The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Please help b&w 801!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Please help b&w 801!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a used pair B&W's matrix 801 in sights from this one guy, heres the deal. He says there is a slight DEPRESSION on one of the tweeters. He says there is no way it effects the sound, Is this possible?? Im guessing its just the center part of the tweeter where I could take a small vaacuum cleaner and pop it back out, or leave it if sound is not affected. I kind of need to act fast on this, so any help is really appreciated.
Old 19th November 2009
Here for the gear

Hello,
I had same problem once with one tweeter on my linn loudspeakers. The sound on axis haden't changed, but the sound off axis wasen't the same (the space dispersion was modified by the depression on the cone). And at loud level, there was a little disortion added. And don't try to change it with a vacuum in the kind of tweeter you have in a 801.
Depending on the price asked for the 801, it can be anyway interesting to buy it and just buy a spare tweeter directly to B&W.

The best should be to listen to the loudspeakers, you will imediatly see if the sound is wrong or not.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

I'm not familiar with the 801's tweeter, but I've successfully fixed depressed domes with a little console tape (the not-very-sticky white stuff you write the channel names on on an analog console). Blue or green masking tape might work too:

- Gently brush the tape into the depression, so that you maximize contact in the concave depression.

- Then pull the tape at an angle, not straight out. Straight out will often just pull the tape off, but pulling at an angle kind of leverages the shear strength of the adhesive to get the dome moving. Once it's moving it will usually pop right out.

- Older paper cones don't always stay fixed but soft dome tweeters and poly woofer dust caps seem to work like new after the their shape is restored.

Proceed with caution! Your mileage may vary. Offer not good on weekends and holidays. Discontinue use if you have blurred vision of a sudden loss of blood pressure... etc.

Jeff D
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear