The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is there a studio like this in the US?
Old 20th November 2009
  #1
Lives for gear
 
loveinoctober's Avatar
Is there a studio like this in the US?

Hi,

I'm a big fan of Gula Studion (The Yellow Studio) in Malmo, Sweden Gula Studion, the Music Recording Studio . The music that comes out of there sounds incredible. If I could track the I would, but I'm located in the US (Chicago) and couldn't afford going overseas to track. Does anybody know of any studios with a similar room (120 sq m = 1292 sq ft and high ceilings) and board ( Neve 8014, 16x1066, 2x2254 ) and mic list.

Microphones
AKG C-414 B-ULS (x2)
AKG D-12 (x2)
AKG D-224E (x2)
Audix D1
Audix D2 (x2)
Audix D4
Audix D6 (x2)
Bang & Olufsen BM3 (x2)
Brauner Phantom
Calrec 1050 (x3)
Gefell MV-690, M94 (x2)
Gefell MV-692, UM70 (x2)
Gefell UM-900 Milab VM-41 (x2)
Neumann Gefell CMV 563, M7
Neumann KM56
Neumann SM2
Neumann SM69 FET
Neumann U47 (x2)
Neumann U87
Placid Audio Copperphone
Reslo Ribbon (x2)
RFT 7151, Neumann M7
Rode NT-2 (x2)
Royer R-121 (x3)
Sela T-25
Sennheiser MD-421 (x6)
Sennheiser MD-441 (x2)
Sennheiser MKH-105 (x2)
Shure SM-57 (x4)
Shure Beta-56 (x2)
T-bone RB-500 (x2)
Wagner U47w (x2)

Thanks for the recommendations in advance.
Old 20th November 2009
  #2
In Toronto: Phase One Studios - Recording | Mixing | Mastering

In Chicago: Electrical Audio - Studio A

also Cherry Beach Sound-Toronto recording studio-Studio Floor

In Indianapolis: The Lodge Recording Studios - Studio A

In New Haven CT: Firehouse 12 : Live Performance Space

In Tornillo TX: Neve tracking room - Big space to recording

In Athol ID: cider mountain recorders destination recording studio - north idaho

There are of course many more in North America (about 50 give or take) that have at least a 1200 sq ft live room, and of those more than half have a decent console (API, Neve, SSL, or equiv)

Coming to Pittsboro NC in 2010: Manifold Recording

Best of luck in your search!
Old 20th November 2009
  #3
member no 666
 
Fletcher's Avatar
Most of the good ones have better mic collections... in Chicago alone there are several great studios... never mind NY, Nashville, Miami, LA, Seattle, etc., etc., etc.
Old 20th November 2009
  #4
Lives for gear
 
plexisys's Avatar
 

Nice looking place but nothing particularly outstanding. I can think of a dozen places in the US that have much better rooms and gear.
Old 20th November 2009
  #5
Lives for gear
 
loveinoctober's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Most of the good ones have better mic collections... in Chicago alone there are several great studios... never mind NY, Nashville, Miami, LA, Seattle, etc., etc., etc.
I don't agree with the mic statement...it's subjective. Many of those high end studios listed seem to be designed to produce very sleek commercial music. I'm just not impressed with the sounds that come out of many of the high end places I guess. I don't think I'm on the same page musically as most high end slutz in this forum.
Old 20th November 2009
  #6
Lives for gear
 
loveinoctober's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
In Toronto: Phase One Studios - Recording | Mixing | Mastering

In Chicago: Electrical Audio - Studio A

also Cherry Beach Sound-Toronto recording studio-Studio Floor

In Indianapolis: The Lodge Recording Studios - Studio A

In New Haven CT: Firehouse 12 : Live Performance Space

In Tornillo TX: Neve tracking room - Big space to recording

In Athol ID: cider mountain recorders destination recording studio - north idaho

There are of course many more in North America (about 50 give or take) that have at least a 1200 sq ft live room, and of those more than half have a decent console (API, Neve, SSL, or equiv)

Coming to Pittsboro NC in 2010: Manifold Recording

Best of luck in your search!
The Neve tracking room is pretty sick!
Old 20th November 2009
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Clinton studio a in ny

n
Old 20th November 2009
  #8
Lives for gear
 
BB Bill's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnajar View Post
Clinton studio a in ny

n
Mission Sound in Brooklyn, NY
Old 20th November 2009
  #9
Moderator
 
narcoman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinoctober View Post
I don't agree with the mic statement...it's subjective. Many of those high end studios listed seem to be designed to produce very sleek commercial music. I'm just not impressed with the sounds that come out of many of the high end places I guess. I don't think I'm on the same page musically as most high end slutz in this forum.
that's silly. You get out what you put in. Check some of the places Jack White has recorded in for example. Look where Loretta Lynns album was done - you'll get the picture! ... FFS Charlotte Churchs - Crazy Chick - was done at your fave studio.... and that's clean and polished beyond the pale!! You get what you bring!! I know Tore Johansson is in there quite a bit - and he's made a huge array of different styles. I think you're confusing the sonic capabilities of a place with artistic desires of artists who've worked there. Yes - you need the right live room, and yes there are certain pieces of kit that impart a certain sound - but there are hundreds of studios like the one you adore in the USA and most with that run of the mill mic collection plus several awesome pieces!!. Many in LA !!

Steve Albinis place is awesome - very simple but great. Electrical that is....

Mercenary audios place is full of all the right stuff too. As for mix collections - Just about any LA studio will have all you mentioned plus more. My own studio has a similar equipment list to the studio you like - but we;re UK

oh - and stop being so fekkin arrogant!! Not on the same page......heh
Old 20th November 2009
  #10
Old 20th November 2009
  #11
tekis
Guest
Trout Recording in Brooklyn, NY...

...has a sweet 8014, tons of great mics, cool tape machines, high ceilings and the personnel that know how to use them!


Trout Recording . Brooklyn, NY
Old 20th November 2009
  #12
Gear Nut
 

It's not the equipment in Gula Studion that makes the music that comes out of there, it's the people that opperate the equipment..

I know it sounds cliché, but it's true..
Old 20th November 2009
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
I can vouch for this room, I worked there a lot when they first opened. It's an old masonic hall with vibe for days. Great API console and lots of good gear *and* comfortable. They also used to have a Trident 80B in the B room but I think they ditched it for a pro-tools suite.
Old 21st November 2009
  #14
Gear Maniac
 
hank alrich's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinoctober View Post
I don't agree with the mic statement...it's subjective. Many of those high end studios listed seem to be designed to produce very sleek commercial music. I'm just not impressed with the sounds that come out of many of the high end places I guess. I don't think I'm on the same page musically as most high end slutz in this forum.
I think you're confusing plant with practice. Shitty sound can be made in any studio. But if the room is good and the gear excellent and in good order there is no reason you couldn't go there with an engineer whose style you appreciate and come out with the sounds you want.
Old 21st November 2009
  #15
Lives for gear
 
jamwerks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinoctober View Post

Thanks for the recommendations in advance.
So you're looking for a studio with Audix, Rode and T-bone mics?
Old 21st November 2009
  #16
Gear Maniac
 
Resis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinoctober View Post
Hi,

I'm a big fan of Gula Studion (The Yellow Studio) in Malmo, Sweden Gula Studion, the Music Recording Studio . The music that comes out of there sounds incredible. If I could track the I would, but I'm located in the US (Chicago) and couldn't afford going overseas to track. Does anybody know of any studios with a similar room (120 sq m = 1292 sq ft and high ceilings) and board ( Neve 8014, 16x1066, 2x2254 ) and mic list.

Microphones
AKG C-414 B-ULS (x2)
AKG D-12 (x2)
AKG D-224E (x2)
Audix D1
Audix D2 (x2)
Audix D4
Audix D6 (x2)
Bang & Olufsen BM3 (x2)
Brauner Phantom
Calrec 1050 (x3)
Gefell MV-690, M94 (x2)
Gefell MV-692, UM70 (x2)
Gefell UM-900 Milab VM-41 (x2)
Neumann Gefell CMV 563, M7
Neumann KM56
Neumann SM2
Neumann SM69 FET
Neumann U47 (x2)
Neumann U87
Placid Audio Copperphone
Reslo Ribbon (x2)
RFT 7151, Neumann M7
Rode NT-2 (x2)
Royer R-121 (x3)
Sela T-25
Sennheiser MD-421 (x6)
Sennheiser MD-441 (x2)
Sennheiser MKH-105 (x2)
Shure SM-57 (x4)
Shure Beta-56 (x2)
T-bone RB-500 (x2)
Wagner U47w (x2)

Thanks for the recommendations in advance.
You don't listen to the equipment, you listen through the equipment.

B.S.
Old 22nd November 2009
  #17
member no 666
 
Fletcher's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinoctober View Post
I don't agree with the mic statement...it's subjective. Many of those high end studios listed seem to be designed to produce very sleek commercial music. I'm just not impressed with the sounds that come out of many of the high end places I guess. I don't think I'm on the same page musically as most high end slutz in this forum.
With a gear list like this I don't see how you could make that statement. The list of pedestrian tools on this list seems to be "by, for, and about" making quasi-slick / budget oriented commercial music... but at the end of the day it will still be a product of the artist / production team's sense of aesthetic.

It ain't the gear my friend, its the engineer. There is a difference between working around a mediocre tool set to come up with something that suits your sense of aesthetic and working with a quality tool set to achieve your production goals with as little focus on the tools as possible.

"Sleek commercial music" is a production value which is designed by the "production team". The tools set is merely there to enable the production team to accomplish their production goals. Using "Melodyne" with a "003" rig in a mediocre studio will be different from using "Melodyne" in an "HD" rig how? Having the singer sing the song without the perceived need for software tuning? ---PRICELESS---

You can make a genius "punk" record at Ocean Way or Avatar or Sear Sound or Blackbird or Abbey Rd. or [fill in the blanks] with the greatest gear on earth if you have the production sense to make it sound like a relevant punk record... the gear ain't gonna get in the way. You'd have a hell of a hard time making a Mark Knopfler record on a 003 in your Mom's basement... but that too could be done. At the end of the day you'd probably have to "work around" most of the tools... but the music will be the music no matter what.

It is our job to capture the essence of the artist and translate their intention to a listening audience in a manner conducive with the artist's intent. Having a quality tool set is a means to an end and lets you think about the machinery less... having the skills to perform that translation of the artists' intent is the hard part... having the skills to perform that translation while employing less than stellar tools is harder still... but doable for the talented and experienced... and not so much for talent challenged and unexperienced of our profession.

Peace.
Old 23rd November 2009
  #18
Moderator
 
narcoman's Avatar
 

elegantly put.
📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump