The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dangerous DBox to ?
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Dangerous DBox to ?

Hello fellow GS! It's time to make another purchase!

Right now I have outgrown my DBox. It has treated me well but now that I have more outboard gear it's time to use the 8 analog output channels of the BLA Digi 003.

Contenders are the following in order of gimme:

1. Midas Venice 160
2. Speck Xtramix
3. SSL XDesk
4. Speck X.Sum
5. Dangerous 2Bus LT

Work Flow:

I am now stemming 8 channels through the Rosetta into the DBox. I patch outboard after the Rosetta and before the DBox and Also after the DBox Sum output before going back Into DAW.

Things I absolutely need:

1. More Stems!!! (16) 6 stereo 4 Mono
2. Plenty of Headroom
3. Transparent (or "Good" color)
4. Rackable (No Desk Room)

Things that are making me look more at mixers than summing boxes:

1. Switchable Master Insert
2. Way to feed Converter Inputs (Recording)
3. Flexibilty
4. Effects Roughting
5. EQs
6. Stereo inputs with pan and volumn controls
7. Routing Busses

All in all the Speck X.Sum looks like the ticket because it has 32 inputs and 2 Mix busses. This will give me the 6 stereo outs and 4 mono outs and I will still have 6 stereo stems left over. The only thing is for every outboard effects send OTB is one less summing channel.

Delima:

I just paid off my sweetwater card and it has a 3K limit on it. I have no cash. Damn you Aurora Audio! I can swing the Midas Venice now and have everything I need now but.......I feel I will eventually outgrow the Mida Venice and be upgrading later.

HELP ME BROTHERS! I CAN'T SLEEP AT NIGHT KNOWING I HAVE 3K TO SPEND!

Again I when I started off I only wanted to sum 16 channels instead of 8 but now knowing what's out there... it's hard for me to buy another summing box and not have the flexibility that other boxes offer.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

i dont think i understand...

your using a digi003, then how could you outgrow the d-box?????

you only have 8 outs and thus don't need a summing mixer with more than 8 channels, right????

why would you purchase something with more than 8 channels to run with a digi003???????
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post

you only have 8 outs and thus don't need a summing mixer with more than 8 channels, right????

why would you purchase something with more than 8 channels to run with a digi003???????
My thoughts exactly.

- c
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Nut

If I am reading his post correctly, it appears he is using a Digi 003 in conjunction with a Rosetta 800.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

???? The 003 has 18 ins and 18 outs. I have a modded 003 from black lions + Rosetta 800 and I use spdif going into the DBox. I do not use spdif in on 003 although I am going to invest in a dedicated stereo ADC/DAC (Rosetta 200 maybe). I am not scared to use the 8 analog outs anymore especially after running test after test after test. I will not use the analog outs for the more important stems but the 4 stereo stems are kinda limited.

I have also made the decision that once I go out of the analog outs of the 003 into more juicier outboard gear then the quality I loose going out of the DAC of the 003 will be worth it going into outboard and then into an analog mixer.

Then I go back into PT through the Rosetta to record onto the 2Track.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

i thought the best you could get the digi002/003 even with the BLA mod (which i have and love) is 18 ins and 8 outs at 44.1-48 or 10 in and 8 out at 88.2-96

am i wrong in assuming that you can get more than 8 outs with 002/3's????
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
i thought the best you could get the digi002/003 even with the BLA mod (which i have and love) is 18 ins and 8 outs at 44.1-48 or 10 in and 8 out at 88.2-96

am i wrong in assuming that you can get more than 8 outs with 002/3's????
Don't know what you are doing wrong with your interface

At 48k, "I" have full 18ins and 18outs "but" I only use 18outs and 16ins.

I use to run the 8 analog outs to the tascam 1884 ADC and then adat into the mackie d8b and straight into the d8b from 003 adat. I then mixed 16 stems on the d8b sending out of the d8b through the Rosetta 800 to outboard and then back into the Rosetta 800 to the last 8 adat ins on the d8b.<-------24 tape ins.

I know alot of people down talk the Mackie d8b but the flexibility I had with it was awsome! I never used the ADC on it and only the DAC for listening while tracking/mixing but I could also avoid conversion by the d8b by running out of the d8b spdif to the 003 spdif in and then back out spdif to the DBox for mixing. I also used it as a digital patch bay having the ability to rought any of the 24 adat channels to the 8 ADAT ins on the 003. It had the apogee clock in it and was clocked by word clock coming from the Rosetta.

I recently purchased a c24 but sold it for more money than I paid for it to someone who loved it more than I did.

I was very very very very very close to buying a Toft ATB24 but I am waiting on the imaginary console that is a daw controller as well like the Matrix but more than a line mixer and not some crazy price like 20k!

Maybe I will just sell my left kidney and get a SSL 900 but for now I will stick with the summing idea
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Come on guys help me pull the trigger!
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Addict

Stick with the dbox and buy more outboard. I really doubt you'll hear a big difference between summing 8 ch otb vs 16 channels otb. Spend the money on nice bus comp or 2bus eq. IMO that'll bring far more warmth to 8ch of dbox summed audio than summing 16 channels because you have the io capabilities.

Fwiw I have an AURORA 16 and a dbox and I have never thought I have outgrown the dbox.

Unless you can afford a chandler mini mixer, an equinox, or a fat bustard I would even think twice.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

1. Lead Vox stem (Stereo) to 2 160X linked
2. Back Vox stems (Stereo) to Rnc
3. Drums + Perc (Stereo) to Rnc
3. Bass to Avalon 737 (Channel 7)
4. Kick to API 512c + API550b (Channel 8)

Oh shtttt What about the Rest of the music?
Oh shtttt What about sends for lexiton?
Oh shttttt What about synth groups to my non existing eqs?
Oh shtttt I still have the 2 GR 500 to drive the synths?
Oh shtttt I still have another set of Rnc that I could use?
Oh shtttt I have a set of Rnl?
Oh man what about my Dirty ASR-10 effects?

5. Better go back and group more of this stuff......but the setting of the gear doesn't match everything....Shtttt what to do????
6. Direct output that stuff i/o to the gear and back into PT on there on seperate channel and monitor through spdif out.
7. Process again with another DAC/ADC becuase I couldn't do everything I needed to do OTB. tutt

Why would I start buying more outboard when I don't have a way of using the gear that I do have without grouping everything together?

Again I am not just summing but applying outboard to the stems before the sum. I am trying to get MORE OTB and I just cannot do that with 8 stems! Another reason why I started looking at mixers with eqs.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

I say get a TOFT ATB 24.

More dough than you have I know, but sounds like the only thing that could get you to where you want. You'll also have the extra channels to grow into. Use those in the mean time as efx returns so they can be treated with eq's and what not.

P.S. I;d trade the rosetta in for a SSL Alphalink. More channels for you to grow into! You wont be back here in a year saying you've out grown it!
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipps View Post
I say get a TOFT ATB 24.

More dough than you have I know, but sounds like the only thing that could get you to where you want. You'll also have the extra channels to grow into. Use those in the mean time as efx returns so they can be treated with eq's and what not.
Lol I always come back to the Toft 24! I tell myself yep that is what I need but........no room to put it and no wallet to pull the money from.

This is the reason the Midas Venice 160 has caught my interest because it has usable eq's and fits in the rack. I can get it now but I know that I will outgrow it as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipps View Post
P.S. I;d trade the rosetta in for a SSL Alphalink. More channels for you to grow into! You wont be back here in a year saying you've out grown it!
My sales Rep at sweetwater "Don B." told me about the SSL Alpha link years ago when I was purchasing the Rosetta. I did not see myself going HD anytime soon and the extra 16 channels at that time made no sense to me. I didn't have a clue what MADI was and yes the SSL Alpha is a steal for anyone needing over 8 channels of conversion. I am way happy with my converter but I have given thought of using the SSL Alpha link in conjuction with the Mackie d8b for roughting in and out gear to the summing mixer. But then though naw I am not going to be using this Mackie much longer.......................

I guess what I really want is a 24 channel controller for Nuendo that has in-line scribble strips, in-line metering bridge, monitoring station with A,B and/or+C (sub-woofer) speaker select, 16+ summing mixer with selectable (on/off) insertpoints on each channel ,4 aux sends and 4 stereo returns and Master Insert A+B.

I know someone is going to make this outside of the 20K SSL matix!

If not I would just settle for the controllerthumbsup In the meantime I have to keep my desk available until such a controller/mixer hits the market and that I can afford.

Simple solution is to just get the Dangerous LT and be done with it! $1500 all cabled up and TTYL.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Awww you guys gave up so quick!

I think the Speck X.Sum would be the best peice right now considering it can always be used in the future for anything. And everything else is outside of my budget so this unit makes sense to me.

I am still waiting on my dream DAW controller to be built but until then...... I will keep peiceing it together.

Cool thing about the X.Sum is I will be able to use it to feed a hotter signal to the converter at recording time for outboard synths. 4 channels actually from Mix A and Mix B.

Also say goodby to turning everything on just to play the keys!
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Addict

Ron

Do yourself a favour and get a Shadow Hills Equinox.......seriously

it's the shizzle
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

This thing looks sweet!

TL Audio Ebony A4 Summer

Tell me what you think? Master Insert and Tube Warmth!
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

Ended up getting the Dangerous 2Bus LT. I would have gone with the speck x.sum but guitar center nor musician friend could order it. I buy this stuff on credit with promos like no interest for a year. Pay it off then buy again. Yeah I do pay cash too but x-mas time and cash goes to the kids.

Anywho...will keep this until they come out with my 24channel analog summing board that offers DAW control with scribble strips and meter bridge plus 100mm flying faders as well with some usable eqs and switchable inserts on each channel and two master inserts with kick ass monitoring control and is under 10k.

What do you mean not possible?
C24...... strip the pres out and put in the goodies I suggested and make it mackie/hui universal!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear