can get one of.

i am asking of all out there. if you have any manuals/schematics for consoles (and outboard gear too... my next manual project) in PDF, please let me know which they are. if still needed, i will let you know.
i can be reached at [email protected].
please dont just send the manuals. this is my personal email, and i dont have the storage space. if a manual is needed i will supply you with the email for that.

So...! what do you all think of this..?? good plan??
Old 19th May 2003
Lives for gear

good idea good luck
Old 19th May 2003
Lives for gear

one of the coolest sites I've seen lately

Old 20th May 2003
Gear Nut

A great idea!

Unfortunately, the thought of the amount of time it would take to scan in all the pages from the Operation Manual, the Engineers Drawings & the Automation Manual fills me with dread .

Although if there were other users out there to share the load it wouldn't be so bad I guess.

And it would help if they went missing/destroyed by fire!!
Old 20th May 2003
Lives for gear

This is an excellent idea.. I'll see what i can do in the Neve department. But it will be an ordeal and a LOT of webspace to upload and host the data. Even in .PDF or Jpeg its a lot of space.. all be it well worth it.

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 20th May 2003
Gear Addict

m is for manual , thats good enough for me....

the web space should not be a problem.
i also got an email from someone on the RO forum, a similar project is under way there, so we will be combining forces on this one!!!! woo hoo.

Yes PDFs (preferable) do and will take up a bit of space.
but its well worth it.
and yes scanning page after page would be an arduous task, but again. well worth it, and since i think that a lot of people are interested in this (i have posted on many forums, and gotten lots of emails) the work load is going to be spread out fairly well.

Personally i will be one of the main collectors. People will send me their copies, and i will store them until hosting space is available. of course i will also be doing a fair bit of manual hunting myself.

Old 12th July 2004
Gear Maniac

I can't seem to find this manuals section. Is it on the recordingconsoles website? Thanks.
Old 12th July 2004
Lives for gear

I'd love to have a copy of a lot of them....please post a link to the site or files when completed.

Personally I think this is one of the greatest thing's since sliced mackie consoles....
Old 12th July 2004
Gear Maniac

Good Idea!!
I like to see those schematics heh
Old 12th July 2004
I will be happy to put up a permanent link to it in our links section once it it up and running.

Jules
Gearslutz.com admin

Old 12th July 2004
Lives for gear

Is there some copyright issue here. I mean not all schematics are public domain like Pultec ...

I'll be willing to help if I can though, it's a good idea

malice
Old 12th July 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by malice
Is there some copyright issue here. I mean not all schematics are public domain like Pultec ...

I'll be willing to help if I can though, it's a good idea

malice

Beringher said Mackie's schematics are free for the taking.............................
Old 12th July 2004
Gear Nut

Copyright and stuff

I reckon there IS a copyrights issue at stake. You'll need a written authorisation from the manufacturers.

IIRC, SSL already have quite a few of their manuals and other docs in pdf format. Other formats can usually be easily transferred to pdf with Acrobat.

Great idea, useful endeavour. Mammoth task to get your tusks into though

"How does one eat an elephant? One bite at the time". In this case, I'd be tempted to write "byte".

Enough playing with words, I'd better go back and make some shavings...
Old 12th July 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by djui5
Beringher said Mackie's schematics are free for the taking.............................
LMFAO

heh

malice
Old 12th July 2004
Lives for gear

Here's a link to a bunch of various PDF manuals that someone had posted over @ TapeOp.com.

http://classes.berklee.edu/mpe/pdf_files/manuals_pdf/

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search