The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
storage case for pair of AEA R84 mics?
Old 19th November 2009
storage case for pair of AEA R84 mics?

I have a pair of AEA R84 mics that I really enjoy.

What is a favorite storage case?

I've been thinking I might get a Pelican 1600 but I'm curious if I've over looked a better alternative.

thanks,
mike
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

aea makes a case for two r84's with room for the trp....

however, you do not have to keep the trp with them.
Old 19th November 2009
Yes, I was aware of the the kit they used to offer. I asked them a year ago when I was preparing to purchase the mics and they seemed indecisive and indicated that they did not often stock or supply the cases.

That's what got me looking at the Pelican cases.

I've been using the mics so much that it didn't matter... but now I'd like to make arrangements to store them safely.

Thanks,
mike
Old 19th November 2009
FWIW I ordered a Pelican 1440 top loading case.

The handle and wheels are over kill for storing and transporting mics. If the mics fit real nice I plan to remove the handle and maybe the wheels.

If someone does have a better suggestion please post it for reference etc. :-)

best regards,
mike
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Nut

Best thing for a ribbon is a custom insert in a Pelican or ATA case. How are your transporting the mics? Checked baggage, UPS, just around town etc.... -Billy
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Addict

The pelican case should be fine. I did purchase the AEA system with 2 R84s and the TRP in the case. The case is the exact same Chinese case that is used by a lot of custom mic builders (got the exact same case with my Pearlman mic). Not sure of the source, but apparently its a pretty common and assumably low cost case. Each cuts the inside foam to fit their product.

There is one downside to the AEA case. Even their own literature suggests is a good idea to store the mics in a vertical position when not in use to avoid ribbon sag. However, then you have the case sitting in its normal position, they are horizontal and not vertical. I'm sure they'd suggest the case is only for transporting, but when I'm not using them, I like to keep them in the case which means I have to stand the case on its side so they sit in a vertical position, and there is a strap hook so it is wobbly when sitting on its side. Not a deal breaker, but if your Pelican allows you to store your R84s in a vertical position when in the case, it would be a plus.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Fan of Seahorse cases here, less expensive than Pelican !
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear