The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
B&W Matrix 801 AMPLIFIER suggestion??
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

B&W Matrix 801 AMPLIFIER suggestion??

I have a B&w matrix 801 S2 coming in the mail soon and need an amp!! I tried searching, but the 'titles only' search option is screwed right now. I need the most flat, uncolored, accurate amp I can get, No frills - just pure translation.
Lets say I toss on a 600 watt crown amp from gutair center!?!??! Is a boutique really gonna make a difference?? The only specs I can find were on series III- they say 300 wattts max on each speaker at 8 ohms. I have a series 2, same wattage specs??? Thanks a lot.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbakron View Post
I have a B&w matrix 801 S2 coming in the mail soon and need an amp!! I tried searching, but the 'titles only' search option is screwed right now. I need the most flat, uncolored, accurate amp I can get, No frills - just pure translation.
Lets say I toss on a 600 watt crown amp from gutair center!?!??! Is a boutique really gonna make a difference?? The only specs I can find were on series III- they say 300 wattts max on each speaker at 8 ohms. I have a series 2, same wattage specs??? Thanks a lot.
Adcom 555. Designed by Nelson Pass. No bullshit no frills just damn clean power for days. I have a 535 I use with some DM602s and it sounds absolutely fantastic.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Adcom

thumbsup
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

I just checked the website and it seems the highest 2 channel amp is 200 watts per channel. Or am I trippin?? I need 300 watts per channel at 8ohms.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

I have the same speakers.I highly recommend this company.They make a wide range of amps.Abbey Road studios recently upgraded all their poweramps with the massive monoblocks but you dont really need those.

I have the ca 2100. 100 per side bi-wired othe B&W's.

Classé- Product Specifications

Expensive but I doubt you will ever want to hear another amp after you get it....unless unfortunately you hear their bigger siblings.It's as good as it gets I'm pretty sure.

Classé Audio manufactures home theater and hi fi systems for audiophiles and videophiles including digital tuners, surround sound processors, DVD players, and multi-channel amplifiers.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

I would recommend Bryston 4BST. I have B&W 801's and use it with a Yamaha P2700 which you can get used for $400, it still sounds really good, but the Bryston is in another league.
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Head

I also highly recommend checking out the Classé gear
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Or find a used NAD 208...
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Classé is part of the B&W group now so you'll see lots of B&W 80x series speakers paired with those amps (the US distro was even running some deals as a package pair for studios.) Abbey took advantage of that when they went to newer versions of the 800 series as did many others (I can't remember but the discounting was something like 40% off at one point direct from the B&W artist relations/pr group)

Personally, I liked the Brystons better with the 80x series (and that felt pretty standard as a pairing prior to B&W's acquisition of Classé) Another recommendation would be the McIntosh Amps which sound great with the 800/802 group of speakers. A few mastering engineers in LA have the McIntosh/B&W 800/802 setups and they sound great.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

All good recommendations...the Bryston 4b etc.Very hard go wrong with the 4b.Bryston offers a 20 year warranty?Who can offer that!!!??

I think industry discounts do not imply a lack of quality with Classe if thats what you may be inferring.Electrocompaniet I believe was the former amp at Abbey road and formerly part of the B&W group as well.True... there is some audio nepotism but it's all about staying competitive.Funny enough,my next door neighbor who is divorcing gave me the Electrocompaniet integrated amp for free a few weeks after he sold me the 801's for $200.They match up very well but the amp is a bit more relaxed sounding or soft and forgiving... mellow to the more linear detail of the Classe.Detailed but not too clinical.
Old 20th November 2009
Here for the gear

Years ago, a friend of mine was putting together a home audiophile system. He originally had a pair of 801's powered by a Bryston 4B. The 801's were uninspiring and could have easily been dismissed until he brought in an Audio Research pre amp and Main. I think this was a Basic 50 Tube series. The difference was not subtle. Deep defined lows that you could feel in your chest. Incredible detail across the full spectrum.
As this was over 10 years ago the exact details are a little fuzzy but my recolection is that the 801's really come alive with a quality tube based pre/amp section. This is however not a cheap solution

link from the Mastering section which you may find helpfull

http://https://www.gearslutz.com/boar...tml?highlight=
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Halcro amps if you have the loot. The dm-38 is the cheapest and put out around 180 watts/channel. If that is too rich, Bryston rarely disappoints.
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Head

I recommend the Rotel 1080. It's 200 WPC at 8 ohms, but that should be adequate for your speakers. I know you'd prefer 300 WPC, but the difference in power is not that large.
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Addict

don't go with classe, slow, wolly imho. bryston, pass-labs, emitter are great. bigger linn amps too.

never understood why ppl use b&w with classe. its just because the companies belong together, but sonically its not a match.
Old 21st November 2009
Classe, Bryston, or Hypex would do the trick.
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Addict

I tried a Rotel amp (I can't recall the number now). Then I tried a Musical Fidelity amp and really liked it. It combined detail with an ever so slight reduction in (what I perceived) as a slight shrillness (too detailed?) coming out of the high end.

This is for home listening use.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

you can use a Rotel, NAD or Bryston amp.

But a Classé, Audio Reasearch, Krell, Levinson or Pass will turn them into completely new (and truly awesome) speakers. Night and Day. B&W 800 series, even the small 805, demand high-quality electronics.
Old 22nd November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlheinz View Post
I think industry discounts do not imply a lack of quality with Classe if thats what you may be inferring.
Oh, not implying that at all. Just explaining why you'll see in recent years more Classe/B&W combos. (BTW, that discount wasn't just on the amp, it was on the B&W speakers and offered at the same rate on the Classe. It made a very easy/quick way of competing with active speaker sets for B&W.)
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Makes perfect sense.\\

Someone commented ......classe, slow, wolly imho.

???...really ????

No big deal but that is not my experience...but YMMV
Old 23rd November 2009
Gear Nut

Bryston but I'm sure there's better

Hello to the OP

I have the same speakers, series II, and I'm driving them with a VERY old (~25 year) Bryston 4B. It's fine but I'm sure they haven't reached their full potential, could be better with a new Bryston 4B (I think protection circuitry has been upgraded and redesigned), and even better with the ones people mention here like the Threshold, Classé, or Adcom.

I've read quite few comments saying one should use a solid state amp for the 801s, not tube amps.

Let us know what you went for.

Peace
Old 26th April 2010
Gear Head

Ok, so there is way too much conflicting info out there. I thought i'd post in this thread because my issue is very similiar. I've got a b&w 801 series 80 pair that needs some amplification. Will the adcom 555 sound good? Some people say it's amazing. Some people say they need to be modified. What's the truth?

Currently using a crown d150
Old 26th April 2010
Lives for gear

a lot of this comes down to how the amp is fed (AC power) and how cool you can keep it....

there needs to be more information on your system....

excellent amps are offered by

Krell
Mark Levinson
Pass labs
Bryston
and a vast array of others

but the real limiting factor is on demand current and capacity to cool....the 801 series deserves a proper install...when I set-up systems of this quality...I always pick the amp first...and then a speaker that goes with it...I know that doesn't help you out right now, but trying to tailor an amp to something you already have is difficult....you might not have budgeted dedicated clean circuits for the amp, and may not have built in adequate cooling for what your speakers/amp need...

I think a used pair of Krell ksa series monoblocks, will fit really nice...as will some used levinson mono blocks....but be prepared to spend what you ahve spent on the speakers....

it doesn't make sense (IMO) to buy speakers in this price range and then skimp on an amp...that is backwards...if you are going to run a crown pro-audio amp, what is the purpose of these speakers....that's kind of like hooking up generator to a house with lamp wire....

not trying to be rude at all, just food for thought...
Old 26th April 2010
Lives for gear

i have the B&W 808 (that's two 801's in one enclosure)
the only amp i heard that was really really good,
was a Meyer Sound MS-1000A
(that's a PA amplifier 2x650W)
the only problem was the noise of the 4 fans !!

but i would try finding a good PA amp like :
MC2
Labgruppen
Yamaha
Crest

i think my next amp will be a Hypex dual mono 700 (self build)

(now i use 2 big Onkyo Integra's)
Old 26th April 2010
Lives for gear

Ideally you want an amp which is considerably more than the speaker's power rating, and is also rated at being able to run at a lower impedance than the speaker requires. All speakers actually dip beneath their rated impedance at some frequencies, and while most amps are fine running just under their 'minimum' impedance, it's still best to have an amp which is quoted at being able to deliver power at say 6Ω or even 4Ω.

I like Bryston's amplification - a pair of 7Bsst monoblocks will be able to deliver PLENTY of power.
Old 26th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Electrocompaniet AW250R

Electrocompaniet AW250R is a fantastic amp with lots of power.
Old 26th April 2010
Gear Head

Ok. Good responses, however..... I understand the theory behind having an amazing amplifier feeding these, but some of you make it seem like the amp is determining weather the speaker will be any good. Even with this crown, these speakers blow away what I had before, dyn audio bm5a. Already there is a fuller range sound. So I know I should get huge bryston monoblocks, logic could give me that, but if I wanted to still have money to buy food, would the adcom or something similar give good performance?
Old 26th April 2010
Gear Nut

I'm using 802's with a bryston 4b and it sounds awesome! No complaints at all!
Old 26th April 2010
Gear Head

Is that the standard 4b or the st or sst? Any audible differences between them?
Old 27th April 2010
Nrt
Lives for gear

Analog amps? No way. Any amps with B&O Ice module sounds better than almost of all of analog amps. Better than Briston, PASS, Levinson, Krell... And much less expensive.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear