The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I got Robbed Last night... Gear Stolen.. LA slutz need help Condenser Microphones
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Maniac

I got Robbed Last night... Gear Stolen.. LA slutz need help

This morning i find out that last night someone broke into my studio in downtown long beach and stole damn near everything i had... It's extremely unfortunate for me because i didn't have any insurance on my gear... contemplated it several times... called a couple times but didn't follow through... that's the part that kills me right now... None the less, these guys took $97,700 dollars worth of my equipment... I was left with a few items... but all of my stuff is basically gone...

Got detectives on the job and so far they've been extremely helpful... got one eye witness this morning who saw one of the guys looking nervous leaving...

My advice to anyone reading this.... Get insurance Immediately... Not later... NOW...

Here's a list of what was taken....

Sony C800G.. Just the mic.. not the power supply
Neumann M149... Just the mic not power supply
Audio Technica AT4060
Neumann U87ai
Blue Mouse
Digidesign 192io
Avalon ad2022
Avalon ad2055
Avalon vt737sp
Avalon vt747sp
Open Labs Neko XXL
Yamaha Motif XS8
Roland Fantom G8
Korg M3 61 key
Apple Mac Pro 8-core
digidesign HD3 accel Pci-E
Waves Diamond/SSL TDM bundles
Tascam us2400 control surface
2 flat screen monitors one Samsung 24", other I-inc 28"
Digidesign C24 control surface
Dynaudio bm5a

If anyone has any idea or can be helpful at all in the LA area i would be extremely grateful... I know in my heart that this was an inside job... someone whom had been there before.... obviously... they took a part of me today... i felt like throwing in the towel momentarily... but i'm not... it's time to recover... so if you can please help....

Thanks,
Doc

aka

Kerry
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Addict

Did you keep track of any of the serial numbers? That is horrible! I hope they get those idiots, and you get your equipment back as it was.
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Maniac
I will put my ears to the ground - that is one of the worst stories I've heard.
Old 25th November 2009
Sorry to hear about that. Karma will have a way to find those f*ckers.
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Nut

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

God Bless, hope everything works out for ya.
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

damn, hate to hear it...
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

That is fvcked. Monitor craigslist for sure. I'll hit you up if I see any of that gear on there. I feel for you bro.
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear this.

I can only try to give you some words of encouragement... sometimes when the universe slams us, it's got something bigger & better in store. At least, there's no harm in believing that. Things have a funny way of working out in the end.

Maybe buy a lottery ticket...
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Thanks guys...

I have a lot of the serial numbers.... but not them all... I already contacted my rep at one of the stores... he's providing me with several of the serials...
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Addict

Post the serial numbers... I'm in the SoCal area and will keep an eye out.

God Bless.
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLetMeDrown View Post
That is fvcked. Monitor craigslist for sure.
i'll keep an eye out.
I hope you get them and ALL your gear back.

Don't just monitor craigslist post fake ads looking to buy back choice pieces (or a couple of choice pieces) that got stolen from you.

Make an advertisement saying LTB looking to Buy or WTB want to buy and offer to pay cash etc.

Have a new/unknown friends phone number listed in the advertisement and see if the thieves try to contact you via the CL ad. An aggressive seller just might be the thief.

good luck.
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Sorry to hear that man, it sucks. You might want to try LBC area pawn shops & let em know to keep a look out for you. Many are very helpful.

Sometimes the dumbasses will try to resell in the same area they stole from.

Sincerest good luck on this one...we feel ya.
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Another thought... do you have a client list you can turn over to investigators?
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Maniac

I know it doesn't mean much, but I hope everything works out for you. I actually got sick to my stomach reading this. I've only got about 1/10th of the money invested comparatively, and I would absolutely lose my mind if it was all gone one day. I can't even imagine what you're going through.

Good luck.
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Tragedy

Tragic !!

Just F##ked up as it gets .

Hope you get it back .
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAstudio View Post
Another thought... do you have a client list you can turn over to investigators?
I do not.... I basically used all my equipment for my personal use... or if i had an artist that i believed in... then i took the journey of producing them from scratch on my equipment...

The studio for me was a place to keep all my big boy toys... and i had a lot of them... away from the home(wife), no need to worry about the loudness(neighbors), and no random people in my home...

On the flip side... I did have a partner... and he tried to make a business out of it... and i could see why honestly... there was a lot of good solid equipment there... so he would have random people over all the time... So i definitely think it's someone who he brought over... because they were very selective with the type of things they were after.. They were after my hardcore R&B/Rap stuff... my avalons, my sony, my neumanns... they took my 192io and left my apogee rosetta800... They took the 737 but left two Distressors... that's bananas to me... but they were also very clean with their removal of the gear... No cut cables or anything...
Old 25th November 2009

This happened to me at my studio in NYC years back - however, I was insured. The thieves still boosted a few vintage pieces I could never replace.

I feel for you man - this is one of the freakiest things that can happen - especially, to us sensitive musician types. You start looking over your shoulder, and freaking out about everything- late at night when you're in the studio alone, you start hearing things. You start looking at clients - and anyone near the studio - with a whole new perspective. I basically stopped public advertising after that, and it killed a big part of my studio business.

....IT REALLY SUCKS!

I'm sorry this happened, man. Sending my best, FWIW.

PM if you ever need to commiserate.

Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

I'd monitor every major city's craigslist for a long while. They are likely to pop up there if they were stolen to be sold.

...though it sounds like they wanted to use the stuff themselves judging from your last post.
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelmossobrien View Post
I'd monitor every major city's craigslist for a long while. They are likely to pop up there if they were bought to be sold.

...though it sounds like they wanted to use the stuff themselves judging from your last post.
Yes... I have heard countless accounts of thieves posting boosted goods on craigslist. It provides a fairly anonymous venue to liquidate goods, which can sometimes attract the wrong element.

--
Wheels
Old 25th November 2009

If they were planning to actually use the stuff themselves you'd think they would have been savvy enough to take the supplies for the mics. Everybody should keep an eye out for these mics w/o supplies as they will undoubtably come up for sale on Craigslist or Ebay.
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

so sorry to hear mate. I read this right as im in the middle of updating my serials and gear list for next years insurance. hindsight is 20/20. Insuring $100k worth of gear will only set u back around $1400 a year with a large musical equipment insurance. Also.. invest in a cheap alarm system.
try setting up a google alert to inform you of any new listings for any of the pieces of gear stolen when it appears on site: craiglist (dot) com etc. shouldnt be too hard to setup an alarm for all the various names etc.

I pray that this all turns around for good for ya!
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Nut

i cannot imagine (nor do i want to) what you must feel. i would be a ****en mess. whether you believe in karma or consequence, know that they'll get theirs. like the said, keep an eye on CL, but also ebay as well. you can search for auctions listed in a city or zip code with a different mileage options. i would keep an eye on both. thats cool that the cops seem helpful, but being proactive wont hurt.

best of luck man
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Sorry to hear that man. I am in the OC and will keep an eye out down here. Good luck with this. I can't even imagine how disheartening it must be to lose that much money all at once.
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Man, that sucks. Hindsight is always 20/20 - insurance is SO necessary in this line of work. Hopefully the assholes who made off with the gear will get nailed and everything will find it's way back to you.
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Guru

That sucks. But get insurance! And a alarm system. I have a home studio with a nice collection of stuff and even I have insurance and a monitored alarm system. It's a no brainer if you are sitting on 100K worth of gear.
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Addict

My thoughts are with you....sorry to hear this news
Old 25th November 2009
Deleted User
Yeah, man ... I will keep an eye out for this gear here in NYC craigslist and on Ebay.
Old 25th November 2009

I just notified some gear pimps in town to watch out for the gear. I would contact every pimp in town. I am so sorry man.
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

I'm really sorry to hear this. Just the thought of it happening to me makes me sick.

I really hope detectives find and bust the f*ckers before they sell the stuff off.
But as others have suggested, make sure you contact all dealers and shops that you can find on the yellow pages and let them know.

Good luck man.
Old 25th November 2009
Sorry Man, that happened to me as well when I just arrived to America...they left me with 75 cents and even took all my clothes!

I hope they can catch those idiots and that you can get all your gear back!

Really hope you will get all back very soon!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search