The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I got Robbed Last night... Gear Stolen.. LA slutz need help Condenser Microphones
Old 5th December 2009
Lives for gear

Thieves are scum. So many forget that, until they get ripped off themselves

In case no one else mentioned, call all the manufactures of the gear you lost and tell them your gear was stolen, give them your serial #'s and if the gear is ever sent in for service, you might just get it back

When I buy used gear, I write up a bill of sale stating that the seller promises the gear is free and clear of liens and that it is not stolen. I then have them produce I.D. and I write their I.D. # into the bill of sale. If there is any hint that it maybe 'hot', there is no way the seller would agree to this. So far I've never had a problem. For one I ethically don't want to buy hot gear, and for 2, I don't want to lose my gear if I send it in for service!!
Old 5th December 2009
Lives for gear

That sucks. I will keep an eye open for you in San Francisco.
Old 5th December 2009
TC5
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclisby View Post
Yesterday I noticed this...

http://losangeles.***************/la...487101005.html

I called.. No shockmount or power supply and it was in long beach...

But what made it more over the top was that he was also selling this...
http://losangeles.***************/la...487097745.html

When I called he said he also had a Digidesign C24 and he would sell me it all for 6500
and if I hurried up for 6000...

Got the detectives involved... Set up a sting but had to follow their rules to the key to avoid technicalities later... Long Story short the guy IDs me... And said he knew me... Wow...

Now the latest

http://losangeles.***************/sf...488943562.html

http://losangeles.***************/sf...488945656.html

http://losangeles.***************/sf...488941509.html

any help would be great...
Sorry to hear about your loss. Absolutely devastating. This new info is good news though. Sounds like you're close to identifying the scum thieves. If I was in LA I would definitely pose as a buyer. I hope you get all your gear back and these lowlives get what they deserve. Good luck!
Old 23rd December 2009
Gear Maniac

I cross linked these two threads. Apparently someone is selling a U87 on Craigslist? The link was broken so I did not check it out yet.

vintage 87 fake?
Old 23rd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton View Post
FYI my scheduled coverage of $220,000 of replacement value costs me about $2300 per year.
By that math the insurance company expects you should get cleaned out no more than once every 100 years... Okay not exactly but for some reason I find that interesting.
Old 9th February 2010
Lives for gear

Were these bastards ever caught?
Old 16th December 2014
Lives for gear

I don't know if this helps but there was a Sony c800g sold recently without s power supply... I know it's 5 years later but still
Old 17th December 2014
Lives for gear

It doesn't show up on the app anymore but I'm sure it will on the computer, they sold it without a power supply for about 2100$ Could be worth looking into.
Old 17th December 2014
RTR
Lives for gear

This is the main reason I moved all my stuff back home. had a space for a while, my friend that had a key because I let him record on his own, started to have tons of people there, smoking blunts and **** all night....i will never have my equipment out of my home again...I am so sorry for you, I could not imagine having all that gear stolen. I could not imagine having all that gear in another place..i would worry all night thinking about it.
Old 18th December 2014
$1,400. per year for 100K in gear.?????? Has something changed in the last 20 years????? We attempted to insure ours back in the day, and I believe the rate was about 20 percent of what the replacement cost would be (per year)., So in five years, you would have paid for new gear. No, we elected not to insure.

If you insure your stuff for $1,400./year by giving them a "not quite honest" business description, then you don't really have insurance but haven't found out the hard way yet. However, if you can insure it for that, please post your insurer. I had no idea prices had come down so much.
Old 18th December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by puke View Post
$1,400. per year for 100K in gear.?????? Has something changed in the last 20 years????? We attempted to insure ours back in the day, and I believe the rate was about 20 percent of what the replacement cost would be (per year)., So in five years, you would have paid for new gear. No, we elected not to insure.

If you insure your stuff for $1,400./year by giving them a "not quite honest" business description, then you don't really have insurance but haven't found out the hard way yet. However, if you can insure it for that, please post your insurer. I had no idea prices had come down so much.
Doesn't seem too absurd. Up her in Canada, I have $30K in gear, wage loss, build cost replacement insurance, and I'm paying I think $800 a year.
Old 18th December 2014
Lives for gear

Sounds ok to me too. I pay about $1500/yr for over $100k in coverage plus liability. And it's through a very reputable vendor.

-Ben
Old 18th December 2014
Lives for gear
I'll say this: the best insurance possible is having your gear in a secured brick building with no widows & steel doors so that breaking in would be time consuming & require making extreme noise and hence be very risky. If their only option is to pull a gun on you whilst you are leaving/entering then that eliminates a large percentage of the type of spineless, cowardly scum that commit acts like this. If they have to actually face you then you at least have a chance to shoot them first or identify the bastards, 2 things these type scum of the earth would most like to avoid !

Every time I have read about a studio break-in on here (and elsewhere) it seems that physically getting in is usually pretty easy (thru a window or easily kicked in door making minimal noise),and the thieves strike at night when nobody is around and have ample time to remove the gear. If you eliminate those 2 variables your chance of being robbed is much slimmer because most thieves are smart enough to figure out the odds are stacked against actually pulling off the caper. People seem to place too much reliance on security systems.

My studio is as described above and I am always there from 6pm to 6 am (the hours that scum like this prefer to operate). If they tried to break in during the day they'd be arrested and hauled off to jail within 10 minutes.

And I'm always packing and ready for the potential physical confrontation outside the gate getting to my car.
Old 19th December 2014
Lives for gear

I have my gear insured with Music Pro. Those rates sound about right to me.
Old 19th December 2014
Lives for gear

Joe Marinello,, I just got 90k for 1k a year includes liability also which is kinda important if you have clients in the building
Old 21st December 2014
BTW

He got his gears back as he wrote somewhere in the forum.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search