The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I got Robbed Last night... Gear Stolen.. LA slutz need help Condenser Microphones
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dee View Post
Kerry,

Thank God you weren't hurt in the robbery. I'm in LB too and it's getting hairy these days... damn &%#*^%$ gang scum. There was a shooting at our local high school (I'm sure you know) after their homecoming football game and an innocent young girl was killed, just weeks ago. It makes my blood boil. I think they still haven't filled the vacant police job yet either... get on with it already. Bob Foster is a disappointing mayor IMO.

Anyway, sorry for the digression. I'll keep my eyes and ears open, although I'm not as likely to come across high end gear as others in the area but you never know.
JD

I heard about that situation... Very sad... Homecoming game between poly and Wilson... Some of my patients attend both of those highshools...

I am very greatful to be alive... I'm thinking that the guys that came in had to have guns... Who comes in to take that much stuff and time without being strapped...
So I'm counting that as my blessing...
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Sorry to hear this!My biggest fear!
Alarm your studio with a signal directly to police.
Insurance helps as well.
Dont do sessions with low life who will rip you off.
Qualify everyone over the phone before they come over.
Its amazing how much you can find out from a simple creative converation with possible clients.
Good luck!

Dan P
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Damn, Im Soooo sorry my man. good luck with everything! I can only imagine how you feel.

Prayers are with you bro!
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Head

My greatest sympathy to you.

A few years ago I worked in a public studio. I knew the owner quite well and I left ALL my scores and recordings there locked in his office for safe keeping because the area I lived in wasn't the safest. Unfortunately his place was broken into by some morons who trashed all the equipment in his studio and also set fire to the paperwork in his office and therefore burning all my work. Luckily he was insured but there was nothing I could do to get back what was taken from me. It does leave a permanent scar and I didn't write any material in 2 years. But I got over it and made me wiser. I now keep copies of my recordings in separate places and all my scores are copied onto Sibelius and saved on different computers.

What I'm trying to say is that these life changing experiences either make you or break you and I do hope that you come back stronger and wiser.

My thoughts are with you at this difficult moment in your career.
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Nut

This thread breaks my heart. Don't give up, you'll catch the bastards.
Old 25th November 2009
Here for the gear

Best of luck with everything - I hate hearing stories like this.

Have you heard of this site:

site mash : : combined classified and auction listings

basically it allows you to search all Craigslist and eBay auctions at once... potentially helpful.

I hope things work out for you.
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

there music making will be cursed with the stolen property if they decide to not sell it.
also put a list of the stolen gear on craigslist of every city.
it might be a long time doing but many people will read it and will be vigilant as not every day will you see many a high end piece of gear for sell in their home town
Old 26th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikesh R M Kerai View Post
My greatest sympathy to you.

A few years ago I worked in a public studio. I knew the owner quite well and I left ALL my scores and recordings there locked in his office for safe keeping because the area I lived in wasn't the safest. Unfortunately his place was broken into by some morons who trashed all the equipment in his studio and also set fire to the paperwork in his office and therefore burning all my work. Luckily he was insured but there was nothing I could do to get back what was taken from me. It does leave a permanent scar and I didn't write any material in 2 years. But I got over it and made me wiser. I now keep copies of my recordings in separate places and all my scores are copied onto Sibelius and saved on different computers.

What I'm trying to say is that these life changing experiences either make you or break you and I do hope that you come back stronger and wiser.

My thoughts are with you at this difficult moment in your career.

i hear you, man. that's really sad...who DOES stuff like this?? ...some people are just insane...

Cheers...and good for you for getting back on your horse, and taking preventative measures now!

thumbsup

Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcpl View Post
are there possibly any surveillance cameras near by that may have captured a face or license plate? cameras are everywhere these days.
THIS!

I was at a nearby liquor store a few minutes ago and found out they had a break in this morning. Turns out the restaurant next door has a kickass camera system and they captured the footage!thumbsup
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNX View Post
We just had a USPS truck driver get shot in the head for the goods in his truck here in my area, 5 houses robbed in my neighborhood (and its a nice neighborhood with Police living in the area).
The definition of "nice neighborhood" is expanding, I guess.

- c
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtone View Post
Insuring $100k worth of gear will only set u back around $1400 a year with a large musical equipment insurance. Also.. invest in a cheap alarm system.
I pay $500 for $88K worth of insurance. If anyone is interested , pm me and I'll hook you up.
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

Wow Wow Wow Hang tight brother thumbsup
Old 26th November 2009
Gear Guru

So sorry man, hope you have insurance.
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

Sorry to hear. It's happened to me before so I know what your going through. Karma works in wonderful ways though mate. I know it means nothing to you now, but its been 3 years for me and i'm in a far better place now!
Old 26th November 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm07 View Post
Sorry to hear. It's happened to me before so I know what your going through. Karma works in wonderful ways though mate. I know it means nothing to you now, but its been 3 years for me and i'm in a far better place now!
I hope the same thing can be said a few years down the line by Kerry.

Good luck catching the worthless arseholes.
Old 26th November 2009
Here for the gear

I'm probably late on responding to this, just surfing through.

out of that list, i have the 87ai and avalon737sp

if someone took those from me i'd be left naked!

i'm sorry to hear about your loss...for the amount of money you should of had the insurance, but now that it's past that, i wish you the best of luck!

fellow engineer,
kollision
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltz Mastering View Post
Sorry to hear about that. Karma will have a way to find those f*ckers.
Yeah, I feel really sorry for the people that stole that gear. And you may think I am crazy, but Waltz Mastering is right. THey will repay 10 fold throughout their life or in one shot. People think they can do **** without consequences.

Remember, cops are just people, but the universe ALWAYS balances itself out, never fails! Those poor dogs wont know what hit them.
Old 27th November 2009
Gear Head

Sorry to hear that man, that sucks
Old 27th November 2009
Here for the gear

Very sorry to hear about this man. If something like this happened to me I would be dumbstruck and enraged. That being said, here is another tool to help you in your search for your gear.

Search All Craig's - Ever wanted to search ALL craigslist sites at once?

this site allows you to search all of craigslists in one central website. It's very handy.

Hope you find your gear and that the villains get what's coming to them.
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclisby View Post
Syra....

Yes... That was the one.... I really fell in love with it for the type of music I was doing.... Question?? Would u happen to have the serial for the 2022???

Thanks
Kerry, I just looked over my records and unfortunately I don't seem to have the serial number for it. I'll keep an eye out though on craigslist and ebay.
Old 27th November 2009
500 series nutjob

so very sorry to hear: (~
i hate thief's, i just can not stand-em!
hope they get caught.
Old 27th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1rtynyc View Post
All of us Slutz have got our fingers crossed for you.
That's right!
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

Man this kind of s#*t really pisses me off! The guys that did it will eventually have to answer to a higher power and I guarantee you it will NOT be pretty! Keep your head up my friend....... We will keep our eyes an ears opened for anything.... Best of luck.
Old 28th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by syra View Post
Kerry, I just looked over my records and unfortunately I don't seem to have the serial number for it. I'll keep an eye out though on craigslist and ebay.
Thanks man... I really appreciate it....
Old 28th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by kclisby View Post
On the flip side... I did have a partner... and he tried to make a business out of it... and i could see why honestly... there was a lot of good solid equipment there...

so he would have random people over all the time...

So i definitely think it's someone who he brought over... because they were very selective with the type of things they were after..

They were after my hardcore R&B/Rap stuff... my avalons, my sony, my neumanns... they took my 192io and left my apogee rosetta800... They took the 737 but left two Distressors... that's bananas to me... but they were also very clean with their removal of the gear... No cut cables or anything...
I am really sorry to hear about your loss man - that sucks.

My project studios have always been residential and very discrete. My current set up is in a detached two car garage on the property which is like a gated compound from the outside.

Like you, my space is more for selective labors of love then it is for purely commercial use - although it certainly could be.

That one line above, highlighted is the killer - I have a couple of people I let use the space, but it's for them and them only, and no one comes to the studio without meeting me first.

One of my guys is a songwriter and I let him use the space to cut demos - for one set of demos he needed a singer better than he was - so I lent him my Alesis i/o 2, a 58, and showed him how to remotely track the vocals into garageband on his mac book so he could bring the tracks back to my place and mix them.

there's no way I'm letting anyone I don't know into my playroom... that's pretty much the rule...

for a couple of years I had a housemate studio partner, and during the larger part of the run where he was using the studio commercially I moved the bulk of my gear into storage - if he wanted to take risks, that was up to him.

We also had an arrangement - he paid me monthly rent on the space - not a lot, but it was something, and anything he made on top of that was profit. Needing to make a nut, changed the way he looked at who was coming into the space.
Old 28th November 2009
Gear Addict

hmmm. have you been posting your **** on craigslist?
i saw a 800 on craigslist. not something anyone just buys and sells
Old 28th November 2009
Gear Addict

btw. i'm in the LA area sorta (granada hills)
and i've seen some stuff on craigs. but if this happened only 4 days ago then maybe its not your stuff?
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

Heart felt sympathy to you and your family.
Old 28th November 2009
omg that is so EFFed.. to think how much you laboured to put that studio together and some f***ing thief comes along if i see them in toronto i'll put them in a box and ship them directly to you...
what's yours will come back to you good luck
Old 28th November 2009
Gear Maniac

I would like to believe, as many have posted, that if all else fails karma will avenge the burglary of your studio. However, I tend to believe that if the thieves are identified and charged, when the time is right, a baseball bat to drive the karma into the punks is a more definitive measure of justice.

That said, perhaps the GS Brethren can assist you in getting back on your feet. I've got some unused gear (not junk!) that I would be happy to donate to a GS brother. If you are interested, PM an address and I'll get it in the mail. If you can't, sell it and buy something you would use.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search