The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
hardware lush super big (space) verb Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

hardware lush super big (space) verb

HI Everyone,

I'm posting this question one more time since after looking up tons of posts on this topic and listening to some demos on line I got even more confused..
I'm looking for a lush wide and artificial (space like) verb sound for electronic music (don't mind really diging into it as long as it's possible) in the hardware box that can also do regular verbs well... Lot's of people advise Lexicon PCM96, TC 3000 or Eventide... I've listened to TC demos and it looks like it's more of a well done regular verb rather than what I'm looking for... Liked Eventide but it's a bit too expensive for me right now... Could not find any demos of PCM96 with the super big verb settings...

Any sujestions would be greatly appreciated...
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

bricasti m7. i wouldn't describe it as "artificial" but it can be very lush.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear
I picked up a PCM 96 a while back and its super-nice on everything.

Having said that the Eventide's (including the Eclipse which can be had for a steal now) have the most amazing fx reverbs and delays, and for my money I feel the lexi has been pipped by the eventides for more effects style processing.

Still love everything the PCM96 has in reserve for giving life to electronic drums & synths though and I have to say I prob. end up using the 96 most out of everything...

Also, I know you said hardware but as the owner of several highly expensive effects processors, I have been very very impressed by 2cAudio's Aether reverb plug-in for more left-field bits - being able to automate in the daw is great news here for weirder passages and spot effects.

I produce mainly house, techno electro and leftfield electronics, just so you know...

Check the eclipse they really are going pretty cheap on the second hand market nowadays and they are more than capable processors for what you asked about...
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Some older Lex reverbs do it right, Lexicon PCM96 is nice in this respect, too.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Hi there,

Try an AMS RMX 16 and see what you think !

Cheers

John NYMO Nyman
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

any love or good experience for the tc m3000??????

i was thinking about getting one.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post

It's not what you are looking for.
A bit sterile sounding, TC 4000 is real dog, but again for different purposes than lush, big spaces.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post

I have one and it's clear and transparent. Not sure if I can call it "lush" but it's very useful.

I would be also interested in a "lush" kind of reverb. I was wondering if the Lexicon PCM 96 is better than the Bricasti M7 in this respect.
Old 19th November 2009
Old 19th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyelagin View Post

Lush reverb is just not done with one unit alone. Its done with a couple of effect units layered together. In terms of what works usually something synthethic sounding with modulated tails for the decay portion and something else closer but more natural sounding for whatever gives your ears cues of the size. Mix in some ping pong delays & some modulation effects mixed with slap back delay and you will be good.

All of this has to be balanced and EQd of course to taste.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Head

Master Room Spring Reverb...

Just listen to the Blade Runner soundtracks by Vangelis...
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

if you can fit it, a plate reverb might be just what you're looking for
EMT 140 pretty much defines lush, and can get 'space' reverb as you call it no problem
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

I would agree with a really nice plate. Much more organic sounding then digital. It falls down inside the track as opposed to sitting on top of it as digital sounds to me at times. I am going to assume an EMT 250 / 251 is out of your budget since the Eventide is. If the plate is not an option for you or the EMT then Bricasti.
Old 19th November 2009
Shy
Lives for gear

pyelagin: first of all, unless you have to have it in hardware, wait for Lexicon's PCM native reverb bundle, which has reverbs identical to the ones in PCM96, and, wait for Relab's Lexicon M 480 emulator native plugin which should also be released before the end of the year (see mystery plugin thread ). It seems that this is a very good time for someone looking for a lush yet very versatile reverb and doesn't want to spend several thousands of dollars.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
Lush reverb is just not done with one unit alone. Its done with a couple of effect units layered together. In terms of what works usually something synthethic sounding with modulated tails for the decay portion and something else closer but more natural sounding for whatever gives your ears cues of the size. Mix in some ping pong delays & some modulation effects mixed with slap back delay and you will be good.

All of this has to be balanced and EQd of course to taste.
No thats way too much work. I think they want the magic verb box that makes incoming content BETTER when it goes out without doing anything. You know like those old Trident boards that mixed themselves.

This place is FULL of people taking tanks to a thumb wrestling match...
Old 19th November 2009
NL5
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by haikusoftruth View Post
No thats way too much work. I think they want the magic verb box that makes incoming content BETTER when it goes out without doing anything. You know like those old Trident boards that mixed themselves.

This place is FULL of people taking tanks to a thumb wrestling match...

LOL.
Old 21st November 2009

The Lexicon 224XL sounds both lush and other-worldly, and completely redefined my opinion on hardware reverbs within about 15 minutes. The AMS RMX had a similar effect.
Old 21st November 2009
Quote:
Could not find any demos of PCM96 with the super big verb settings...
Have you been to our website where we have a pretty extensive demo of the PCM96's capabilities?

Lexicon Pro*-*Lexicon PCM96 - Pro Audio Sales - AudioLot - 888-224-3343
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Head

it's old... and it's pricey... but the 480L has gotta be up there.

don't know what i'd do if mine died...
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Nut

The Eventide H-3000 has some incredibly lush (and long and unnatural) reverb settings. The "Breathing Canyon" preset is on my (and several others') all-time favorites list. (And they can be had for pretty cheap these days...)
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Second that. H3000 is a funky old box, but for everything from strange verbs to pixie dust it's a love machine.

That said, I'm afraid Thrill pretty much nailed it, as he does not infrequently.

Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
HI Everyone,

I'm looking for a lush wide and artificial (space like) verb sound for electronic music (don't mind really diging into it as long as it's possible) in the hardware box that can also do regular verbs well...

I always choose the Lexicon 224X(L)...I have 480L, AMS RMX16, DN780 and H3000D/SE to choose from too...but the 224 is king in that application as far as im concerned, especially if you play around with all four outputs.. things can get..amazing..
Old 21st November 2009
I wouldn't maybe go by the demos on the TC site. One of the things the 3000 does really well (and I guess it's hard to do really well) is emulate realistic spaces, so it seems like all the demos you hear tend to be of that sort because they want to show that off. It's big on early reflection stuff and no modulation in a lot of the demos and presets.

But all those things are there and you can create a very plate'ish type of reverb if you want. Just lower the early reflections a lot, and enable modulation and play with the band decays and such.
Old 30th November 2009
Gear Head

The 224x is superb. The thickness adds incredible atmosphere!...you can use the Larc to increase reverb times after the final word/note...and the sound swirls and drifts off to lushness with amazing modulated tails !...it's the king!

also the Roland R880 is extremely lush with a wealth of parameters....a true sleeper at bargain prices !..

The Sony DPS-V77 can sound huge aswell !...it is very clean sounding with 56bit internal processing power ! LOOONNGG decays !....Plugins will sound like a joke!....
Old 30th November 2009
the KSP8 has some fairly huge lush patches, there is one called "my dreamy 481"
it's enormous.
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Lots of good recommendations here.
One that hasn't been mentioned that does great big spaces:
Yamaha ProR3.
Old 2nd December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
the KSP8 has some fairly huge lush patches, there is one called "my dreamy 481"
it's enormous.

kurzweil verbs are amazing
i love the 481 preset
Old 5th December 2009
Gear Head

Do the the kurzweil KSP8's sound the same as the 'Rumour' or 'Mangler' ? ...which are $300 boxes? and are regarded by some as 'tinny', 'metalic' sounding...I've heard that they are exactly the same with the same DSP chips ? ...just have more in/out options and obviously the 4x individual assignment. Would be interesting to compare the 2 units....
Old 5th December 2009
Shy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolve View Post
Do the the kurzweil KSP8's sound the same as the 'Rumour' or 'Mangler' ? ...which are $300 boxes? and are regarded by some as 'tinny', 'metalic' sounding...I've heard that they are exactly the same with the same DSP chips ? ...just have more in/out options and obviously the 4x individual assignment. Would be interesting to compare the 2 units....
The Rumour reverb algorithms are the exact same ones as in the KSP8, there is no difference. As for "tinny", some of the algorithms and patches are quite simply -not- for "big sounding" reverb, but are excellent for ambience. As a drum reverb, it's much better than the PCM70 and PCM90 for example, at least if you don't want smearing all over, and want a more lively sound. Some of the reverbs are very good for a "big" sound, like the plates. With tweaking of the hall algorithms, great results are also possible. I think anyone who says it's "tinny", simply relies on bad factory presets and doesn't know how to tweak a reverb.

Here is some tinny Rumour reverb for you .
Old 5th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy View Post
... As a drum reverb, it's much better than the PCM70 and PCM90 for example....

Hey! It is not better than the PCM70.

Not for big 80s hair metal! Not for big 80s power pop! Not for big 80s...um...initimate ballads.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search