The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Avedis MA-5 w/ E27 vs Lachapelle 583E?
Old 20th November 2009
Avedis MA-5 w/ E27 vs Lachapelle 583E?

I am in the market for two pre's and two Eqs. I'm just getting started and trying to get two really great Channels of preamp, EQ and conversion. I already own an Aurora 8, and am planning on using a distressor for compression in the begining.
I'm tracking mostly rock and alternative and will primarily be using these pres for vocals, acoustic and electric guitars, bass, piano and other various acoustic instruments.

Does anybody have an opinion for me?
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

i dont have hte Lachpell 583e, but i do have the 583s, and its a great pre. very smooth, and sounds great on vcls, acoustic instrumens, bass, and probably most other things.... very smooth.... Only thing i wanst crazy about it on was drums, but i might have been pushing it a bit too hard on the input....

Also have an avedis ma5 and e27. MA5 sounds great on most things. In fact, i havent found anything i dont like it on. E27 is also a great eq. My guess is youd be fine with either of the choices you put forth....
Old 20th November 2009
AH great, thanks for the reply. Do you think the MA5 and the E27 couple well?
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

i think they sound wonderfully together... that being said, I also love the e27 with the lachapell. Avedis is also a very nice and helpfull guy. i like supporting good people who make great products and stand by them....
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbryn11 View Post
i think they sound wonderfully together... that being said, I also love the e27 with the lachapell. Avedis is also a very nice and helpfull guy. i like supporting good people who make great products and stand by them....
Totally agree about Avedis being a great guy, but I'd also like to say that Scott's a great guy as well.

Regarding the 583e, the eq is nice but it's not the most versitile or extreme. If you want a feel good eq the 583e is great but if you're looking to really boost or cut frequencies the e27 is the one you want.
Old 20th November 2009
Excellent, thanks for the advice. I'm going to go with the Ma5 E27 combo then. Thanks for the help guys!

Jake
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

I am using an ma5 and e27 pair here - have not used the EQ's a lot as they are still really new but they sound awesome. I am working on a album for my band and used API for the drums and all ma5 for the rest (gtrs, vocals, bass, keys). Got up to 90 tracks per song and the Avedis is stacking up great!

I have owned p1, BAE 312a, Great River me1nv, UA610 - the ma5 is my favorite now. I love it for vocals especially. All those pres were great - would not mind a Great River again too!
Old 20th November 2009
Wow, thats great, seems like the MA5s are holding up really well against all of those great pre's.
I wonder if the EQs are really necessary or if i might be better off buying 4 or 5 pre's for the same total price
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
Totally agree about Avedis being a great guy, but I'd also like to say that Scott's a great guy as well.
True, i was gonna add that as well. Scott's also a stand up Guy... And his pre is amazing! Would love to try the EQ section one of these days...
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear