The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why doesn't anyone make this?... Monitor Controllers
Old 4th December 2009
  #61
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidespinosa View Post
Michael -- The MR816 CSX looks nice. DSP plus more attention to ZLM plus two HP outs could make it ergonomically better than the FF800. I'll look in more detail later. But I'm reluctant to give up those RME drivers! And we would prefer analog if possible.

Sqye -- The Redcloud is tiny and fits in the back of the rack. It provides input trim for the D-Box inputs, which we may not even need. We would need a stereo attenuator between the DAW and the D-Box, but that also fits in the back of the rack. And we'd need a TRS to DB-25 patchbay for the inputs, which also fits in the back. So it's an extremely good solution.
.

Cool, muchacho! Muchas gracias, and talk to you later!
thumbsup

.
Old 4th December 2009
  #62
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidespinosa View Post
I thought I was preaching to choir, but it turns out I'm preaching to the POPE !
.

Indeed, David...you, UBK, Brad, Natpub, and several other slutz here have nailed it...

This is indeed the oh-so-basic 'recordist' requisite, these days...

...especially, for the perform/record/produce/engineer/mix folks most of us have become...stike

.
Old 4th December 2009
  #63
Lives for gear
 
Fishmed's Avatar
I know you do not want a mixer... but would the Mackie Onyx 820i work?

The mute button can be used to switch between 1/2 & 3/4 outputs.

(I am on a quest now )
Old 4th December 2009
  #64
Gear Nut
 

Yes, I totally agree with wanting a tactile working enviroment, hence I use a Midas Venice 160 to do all that Sqye wants to do and more, but he didn't seem to want to go in the mixer direction. Can and have used software (metric halo and rme) to get the headphone mixes etc, but switching screens and toggling windows isn't at all enjoyable. There's been a few comments re the Midas' routability, but I've never had problems. Can be rack mounted too if space is an issue. In combination with a uln2 and dav preamps, it's quite a decent cheap rig.
Old 4th December 2009
  #65
.

Hey, Fishmed.

The funny thing is, there are a million threads on Gearslutz - and many other web forums - RIGHT NOW...with guys just like us trying to find exactly this solution.

It's a plain as day problem.

Unless you get someone to build you a custom box - you're going to be splitting, and patching, and subbing out to monitoring...etc., etc.

...There is just no basic 1 box DAW I/O with selectable I & O and mixable ZLM monitoring...
stike

The best you can do, currently - is multiple boxes.

After that, it's splitting, patchbays, mutiple I/O and summing boxes, and on and on.

...(and much of which, is simply unecessary HW and I/O for today's user)...

Sometimes I wonder if gear designers ACTULLY USE THE STUFF THEY BUILD...

Because if they DID, if they ACTUALLY sat down in the studio today to record, monitor and mix material on their DAW, there's likely not one designer/user here who would not benefit from the simplicity of this imaginary box we're talking about.



AS PROOF: just look at the "Dangerous D-Box To...?" thread that just went up...yet, another one!

.
Old 4th December 2009
  #66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songcatcher View Post
Yes, I totally agree with wanting a tactile working enviroment, hence I use a Midas Venice 160 to do all that Sqye wants to do and more, but he didn't seem to want to go in the mixer direction. Can and have used software (metric halo and rme) to get the headphone mixes etc, but switching screens and toggling windows isn't at all enjoyable. There's been a few comments re the Midas' routability, but I've never had problems. Can be rack mounted too if space is an issue. In combination with a uln2 and dav preamps, it's quite a decent cheap rig.
.

Thanks, Songcatcher! Much appreciated. thumbsup

But, yes - I'm trying to avoid more HW real estate. That's so last millenium...

.
Old 4th December 2009
  #67
Lives for gear
 
McPhaul's Avatar
I keep reading this hoping that someone will have a solution in hand. I am a FF800 user and have it racked with a patchbay, Furman HDS-6 and Central Station to give me the I/Os that you're looking for.

The only thing that really bothers me with the setup isn't the 4 spaces but is the lack of physical control in the FF800s routing. Like a few others here I would really prefer to have a physical interface. I'm really thinking about moving to a small console to allow the routing options I want, but the box you're talking about might mean I wouldn't have to go that way.

Will
Old 4th December 2009
  #68
An ATI 8xM2 with a Shure expander or Aurora Audio aux box.

Or an Aurora Audio mini mixer or Speck Xtramix. Its not one rack space and its not cheap.
Old 4th December 2009
  #69
Quote:
Originally Posted by McPhaul View Post
I keep reading this hoping that someone will have a solution in hand. I am a FF800 user and have it racked with a patchbay, Furman HDS-6 and Central Station to give me the I/Os that you're looking for.

The only thing that really bothers me with the setup isn't the 4 spaces but is the lack of physical control in the FF800s routing. Like a few others here I would really prefer to have a physical interface. I'm really thinking about moving to a small console to allow the routing options I want, but the box you're talking about might mean I wouldn't have to go that way.

Will
.

Again, EXACTLY!...can you even imagine how many others here are in virtually the same boat?

...Can you say, EVERYONE!?...

.
Old 4th December 2009
  #70
Gear Nut
 

Last millenium? ( I say typing on my iPhone ) I guess that shows my age group, a well laid out mixer with sliders, knobs and great metering is perfect for me, and with enough room to get your fingers around. The beauty of a well designed mixer is the options that allow for changes to your ever changing workflow Real estate can be a real benefit when used well.

Good luck with your search......Denis
Old 4th December 2009
  #71
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
An ATI 8xM2 with a Shure expander or Aurora Audio aux box.

Or an Aurora Audio mini mixer or Speck Xtramix. Its not one rack space and its not cheap.
.

Yeah, thanks, Thrill.

To get all the required functionality here in even 2RU would be a blessing!

Cheers, man!


.
Old 4th December 2009
  #72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songcatcher View Post
Last millenium? ( I say typing on my iPhone ) I guess that shows my age group, a well laid out mixer with sliders, knobs and great metering is perfect for me, and with enough room to get your fingers around. The beauty of a well designed mixer is the options that allow for changes to your ever changing workflow Real estate can be a real benefit when used well.

Good luck with your search......Denis
.

heh...I totally hear you, man!..Nothin' like a good mixer...just not what I'm looking for here...Again, thanks for your input!...I've got a lifetime's worth of mixers in me...

And, again - we're not talking about anything most users here couldn't use...

I mean, hey - if I'm doomed to FF + Redcloud + volume attentuator + patchbay....so be it...

Maybe I should install an extra power-grid and some more outbuildings, while I'm at it...

...over 2,500 views - do we have a box?....do we have a box?

This IS Gearslutz, is it not??....I mean HELLOO??!!...Is this thing on...??!!?...

...(ok, I'll shut up now...heh )

.
Old 4th December 2009
  #73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post
.

Yeah, thanks, Thrill.

To get all the required functionality here in even 2RU would be a blessing!

Cheers, man!


.
The ATI is one rack space. The Shure Axpander is 3 and the Aurora aux box is only 2 .

So max rack space is either 3-4. If you really need 2 spaces than get someone to build an aux distribution box in one rack space in the way the shure Auxpander works.
Old 4th December 2009
  #74
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
The ATI is one rack space. The Shure xpander is 3 and the Aurora aux box is only 2 .

So max rack space is either 3-4. If you really need 2 spaces than get someone to build an aux distribution box in one rack space in the way the shure xpander works.
.

+1...Thrill...Again, thanks, man...thumbsup....[breaks out power saw, hammer and chisels in garage]...

I was hoping for 1RU...heh...is this truly impossible?

.
Old 4th December 2009
  #75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post
.

+1...Thrill...Again, thanks, man...thumbsup....[breaks out power saw, hammer and chisels in garage]...

I was hoping for 1RU...heh...is this truly impossible?

.
1 rack space is going to be a stretch unfortunately.

The problem is getting the monitor section and auxes all in one. There is only so much real estate in one rack space.
Old 4th December 2009
  #76
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
1 rack space is going to be a stretch unfortunately.

The problem is getting the monitor section and auxes all in one. There is only so much real estate in one rack space.
.

Yes, that's what we're figuring...still, by demanding 1RU, maybe we'll get 2RU...heh

...Of course, we could make it a TT unit......[to be clear, I AM joking...]

.
Old 4th December 2009
  #77
Gear Nut
 

One rack space? Ok, Ff400 in half a space, rotary input selector and mix/input blend knob and rotary output selector can go in a half rack box too, there you are.
Old 4th December 2009
  #78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songcatcher View Post
One rack space? Ok, Ff400 in half a space, rotary input selector and mix/input blend knob and rotary output selector can go in a half rack box too, there you are.
.

badda-bing, badda-boom!...thumbsup...it's not analog, but...Let's see what David says...

You guys are the best!


.
Old 4th December 2009
  #79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post
.

Yes, that's what we're figuring...still, by demanding 1RU, maybe we'll get 2RU...heh

...Of course, we could make it a TT unit......[to be clear, I AM joking...]

.
i know 3RU is out of the question but the Aurora Audio GTM-822 really does have everything you need. It has DI outs you will need for the mic pres, it has 2 auxes for the monitoring, it has the 2 monitor outs plus headphone out.
Old 5th December 2009
  #80
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
i know 3RU is out of the question but the Aurora Audio GTM-822 really does have everything you need. It has DI outs you will need for the mic pres, it has 2 auxes for the monitoring, it has the 2 monitor outs plus headphone out.
.

Thanks, so much, Thrill! We'll definitely check it out. Hey, you never know! I know Geoff makes killer gear!

Cheers, man!
thumbsup

.
Old 5th December 2009
  #81
Gear Guru
 
u b k's Avatar
 

Do you guys really not mind your volume knob being in a rack?

That would drive me friggin' *nuts*.


Gregory Scott - ubk
.
Old 5th December 2009
  #82
Lives for gear
 
BradM's Avatar
Yeah I would think for a monitor controller / ZLM kind of thing it would make more ergonomic sense to have a desktop unit.

Brad
Old 5th December 2009
  #83
.

Well, I think first and foremost comes functionality.

If it's more more ergonomic as a desktop unit, that's certainly fine.

I'm completely open to that, as well!

...It might get a little hairy with cabling, but so be it.

I do agree that it's nice to have the master VK and I/O selector buttons on the desktop ...



.
Old 5th December 2009
  #84
Lives for gear
 
nofi's Avatar
 

2 part system!

1u rack does all the work with no interface, small desktop unit gives all the control, and then link them with 1 small cable....

(hmm.. is the Fireface matrix mixer automatable via MIDI??)
Old 5th December 2009
  #85
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofi View Post
2 part system!

1u rack does all the work with no interface, small desktop unit gives all the control, and then link them with 1 small cable....

(hmm.. is the Fireface matrix mixer automatable via MIDI??)
.

Sounds potentially intriguing...

.
Old 5th December 2009
  #86
Gear Head
 

Aurora aux box ?

Thrill -- Thanks for the info. I found the GTM-822, but I couldn't find the Aurora aux box. Godda link ?

I see we're finally in the high end:
Speck Xtra mix $4200
Aurora GTM-822 $6500
(But: Speck X-Sum $1650)

Nofi -- I believe the Fireface *is* MIDI-automatable.

Songcatcher -- I think Sqye meant 1RU in addition to the FF800. But that's really aggressive of you to do it all in 1RU total with the FF400. Why not?

David
Old 5th December 2009
  #87
.

Thanks, guys. We're rockin'...

.
Old 5th December 2009
  #88
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofi View Post
2 part system!

1u rack does all the work with no interface, small desktop unit gives all the control, and then link them with 1 small cable....

(hmm.. is the Fireface matrix mixer automatable via MIDI??)
.

The answer to your MIDI question is yes.

In addition, RME's Total Mix sw is compatible with Mackie Control Protocol.

RME's MIDI control is actually fairly extensive - and useful in a variety of different modes:
such as MIDI remote control, Simple MIDI control and Stand-alone MIDI control, etc.

thumbsup

.
Old 5th December 2009
  #89
Gear Nut
 

The half rack idea was really just a joke, has it's merrits though. A while back when trying to get low latentcy tracking with a 002 I bought a twin track pro, it worked ok but wasn't very good quality wise. The best feature was the blending ability of mix/input signals, for the lone musician it worked. Moved to a ULN2 so latency was no longer an issue. Those boxes shift you into a world where anything is possible, albeit in software. Looked up the aurora rack mentioned, how well thought out is that, simply brilliant. Expect such quality comes at a price, but this isn't a cheap hobby. I guess in the end the question has been answered, someone does make the ultimate box to track multiple inputs to multiple outs in analogue format that fits in a rack.
Old 5th December 2009
  #90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songcatcher View Post
The half rack idea was really just a joke, has it's merrits though. A while back when trying to get low latentcy tracking with a 002 I bought a twin track pro, it worked ok but wasn't very good quality wise. The best feature was the blending ability of mix/input signals, for the lone musician it worked. Moved to a ULN2 so latency was no longer an issue. Those boxes shift you into a world where anything is possible, albeit in software. Looked up the aurora rack mentioned, how well thought out is that, simply brilliant. Expect such quality comes at a price, but this isn't a cheap hobby. I guess in the end the question has been answered, someone does make the ultimate box to track multiple inputs to multiple outs in analogue format that fits in a rack.
.

+1 thumbsup

$6500 - and custom order.

That's what you get for posting in High End...heh

Thanks, man!...Well done!...I guess we can close the thread now...

...Still doesn't have enough [selectable] inputs, though...need some kind of front end box/patchbay...

.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Matt Grondin / So much gear, so little time
5

Forum Jump
Forum Jump