The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RODE NTK and SM57's What are the best tracking mic's for the money??
Old 20th November 2009
RODE NTK and SM57's What are the best tracking mic's for the money??

I'm doing rock demo stuff. I've only got two full channels. Heres my chain

Rode NTK and/or SM57 to an MA5 to an E27 to an empirical labs distressor (If needed) Lynx aurora - computer.

Do you guys think that i'm selling myself short with these cheap mics?

What are some great sounding mics for Rock and Alternative demo's?

Thanks!
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear
you are asking a question that is like asking what is better...an apple or a orange

plus this question is more geared toward the low end forum....

again those mics couldn't be more different and really have different applications. you should really research how these mics are used before you post.

the 57 is a staple and everyone should have at least one.

the ntk is a cool mic for the money but things drastically improve once you up your budget. can you record a convincing rock vocal on it...i would say yes

ej
Old 20th November 2009
Cool, sorry if my first post didn't make sense. I'm not asking whether i should use a 57 or a Rode.
I'm asking if my mic's aren't up to par with with my pre's eq and converters and if by using them i am handicapping myself?

I've heard that great preamps make certain inexpensive mics sound great, like the 57 and the ntk.

Do you think i should upgrade my mic's to the other high end gear justice?

thanks
Jake
Old 20th November 2009
anyone else got an opinion?

looking to find out if my mic's are up to par with my other gear
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

The mics are easily useable. Go have fun!!
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Head

Senn 441

Hi Jake...you did post this in High End. It has been my experience that for a dynamic mic, you will not go wrong with Sennheiser 441's. They are expensive, but by no means are they a one trick pony. Do a GS seach here and also do some homework...rent one, borrow one and listen for yourself. I use mine to track guitar amps, toms, bass amps, and can even be used as a vocal mic. Please don't get me wrong; I like my 57's and 421's, but the 441's run circles around them. IIRC, Stevie Nicks used one for her vocal mic. I have 4 that are used almost every session.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKETYLER View Post
Cool, sorry if my first post didn't make sense. I'm not asking whether i should use a 57 or a Rode.
I'm asking if my mic's aren't up to par with with my pre's eq and converters and if by using them i am handicapping myself?

I've heard that great preamps make certain inexpensive mics sound great, like the 57 and the ntk.

Do you think i should upgrade my mic's to the other high end gear justice?

thanks
Jake
eventually yes... an upgrade of sorts might be cool. it really depends on the source. there have been times that depending on the vocalist my ntk sounds better than any of my other mics...including my blue bottle (very rare but it has happened at least twice in the last 3 years). usually i go to it as a last resort.

it is hard to answer your question directly because it is really about the chain as a unit...a crappy mic with the right pre and comp can sound amazing...the inverse is also true...a great mic with the wrong pre or compressor can sound really bad...i feel that you have to find the combination that works for you.

then when you add different vocalist/sources the issue mutliplies.

if your chain sounds good to you then roll with it...it is rock and roll remember??

ej
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

do an upgrade when necessary, and trust me, you will know when your ready because that NTK will just not cover all your bases...

i recently sold my NTK and upgraded to a neumann tlm49 and peluso p12.

those are two great mics and now i feel that i am at a point where i need to upgrade again to a pearlman tm1 or wunder cm7......

honestly, if you stick with recording, there will barely be a time that your satisfied with your gear because you always could use more gear(i mean, shit man, this is gearslutz).

the important thing is to not let a lack of gear keep you from making great music.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear