The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anybody in here work on the Tonight Show? Drum shield question...
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Anybody in here work on the Tonight Show? Drum shield question...

I am in a situation where I need to knock down some of the sheer volume of a drum kit on stage... but the shields needs to be darn near invisible (for TV broadcast). The one currently used on the Tonight Show is the best one I have seen (almost didn't see it).

Anybody know the deal on that?

Thanks in advance!
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

It all gets down to lighting and how clean it is.

You're screwed if it's scratched, cracked, scuffed, etched...old or mistreated, basically. And if the theatre/venue has high levels of particulate matter floating around in the air will make keeping the bloody thing clean a bitch. Where I work - NOT the Tonight Show - we use the same glass cleaner they use on cockpit windows - aviation glass cleaner - with a microfiber cloth. make sure everything is lint-free and doesn't leave a residue.

One thing I like about putting the drummer behind this acoustical sneeze-guard is that the reflections tend to have the effect of making loud drummers more dynamic.

my $0.02
good luck!
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Hey Steve. There's a company right up the road from us that makes them; here's a link...

ClearSonic Panel
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

yup, that's the one we use.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Polarizing filters are not just for shooting outdoors. :-)
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

On a related note, the improvement in sound quality of the Tonight Show has been quite noticeable over the last many weeks (compared to when it first started). I wonder what they figured out
Old 20th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug hazelrigg View Post
On a related note, the improvement in sound quality of the Tonight Show has been quite noticeable over the last many weeks (compared to when it first started). I wonder what they figured out
The sound mixer is a good friend of mine and he called me several weeks ago after sitting in my living room listening to a mix of the band performing that night on the show. He had expected this thundering low end which is what sounded huge in his control room. What we heard during during the broadcast was very different (small, no low end, etc.). Together, he and I discussed the situation over the phone and found that whoever setup that room didn't properly tune his 5.1 system's low end (they had the sub cranked to max so he was dialing out a ton of low end in everything and making it sound great in the room). We fixed that problem and the sound quality increased exponentially.

It definitely wasn't his fault, he was trusting the mix that he was hearing in the room (which I've been fortunate enough to be invited to on numerous occasions). Once we solved the problem all is well.
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
The sound mixer is a good friend of mine and he called me several weeks ago after sitting in my living room listening to a mix of the band performing that night on the show. He had expected this thundering low end which is what sounded huge in his control room. What we heard during during the broadcast was very different (small, no low end, etc.). Together, he and I discussed the situation over the phone and found that whoever setup that room didn't properly tune his 5.1 system's low end (they had the sub cranked to max so he was dialing out a ton of low end in everything and making it sound great in the room). We fixed that problem and the sound quality increased exponentially.

It definitely wasn't his fault, he was trusting the mix that he was hearing in the room (which I've been fortunate enough to be invited to on numerous occasions). Once we solved the problem all is well.
lol... any chance that despite our not so cheery interactions in the past you would ask where they got the drum shield they are using... and what if any special angles they set up to make it so nearly invisible?

Thanks!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear