The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Greatest Stereo Compressors Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

I'd go simple and buy two distressors with british and link mod's. A must have ?!? IMO, yes!!
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

Tube Tech CL-2A or SMC 2B. Love the tubies
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

When it comes to stereo imaging, my Foote Control Systems P3500S really lays waste to my pair of Distressors.
Old 7th December 2009
CharterOak SCL-1
Pendulum Audio
API 2500
tk BC-1 (sorry.. it's not highend if you look at the price-tag)

and many more..
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear
some that haven't been mentioned are TSL-3 and Zener, but they may not fit the bill for 'most versatile' as per the OP.

geat and versatile could be GML8900 imo.
Old 7th December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Had the STC-8 here for about 8 months, and I am still figuring it out - so much flexibility and awesome sound. Well worth investigating.
I found the STC-8 To be a great clean compressor. Fir any other needs I would look at other compressors.
Old 17th December 2009
Lives for gear

The DBX 160SL is by no means a lowend piece. It might seem like one though for people with little experience or talent regarding compression (it shares this fate with the Avalon 747 comp section) and guys who never took the time to really "learn" the 160sl. It has a steeper learning curve than many other compressors, but as soon as you figured it out this box works on many sources with fantastic results, vocals, drums, bass come to mind, subgroups and even 2buss.
The good thing about the GS bashing is that the used prices are so ridiculously low that it is sold at a quarter of it´s original price. I just bought another one. Great addition to my collection of Vertigo, Tubetech, SSL, EmpiricalLabs, UA, Avalon and more....

Rock on!
Pat
Old 17th December 2009
Lives for gear

API 2500

Focusrite RED3

TC Electronic MD4 (maybe that's not appropriate)

so many good boxes out there, maybe less the tool and more the brain turning the knobs
Old 17th December 2009
Lives for gear

Try out the demo of the new Algorithmix Splitcomp. It doesn't require Ilok and can be demoed through 2 weeks. I'm not a big fan of software comps, but this one kicks ass when we're talking about "versatile".
Old 17th December 2009
Crane Song STC 8
Vertigo Sound VSC-2
API 2500
GML 8900
Shadow Hill Mastering Comp

all very versatile and useful
Old 17th December 2009
I'm gonna add the Foote Control Systems P3S to the list. Even more versatile than my 2500.
Old 18th December 2009
GML has to be mentioned. Anything that can pull a crazy amount of db's of reduction without it being audible and then turn around and be tweakable into the next galaxy is versatile in my book.
Old 19th December 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by voidtunes View Post
api 2500 for versitility!

Ssl bus comp for all time!
say no more....enough said.
Old 19th December 2009
Here for the gear

TL Audio C-1

TL Audio C-1 : 2-Channel Tube Compressor
Old 19th December 2009
Gear Maniac

+ 1 for the 8900 my first for 2 buss and for ac guitars and overheads, I'd like to have the STC 8 from Cranesong, and I am always impressed by the Manley Vari-MU.

Nice week end
Old 20th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry View Post
not nearly as bad as people here want to make believe....
Old 20th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboys View Post

I always thought that TL made great gear...I dunno why people hate it so much.....their tube EQ's and their console are just fantastic...
Old 20th December 2009
Here for the gear

Ive been used this, and previos generation pre/comp from TL "classic" series more than 10 years for voice over production. Usually with Neumann mic's. IMHO it sounds great and works fine. Especially if replace standard 12AX7 with Telefunken or Mullard NOS tubes.

PS
Sorry for my english.
Old 20th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJoe View Post
Crane Song STC 8
Vertigo Sound VSC-2
API 2500
GML 8900
Shadow Hill Mastering Comp

all very versatile and useful
Agreed. I would add the QES Labs Variable-Gm tube compressor.
I've found a recent shoot-out thread here.
A superb piece of equipment.
Old 20th December 2009
Lives for gear

The STC-8 is a great tool, and very versatile. If I had to keep just one compressor, it would be that one. FWIW, the other compressors in my rack are a couple of 1176's, a LA2A, 2 distressors w/all mods, a couple of RNC's and a mono Atomic Squeezebox. If I had to keep just one, it would definitively be the STC-8.

Stein Tore
Old 21st December 2009
Gear Addict

Data points

The STC-8, read more on their site, no VCA, transformless inputs and outputs, and balanced. Seems like the components CraneSong uses are different than things like Neve and API, some of the other classic compressors (33609 and 2500). I don't know enough about electronic designs, but it's cool that the CraneSong is a different animal. One thing I like (similar to the STC-8) is a stereo unit that also works in mono mode. Nice. Hedd 192 looks cool too.
Old 21st December 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
The TL audio C1 is not that bad, even though i have to admit that i don't really use it that much no more, now and then maybe the pre-amp, thats it.

i like the Distressors, but only for channel work, i wouldn't use them for the master bus, because i think that they can be noisy from time to time, for my taste they are a bit to bread and butter for the master inserts.

i just bought the SSL X-rack Bus Comp and really think that is has a nice vibe but i just got it in, so im still trying that one out ... the only thing i noticed is that you have to make sure that you don't go to hot with the threshhold on the SSL, -2 to -3 db gain reduction seems to be the limit, unless you want to mess with your sound big time..

my all time favorite comp is the phoenix from thermionic culture, for me the most versatile valve compressor ever! extremely fast release times ( if desired ), perfect for mastering or bus work and also absolute outstanding for single signal processing (vocals, guitar's, bass, drums).. it has its price, but worth every penny!

i compared the phoenix with a Manley Vari Mu, the Phoenix had me instantly, Manley not so in this case.
Old 21st December 2009
Here for the gear

ups, almost forgot my top 5

Thermionic Culture Phoenix (mean)
Prism Sound MLA-2 (mean)
Shadow Hill Mastering Comp (a little sci-fi, but still mean)
Chiswick Reach Stereo Comp (mean)
GML 8900 (classic)
thumbsup
Old 21st December 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterfiles View Post
i just bought the SSL X-rack Bus Comp and really think that is has a nice vibe but i just got it in, so im still trying that one out ... the only thing i noticed is that you have to make sure that you don't go to hot with the https://www.gearslutz.com/board/image....gifthreshhold on the SSL, -2 to -3 db gain reduction seems to be the limit, unless you want to mess with your sound big time..
So true, they get super fast and very quick, I love the grab and how it reacts, but I'm with you to much reduction is a stranglehold.
Old 21st December 2009
i've been living with an STC-8 now for a bit, and i have to say that unit is bad ass. it's superb for dialing in on kick, snare, and bass relationships, without at all mucking up the balance of vocals and other mix elements, and the overall tone of your mix. it's transparent sounding, but you can hear the compression if you want to, or you can get it to stay out of the way, but keep things tight. if i need some color, i'll run a vari mu or g-ssl pre the stc.
Old 21st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterfiles View Post

i compared the phoenix with a Manley Vari Mu, the Phoenix had me instantly, Manley not so in this case.
I sold my VariMu because it´s character left me extremely underwhelmed, I vastly preferred all types of SSL busscompression. Got me a Vertigo VSC2, which to my ears sounds heavenly on the buss (and pretty much everything else as well). Try it if you get the chance, the guys at Vertigo let you try it out for a while.
Never tried the Phoenix but will as soon as I get the chance.

Btw, guessing from your username, are you Rodney?

Rock on!
Pat
Old 21st December 2009
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
If you're a low end pimp you'd say:

If you read the original post

You'd be thinking Dual Atomic Squeezebox, Neve 33609 [no suffix], Fairchild 670 [99% impossible to have in great condition unless you're John McBride], Thermionic Culture "Phoenix", STC-8, VT-7, or something in that range.

DBX? "Safe Sound"?... why not FMR while you're at it?
YA, A $3,000.00 compressor is LOW END...What a tool,
Old 24th December 2009
Here for the gear

Got ME!

Quote:
I sold my VariMu because it´s character left me extremely underwhelmed, I vastly preferred all types of SSL busscompression. Got me a Vertigo VSC2, which to my ears sounds heavenly on the buss (and pretty much everything else as well). Try it if you get the chance, the guys at Vertigo let you try it out for a while.
Never tried the Phoenix but will as soon as I get the chance.

Btw, guessing from your username, are you Rodney?

Rock on!
Pat
Old 24th December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen View Post
I'm gonna add the Foote Control Systems P3S to the list. Even more versatile than my 2500.
Shhhhhhhhh....

Don, you're going to let the secret out about the IRON FOOTE.

The thing preforms like a true champion for the dough.
Old 24th December 2009
Lives for gear

ADR COMPEX Killer compressor

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search