The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I got Robbed Last night... Gear Stolen.. LA slutz need help Condenser Microphones
Old 29th November 2009
I'm sorry dude. All I can say is it's better you weren't there. Gear is replaceable. It's definitely got me thinking of having insurance again.

I got a question for you insurance havers. The majority of my equipment has been bought used, but can't nessasarily find all of it so easily used and in good condition again. Can you insure your used gear at new value? and do you have to have receipts for your purchases? Most of my equipment has been built up over 15 years, and I don't have receipts for even the things I bought new.
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishMusic View Post
I'm sorry dude. All I can say is it's better you weren't there. Gear is replaceable. It's definitely got me thinking of having insurance again.

I got a question for you insurance havers. The majority of my equipment has been bought used, but can't nessasarily find all of it so easily used and in good condition again. Can you insure your used gear at new value? and do you have to have receipts for your purchases? Most of my equipment has been built up over 15 years, and I don't have receipts for even the things I bought new.
why is that? i have a 9mm in my studio..
Old 29th November 2009
Ugh.

Grimmm.
Old 29th November 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishMusic View Post
I have a "scheduled" policy that lists each piece of gear and it's replacement value. The cost of the policy is based on the dollar values listed for the gear. The policy is very clear that in the case of loss the insurance company will not pay more than the replacement cost for the item(s) involved. Basically this means that even though you might insure a used piece of gear for new value the insurance company will only pay what it would cost to replace it with a comparable piece on the used market. They aren't going to find the item for you so they don't care if it is hard to find or not, they are only concerned about it's actual value. You don't want to assign high values on a scheduled policy because you will be paying a much higher premium for insurance that you will never be able to collect.
I have not had to show receipts. Serial numbers are listed with the policy. I would suggest taking photos of your gear and studio as these are invaluable in the event of a claim.
The one thing I insist upon is an addendum that states "no depreciation" will be applied to the value in the event of a loss. This does cost more but it eliminates the nightmare of having the insurance company say your prized (expensive) gear has depreciated to a low value and they only want to pay pennies on the dollar of actual current value in the event of a claim.
Old 29th November 2009
500 series nutjob

Rick, who are you using for your policy?
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Contact all of your local pawn shops. I hope they catch and prosecute the thieves. Best of luck to you.
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Dammit. Sorry to hear that.
Old 29th November 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
Rick, who are you using for your policy?
Pan,
I use an agent that I have been with for forty years from my old hometown. My first policy was for my musical instruments (I played in the local pizza parlors etc as a teenager).
My agent (actually a fairly large company) is an independent that arranges my policy with large insurers......I know this sounds vague and obtuse but this is how this stuff works.
Over the years the actual underwriters were Maghee Maritime(!) out of San Francisco and has changed a couple of times and for the past few years it has been Fireman's Fund.
I have seen quite a few mentions on GS of a particular agent that specializes in this type of coverage and a search will probably bring up the name. If you want the contact info for my agent PM me and I'll get it to you. FYI my scheduled coverage of $220,000 of replacement value costs me about $2300 per year. This policy does not cover my building/liability etc as that is a separate policy/agent.
Old 29th November 2009
500 series nutjob

dose not sound like i would say any money.
insurance is just costly no matter what it seems.
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
dose not sound like i would say any money.
insurance is just costly no matter what it seems.
My Dad was an insurance broker - he taught me to take a belt and braces approach to insurance.

* Don't skimp, buy the best ALL risk cover.

* Send the insurance company (and store off site) photos with YOU in the picture of all your gear in the studio.

* Keep all reciepts and photo copy (store off site)

* Give the insurance company serial numbers for everything.

* Include the cost of all cables, mic stands, misc. stuff, it all adds up.

* Never under insure, always use the latest new for old replacement prices.

* Never hold back any information or lie (it's called non disclosure)

Don't give the insurance company a single inch to wiggle out if you have a major claim, and they will if you give them any reason what so ever.

Insurance is very important if you can't afford to replace all your gear yourself, sounds obvious I know but it can be a disaster if you don't have insurance and you have a total loss.

Threads like this make me sick to the back teeth, I'd love to advertise my place but even though I have insurance, I'm just too nervous about having strangers in my studio!

I'm really sorry to hear this story, I hope you get your gear back.

Best
TMY
Old 29th November 2009
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarqueeYears View Post
My Dad was an insurance broker - he taught me to take a belt and braces approach to insurance.

* Don't skimp, buy the best ALL risk cover.

* Send the insurance company (and store off site) photos with YOU in the picture of all your gear in the studio.

* Keep all reciepts and photo copy (store off site)

* Give the insurance company serial numbers for everything.

* Include the cost of all cables, mic stands, misc. stuff, it all adds up.

* Never under insure, always use the latest new for old replacement prices.

* Never hold back any information or lie (it's called non disclosure)

Don't give the insurance company a single inch to wiggle out if you have a major claim, and they will if you give them any reason what so ever.

Insurance is very important if you can't afford to replace all your gear yourself, sounds obvious I know but it can be a disaster if you don't have insurance and you have a total loss.

Threads like this make me sick to the back teeth, I'd love to advertise my place but even though I have insurance, I'm just too nervous about having strangers in my studio!

I'm really sorry to hear this story, I hope you get your gear back.

Best
TMY
agree, i also keep things very very privet here as i just do not want strangers in here.
i have sent customers away for bring a friend with them. and i tell folks up front and most know not to but it dose happen from time to time.
i would just like to see insurance that was a bit more affordable.
Old 30th November 2009
Gear Addict

Dam

that is really ****ed up, I will keep an eye out in Orange county, I will also keep an eye out for any broke ass rappers that all of a sudden are recording with a c800g in the garage. Check the pawn shops I always see them posting crap they buy on craigslist and they mention that all kinds of people bring there pro audio equipment there for pawn. Good luck with the pursuit.
Old 1st December 2009
Gear Maniac

Guys...

Thanks so much for all of your concern.... Even the gentileman who offerred to give me gear... I am so grateful for people like you all... It's allowing me to see that people actually do have a heart...

I've had one busy as day... I'll inform you guys of it all later... but... it's pretty damn crazy what's going on right now...
Old 1st December 2009
I live in San Luis Obispo. I'll keep an eye out.
Old 1st December 2009
Here for the gear

High Desert

I'll keep my ears to the ground in this neck of the desert , it's funny how here as well as there are connected rap-wise.....I feel your loss and it makes me feel like it's time to protect ourselves.....peace Tom
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

I'm in LA give me some info on serials and I will pass this stuff along.
Old 1st December 2009
Gear Maniac

very very sad.... i'm really sorry to hear that. take the chance and give the serial numbers to the manufacturers and dealers and have an eye on ebay too.
i wish you all the best!
stefan
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclisby View Post
Guys...

Thanks so much for all of your concern.... Even the gentileman who offerred to give me gear... I am so grateful for people like you all... It's allowing me to see that people actually do have a heart...

I've had one busy as day... I'll inform you guys of it all later... but... it's pretty damn crazy what's going on right now...
Well it sounds like you have some new information, I sincerely hope it's looking up.

Take care.
Old 1st December 2009
Gear Maniac

Who in LA can help me buy some gear?? PM me... I was so very close... These guys know that I'm on them tough... They're listing my things randomly on Craigslist... They know me at least my face... I almost purchased my mic and C24 back yesterday but the guy spooked out because he knew me.... Today I'll be uploading as many serials as I have...
Old 1st December 2009
Gear Maniac

Yesterday I noticed this...

http://losangeles.***************/la...487101005.html

I called.. No shockmount or power supply and it was in long beach...

But what made it more over the top was that he was also selling this...
http://losangeles.***************/la...487097745.html

When I called he said he also had a Digidesign C24 and he would sell me it all for 6500
and if I hurried up for 6000...

Got the detectives involved... Set up a sting but had to follow their rules to the key to avoid technicalities later... Long Story short the guy IDs me... And said he knew me... Wow...

Now the latest

http://losangeles.***************/sf...488943562.html

http://losangeles.***************/sf...488945656.html

http://losangeles.***************/sf...488941509.html

any help would be great...
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Who in LA can help me buy some gear?? PM me... I was so very close... These guys know that I'm on them tough... They're listing my things randomly on Craigslist... They know me at least my face... I almost purchased my mic and C24 back yesterday but the guy spooked out because he knew me.... Today I'll be uploading as many serials as I have...
If that's true, then surely the police can now get those bastards within a day or two? Just have someone contact them undercover and bam, they've got 'em. Good luck!
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Is there something like a local street market, or used musical instruments, etc... things around where you have your studio? Let me tell you an anecdote, a guy here had a postproduction studio with lots of equipment, he also got robbed, one day while visiting one of this markets, etc... he saw a guy selling a bass like the one he had, he looked at it, those little scratches etc... he knew it was his stolen bass, he went back for the police, the police arrested the guy and made him rat out the robbers, so far he has recovered half of his equipment....
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yesterday I noticed this...

http://losangeles.***************/la...487101005.html

I called.. No shockmount or power supply and it was in long beach...

But what made it more over the top was that he was also selling this...
http://losangeles.***************/la...487097745.html

When I called he said he also had a Digidesign C24 and he would sell me it all for 6500
and if I hurried up for 6000...

Got the detectives involved... Set up a sting but had to follow their rules to the key to avoid technicalities later... Long Story short the guy IDs me... And said he knew me... Wow...

Now the latest

http://losangeles.***************/sf...488943562.html

http://losangeles.***************/sf...488945656.html

http://losangeles.***************/sf...488941509.html

any help would be great...
Links aren't working...
Old 1st December 2009
Gear Nut

Good luck my brother. At least you are doing something to get your gear back. We are all behind you.
Old 1st December 2009
Gear Nut

Does this U87ai look familiar?

I wrote to the seller (Fast Eddie is his name...) and he said it just sold.

(remove all spaces and replace DOT with . )

http:// losangeles DOT craigslist DOT org/sfv/msg/1488655925.html

Nothing against the seller if it's legit.
Old 2nd December 2009
Gear Addict

hey man. i'm in granada hills. i will DEFINITELY help you.
i'm always all over the place, i live in granada hills, i'm in riverside 2 times a week, and another two days in the heart of LA
long beach isnt far away
PM me if you find something on craigs. i can pretend to purchase etc
i'm in the process of re-building my studio so i have all the free time in the world.
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

I will keep my eyes peeled for you.

I once recovered some stolen Telefunken pre's for a guy.

Damn.
Old 2nd December 2009
Gear Addict

http://losangeles dot craigslist dot org/lac/msg/1480788593.html

what do yo think?
Old 2nd December 2009
Gear Addict

this one is more suspicious.
it says studio is selling tons. yet he lists one avalon :/

autistic or just craigslist ********? or culprit?

http://losangeles dot craigslist dot org/lac/msg/1490439052.html
Old 2nd December 2009
Gear Maniac

Wow, that is absolutely terrible. I agree with the others: post on CL every single day. Obviously monitor ebay as well.

On a positive note, when I was robbed 2 years ago I had my whole live rig taken after a show (Stingray, Ampeg svt classic...etc) and found all of things in a pawn shop and I had my serial numbers so they had to give it back. There is always hope.

Good luck brother-

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search