The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I got Robbed Last night... Gear Stolen.. LA slutz need help Condenser Microphones
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Mods please pin this for the man...So sad
Old 25th November 2009

I'm sorry to hear about your current situation... There is no worse feeling than that of "loss", and I think we can all relate on some level to what you are going through.

If I hear about anyone selling anything from your list, I'll drop you a line.... Karma will get those thieves in the end.
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

thats sad...

i'm not one to take the law into my own hands, but when someone takes something as personal as gear i consider it a war....

i wish i could help because if there's one thing i hate in this world it is thieves, the ones who take from peoples personal lives...

i'll keep an eye out in northwest cities like portland....

not bad to stay in touch with the san fran / vegas / seattle CL's as well.

condolences,
nathan
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your current situation... There is no worse feeling than that of "loss", and I think we can all relate on some level to what you are going through.

If I hear about anyone selling anything from your list, I'll drop you a line.... Karma will get those thieves in the end.
Thanks... Tony and everyone for the warm words... I can't even sleep right now... Thinking about this... Wifey next to me... And this is driving my mind crazy... I'm up on the iPhone talking to u guys right now... I don't think I'll get any rest tonight... It's gonna be a long day tomorrow at the office...

Every one has given me such solid advice, potential leads, future protection/ideas... I really appreciate those things... I feel like I trust no one right now... I'm a doctor... I deal with people and their issues all day long... I trust that they are being honest... And lots of times physical exams and findings indicate they are being truthful.. But my trusting of others is at an all time low... Right now... I know a little time will mend some of my feelings...
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclisby View Post
This morning i didn't have any insurance on my gear..
Kerry

Damm Doc! I really sorry to hear that. Jesus. I am trying to understand why you didn't have insurance with such an investment? Especially in this time of year. Lots of bad crap happens near Christmas every year. We just had a USPS truck driver get shot in the head for the goods in his truck here in my area, 5 houses robbed in my neighborhood (and its a nice neighborhood with Police living in the area).

What people will do to get money. Is unbelievable. My insurance on my studio literally cost me only $40 or less per month JFYI. I got everything covered by my bank. Check with your bank if they offer insurance. Cameras, computers, anything you cherish, all studio gear should be covered. If some thugs can get past my dogs, alarm system, and my guns and steal all my gear. I am covered 100%, money back guarantee.

All you guys out there with more than $25,000 of gear. GET INSURANCE!!!! You have it on your car, why not your gear?

I cringe every time I hear guys come on GS stating they got robbed. Especially, if you run a business. You got clients coming in all the time, friends or fans of theirs, potential crack or junk users. You never know who is out to robbed you blind. Probability of getting robbed is up when you got people coming eye balling your gear. Even though I have insurance, studio is in a good area, security alarm emplaced...I am planning to get some steel bars and metal doors installed in my place. Just like they do in NYC and Colombia South America.

Damm man, I hope you find some of your stuff. And I hope you filed all your serial #s away.

Thats another thing. Inventory your shxt. Take a day to inventory all your gear and use microsoft excel to log on your serial #s. You never know when you will need them. And take recent photos of all your gear. I have a personal habit of taking photos of any new piece of gear I get in my inventory.

PS. Don't just monitor craiglist. GS classfieds here as well. And Ebay. Hopefully these guys will be stupid enough to put it on Ebay or here. Sounds like since they didn't cut the cables , maybe they plan on using the gear themselves.. So look out for any new ads or upcoming studios . You might see your gear in their racks.. You just never know. How many studios in your area use a C24 for example? Just trying to help.
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

You are looking for:

A. Someone with rudimentary studio knowledge. (He left the power supplies for the mics
and also the Rosetta 800)
B. Someone who knew you weren't going to be there at that time. (This is the big one, it's usually a pretty short list)
C. Possibly a client you explained some of the gear to ("Dr. Dre uses this")

I don't believe the person that stole this stuff is looking to sell it, I think he wants to set up his own studio.
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Nut

nothing new to add, just extending sympathy for your loss and a bump for this thread to keep folks aware.
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

I'm so sorry to hear this.

two posts above mine makes a good point. he/she will be turning some of that stuff on in an attempt to make some music.

It would be nice if your ilok could lead you to the computer. if/and when it gets connected and used.

Good Luck Doc!
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Maniac

i'm really sorry to hear this. tragic to say the least.
did the police look for fingerprints?
are there possibly any surveillance cameras near by that may have captured a face or license plate? cameras are everywhere these days.

you mentioned you have a partner and while i don't think that he had anything to do with it, he probably knows the people who did it. hopefully he can remember everyone that he's ever taken to the studio.

this doesn't smell of a random burglary at all. it never seems to be random with studio theft. the fact that you weren't running a commercial facility makes it even fishier.

best of luck to you,
marco
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Maniac

I'm so sorry....what a blow. Financially and emotionally. I sure hope they catch those thoughtless bastards. It's not like stealing someones power tools and lawn mowers.......they have to know, that musical equipment is a part of you.

I personally don't think anyone would steal this much equipment to use it for themselves as someone mentioned. Because I think when they have friends over, these friends would notice an extra hundred thousand dollars of equipment and ask questions....and sooner or later the word would get out......soooo, I think there selling it. Two pieces to this pawn shop....and two pieces to the next pawn shop...soo on down the line.

Hang in there Doc.
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

So sorry to hear that, man.
Best of luck finding the f*cking thief!
Old 25th November 2009
Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcpl View Post
i'm really sorry to hear this. tragic to say the least.
did the police look for fingerprints?
are there possibly any surveillance cameras near by that may have captured a face or license plate? cameras are everywhere these days.

you mentioned you have a partner and while i don't think that he had anything to do with it, he probably knows the people who did it. hopefully he can remember everyone that he's ever taken to the studio.

this doesn't smell of a random burglary at all. it never seems to be random with studio theft. the fact that you weren't running a commercial facility makes it even fishier.

best of luck to you,
marco
I was insured when my studio was cleared by burglars of £43,000 worth, about fifteen
years ago.
I understand now that it was arranged by one of my Ex business partners and the New Zealand insurance company found a way out of compensating me in the small print of their policy, so don't beat your self up about insurance they are very unreliable when dealing with music business related claims.
They used the old but one of the buildings was secured with a three lever lock, this was in fact the only part of the buildings the thieves has not entered and there was no equipment in it.
I really hope you get your stuff back and I would be looking very hard at any business partners you may have/had, especially if they have developed an expensive powder habit as mine did.
Get a list up as soon as you can and we can all help looking, like we are for poor old Rene Hatt who is in a very similar position.
Keep a stiff upper thingy, there's a good chap!
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Sorry to hear about your loss.

I have a policy with Zurich that is a replacement policy and is very reasonable. Let me know if you'd like my agents number.
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclisby View Post
.....Neumann M149... Just the mic not power supply
Do you have the serial number?

Contact Sennheiser USA (and Canada) immediately and let them know the Sennheiser and Neumann items stolen with serial numbers.

The person who ends up with the M149 will need to buy a power supply - so Sennheiser USA/Canada can quite easily ask for the serial number of the mic. for anyone wanting to purchase a power supply on its own.

That's your best chance of getting them.
Old 25th November 2009
teo
Lives for gear

That really sucks man!

I hope they find a van with all your stuff, smashed into a big ass tree by the road, with a couple of dead guys in the front...
Old 25th November 2009
Look into your homeowners policy to offer liimited insurance on business equipment off premises. $10,000 or so is better than getting nothing.
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

I am really sorry to hear about your loss.

My home & home studio was robbed less than a year ago taking $20k worth of stuff. It hurt pretty bad so I can relate.

I hope that they catch these rats and you get your gear back.
All of us Slutz have got our fingers crossed for you.
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

hey dude,

make sure you file a police report here in la and in orange county san benardino and riverside... contact the big stores such a gc sam ash, west la music.

also contact jason at gear orphanage and the guys at black market music.

if i happen but any of the pawn shops in the valley i will check for you.

by what they took you are definitely dealing with people from the hip hop/rnb scene.

sorry to hear about this...hang in there.

ej
Old 25th November 2009
I think I'm gonna be sick...
Old 25th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
Do you have the serial number?

Contact Sennheiser USA (and Canada) immediately and let them know the Sennheiser and Neumann items stolen with serial numbers.

The person who ends up with the M149 will need to buy a power supply - so Sennheiser USA/Canada can quite easily ask for the serial number of the mic. for anyone wanting to purchase a power supply on its own.

That's your best chance of getting them.
thumbsup

And go to all GC Recording Dpt and other big Music Gear Stores and explain the situation ..and tell them if somebody is asking for those Mic Power Supplies to get their info and call you.
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

This is devastating to read. My heart goes out to you.

You can recover, regardless of whether you get the gear back.

Don't despair!

- c
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Wow!

As a first grade teacher working with less than priviledged kids, I know that these thieves somehow went through the system with no morals or respect for their fellow man.

That is the part that makes me the sickest. All I can do is pray for you, that you can heal from this and something good can come from it. If I had millions, I would just take you out and buy it all back for you.

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. Good luck and keep your head up.
Old 25th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIEL View Post
Sorry Man, that happened to me as well when I just arrived to America...they left me with 75 cents and even took all my clothes!

I hope they can catch those idiots and that you can get all your gear back!

Really hope you will get all back very soon!

people are amazing. sorry you had to go through that, A....

Old 25th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmec View Post
I was insured when my studio was cleared by burglars of £43,000 worth, about fifteen
years ago.
I understand now that it was arranged by one of my Ex business partners and the New Zealand insurance company found a way out of compensating me in the small print of their policy, so don't beat your self up about insurance they are very unreliable when dealing with music business related claims.
They used the old but one of the buildings was secured with a three lever lock, this was in fact the only part of the buildings the thieves has not entered and there was no equipment in it.
I really hope you get your stuff back and I would be looking very hard at any business partners you may have/had, especially if they have developed an expensive powder habit as mine did.
Get a list up as soon as you can and we can all help looking, like we are for poor old Rene Hatt who is in a very similar position.
Keep a stiff upper thingy, there's a good chap!

Actually, we've used Clarion Insurance - specifically for music gear and instruments.

Our experience was they were EXCELLENT at promptly paying out claims for anything we had officially itemized on our policy (at appraised replacement value with serial numbers, etc., and all recently purchased un-itemized items that we had receipts for).

Of course, you need to submit a police report.

Again, though - they're SPECIFICALLY designed for music instruments and equipment, including all computers, etc.

Also, I believe they might still insure off-premises and international shipping theft and damage (again, designed for musicians travelling with gear and instruments, etc.)

I don't know if their policies have changed recently. But if they haven't, they ROCK.

AND, they're not crazy expensive, as far as insurance goes.

But, it sure is worth checking out. 1-800-VIVALDI.

Clarion Associates, Inc.| Insurance Firm dedicated to Musicians

Now, we have comprehensive home insurance, which covers all our gear and instruments, etc.

Cheers.
thumbsup

Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Thats SUCKS!

Really sorry to hear that. Probably that was the 2022 I traded you for your 2-1176 back in the day.

Good luck with everything.
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

DAAAAAAAMN dude, that's ****ED...all I gotta say is: "Karma is a mother****a for those people"

And good luck man
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Man you dont deserve that. Re-instating my policy today!!! Its amazing how caring you are about all of our situations in the middel of this!! Thank you for the advice!! Karma will handle it on both your sides!!!!
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Addict

Kerry,

Thank God you weren't hurt in the robbery. I'm in LB too and it's getting hairy these days... damn &%#*^%$ gang scum. There was a shooting at our local high school (I'm sure you know) after their homecoming football game and an innocent young girl was killed, just weeks ago. It makes my blood boil. I think they still haven't filled the vacant police job yet either... get on with it already. Bob Foster is a disappointing mayor IMO.

Anyway, sorry for the digression. I'll keep my eyes and ears open, although I'm not as likely to come across high end gear as others in the area but you never know.
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

KC, have you seen Craig's list reader?
It will let you search every state and country and give you a list.

CraigsList Reader - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

I have the free ware version, it used to be free but now they charge.
I can email the free one, its legal its just last years free ware. Its advertisment supported but now they charge $99.

Happy to email it.

Thought if your sitting on a web site you might like a multi state search application.
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by syra View Post
Thats SUCKS!

Really sorry to hear that. Probably that was the 2022 I traded you for your 2-1176 back in the day.

Good luck with everything.
Syra....

Yes... That was the one.... I really fell in love with it for the type of music I was doing.... Question?? Would u happen to have the serial for the 2022???

Thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search