The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Who would you trust with your "BABY" vintage U87 for a health checkup? Condenser Microphones
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
Klaus isn't taking on any new customers as far as I know.

James Gangwer was Klaus' right hand man in the Bay area and is more than capable of fixing any Neumann. He is the authorized Brauner repair tech in the US as well as authorized for Soundelux and other mic manufactures. His work is as good as Klaus' and he will work on mic's that Klaus won't touch. When Klaus would be repairing a Neumann for me James would be fixing a Sony C37A or rebuilding a Lomo for me, etc...

So James Gangwer is the man when you can't get Klaus.
I'll 2nd James' work. He did a great job fixing my Soundelux U99 a few years ago.
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisio View Post
Martin Gathard at Sennheiser UK has been working with Neumanns longer than a lot of the Neumann people, and worked wonders with a U87 for me. Turned it round in a couple of weeks too.
Yes - Martin Gathard is definitely the Neumann master.

He has been servicing Neumann mics for over 30 years and knows them better (especially the earlier models) than most people at Neumann Germany.
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Nut

I'm very happy with Martin Kantolas skills and services on my
U47 from -55. Even got a another capsule so I can swap between M7 and K47. +++++
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Addict

I use Klaus but I cant get him anymore... he so damn busy. You just have to hit him at the right time. And the bad economy doesn't slow him down- theres just not enough people doing what he does.

Funny story about Klaus-
I always say how much I like his work and a fellow engineer at my parent studio told me how let down they were with him. That they sent him a mic and it didn't sound much better when they got it back... Turns out the mic was FRANKENSTEINED and not original with crap work done prior and Klaus TOLD them this but they still wanted him to try... So FYI if you send him a pile of sh*t, you will get a pile of sh*t back- the core has to be worth saving. I just thought it was so wierd she was bitching about him! I guess the magic capsules he pulls from his ass stopped popping out that day...

+1 to the breath test. I did and my 87 was instantly sent to Klaus for overhaul and I decided to have him mod it- well worth it.

If yours need care badly, the breath test will show it right away.

The one thing I would ABSOLUTELY do even if you dont send them out, is find out WHICH side of the capsule sounds best... On those oldies, the backside is often much better sounding (less spit and wear).
Old 25th November 2009
Klaus is very friendly, I talked to him about repairing a collapsed capsule a couple weeks ago and he said he could do it.

Last time I had considered using Korby they wanted $150 hr. and it was a 8 week turn around. You could pay $500 hr. for a rush service.

I have no problems with Bill Bradley. Sorry Fletcher (and maybe others) had a bad experience with him. I'm sure his satisfied to dissatisfied customer ratio is 100 to 1.

Klaus was the most affordable, by several hundred dollars. And his turn around time was fast. PLUS he's not going to charge if can't fix or you're satisfied. He'd be my top choice if you can fit him in thumbsup
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Guru

I'll say it again - if it was my Neumann, Martin Gathard is the only person I would let touch it.
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Addict

Andreas Grosser is the man for mic repair he is very skilled honest and is an all around cool guy. Sigmund Thiersch does all the reskinning and cleaning of capsules for Andreas.

You can also check out these guys.
*****h&e**** Studiotechnik**********

they are also total pros.
Bigos
Old 25th November 2009
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
I used to trust Fred Cameron in Nashville, but he's dead
Unfortunately, I'm sorta in the same boat. I used to have John Vrtacic (RIP) do all service on my vintage Neumanns but he passed away this past summer :(

If anyone who happens across this thread can recommend someone in Canada (preferably Western Canada) I'd really appreciate it. My KM84 was shorting out last time I used it - like it was a loose connection and my 87 will most likely need a cleaning again soon at some point.
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
Unfortunately, I'm sorta in the same boat. I used to have John Vrtacic (RIP) do all service on my vintage Neumanns but he passed away this past summer :(

If anyone who happens across this thread can recommend someone in Canada (preferably Western Canada) I'd really appreciate it. My KM84 was shorting out last time I used it - like it was a loose connection and my 87 will most likely need a cleaning again soon at some point.
That is sad news, hadn't heard it. I spent a lot of time at The Armoury (which he maintained) in 2000 and he seemed like a nice fellow!!
Old 26th November 2009
Gear Nut

My U87 just failed the breath test.

I'm in Australia, and I can not seem to raise Gunter Wagner's website.

Has he closed up shop since he has run out of parts to build u47W?

Is there some one else in Australia I can send my u87 to?

Spigg
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

Gunter's phone #

(02) 99189738
Old 26th November 2009
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
That is sad news, hadn't heard it. I spent a lot of time at The Armoury (which he maintained) in 2000 and he seemed like a nice fellow!!
Ya, it was sad news. I just found out randomly through this site when I saw a couple of his old co-workers (proteges) post about it. Still sad about it. He actually was splitting his time between Armoury and Warehouse Studios, which I found kinda cool seeing that they are the 2 top tier rooms in the city that would be in competition with each other I'd imagine. But such are the times.Some studios have to share their Tech Services guys b/c it's too expensive to keep them on full-time I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by upinflames View Post
Klaus was the most affordable, by several hundred dollars. And his turn around time was fast. PLUS he's not going to charge if can't fix or you're satisfied. He'd be my top choice if you can fit him in thumbsup
Klaus was one guy who immediately came to mind, but I didn't really think about him because in the past I had read that he could be booked up for 6-12 months. I just can't wait that long having such a small compliment of mics. I'll have to look him up and give him a call.
Old 27th November 2009
Gear Nut

Thanks geareyes.

Spigg
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

I've only recently dealt with Tony @ Stephen Paul Audio, and he seems to be honest and pleasant to deal with, and knowledgeable of his mics. He is checked out my U67 and is currently servicing my C800g...
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

+3 Douglas Walker
Old 6th December 2009
Lives for gear

Here is the capsule that hasn't been cleaned since 1968!

BEFORE AND AFTER, first bath in 41 years. hehheh
Attached Thumbnails
Who would you trust with your "BABY" vintage U87 for a health checkup?-u87-capsule-1.jpg   Who would you trust with your "BABY" vintage U87 for a health checkup?-u87-back-side-capsule1.jpg   Who would you trust with your "BABY" vintage U87 for a health checkup?-after-u87-capsules-cleaned1.jpg  
Old 4th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNX View Post
Here is the capsule that hasn't been cleaned since 1968!

BEFORE AND AFTER, first bath in 41 years. hehheh
In the bottom picture. What's the difference between the two capsules. One is white plastic on top, the other is not
Old 4th November 2015
Lives for gear

The plastic one is a newer design than the metal one to the right. Plastic starts to come in the picture more so in that time. That is all.
Old 5th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkennaFuNkEn View Post
In the bottom picture. What's the difference between the two capsules. One is white plastic on top, the other is not
check this link

Sticky: How To Date A Neumann U87/U67 Capsule
Old 5th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen View Post
22 50 on mine the 3 at the bottom. could be either 83, or 93...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search