The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
hardware lush super big (space) verb Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 5th December 2009
Shy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Planet View Post
Hey! It is not better than the PCM70.

Not for big 80s hair metal! Not for big 80s power pop! Not for big 80s...um...initimate ballads.

I'm not saying it's better than the PCM-70 overall . I love the PCM-70, but find the Rumour/KSP8 much better on drums. Usually. PCM-70 for smooth lush reverb on simple drum lines, can be nicer.
Old 5th December 2009
Lives for gear

Ahh, I was just joshin' mostly.

Yes, the "tinny" comments here and elsewhere have given me great pause about the unit, so it's interesting to hear one of the positive votes for it. I could possibly use a dedicated small room drum verb, and the price point isn't too straining. Thanks for the clip! Hey, got any drum 'verb before-and-after clips handy?

Cheers.

Old 5th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clairaudience View Post
Master Room Spring Reverb...

Just listen to the Blade Runner soundtracks by Vangelis...

That soundtrack is a fine example of the Lexicon 224. And what a CS-80, VP-330 and Emulator can do in the right hands.
Old 5th December 2009
Shy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Planet View Post
Hey, got any drum 'verb before-and-after clips handy?
Here are a few examples of the Kurzweil Rumour on a drum bus.
Attached Files

shy-drum_excerpt.wav (3.97 MB, 164 views)

shy-drum_excerpt-rumour-room_ambience.wav (2.73 MB, 156 views)

shy-drum_excerpt-rumour-room_vivid.wav (2.73 MB, 140 views)

shy-drum_excerpt-rumour-room_spread.wav (2.73 MB, 148 views)

shy-drum_excerpt-rumour-small_chamber.wav (2.75 MB, 138 views)

shy-drum_excerpt-rumour-small_hall.wav (2.75 MB, 138 views)

shy-drum_excerpt-rumour-short_plate.wav (2.73 MB, 155 views)

Old 6th December 2009
Shy
Lives for gear

As for the topic (super big reverb), I'm anxiously waiting for the Relab 480L emulation, hoping it has its super bigness.
Old 6th December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
Lush reverb is just not done with one unit alone.

Its done with a couple of effect units layered together.

In terms of what works usually something synthethic sounding with modulated tails for the decay portion and something else closer but more natural sounding for whatever gives your ears cues of the size.

Mix in some ping pong delays & some modulation effects mixed with slap back delay and you will be good.

All of this has to be balanced and EQd of course to taste.
right on!

I actually stumbled upon this myself - in an attempt at studio economy (in layout & design) I set up a serial effects loop set up where I can bypass any part of the chain if I want to isolate any one box - but anyways here's the signal path:

Eventide Eclipse -> TC D-Two -> PCM 91 -> Transient Designer ->

talk about lush, or weird, or spacey, or whatever... endless possibilities that are not possible with just one box...
Old 6th December 2009
Lives for gear

Hey Shy, very very fine of you to go to such effort! Much appreciated.

Now there is downloading and listening to be done....

Cheers.

Old 6th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clairaudience View Post
Master Room Spring Reverb...

Just listen to the Blade Runner soundtracks by Vangelis...
Actually no.

"Bladerunner" was pretty much Lex 224, although the Master Room was used in previous albums.

Cheers

Phaidon
Old 6th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosi View Post
That soundtrack is a fine example of the Lexicon 224. And what a CS-80, VP-330 and Emulator can do in the right hands.
...ah sorry u beat me to it! heh
Old 6th December 2009
Not high end but,

I seldom post in this hi end forum, because I feel like a lotta my gear is not good enough to even talk about. I have mostly older stuff, and no spankin' new whiz bang, boutique hardware etc.

I have to speak up and say though:

Roland SRV3030

Roland SRV2000

The roland echos are cool too.

I know, someone is maybe laughing at this right now. I don't own one, but will be getting one of them soon. I like them. A lot.

I have used these at a friend's studio for many years (film and TV scoring, beds etc.), and these have what I would call "lush" going on. Realistic? Notta, but they can do lush, and musical IMO.

Especially on keys, strings, and some vox. I think they get overlooked because they say Roland, and roland is thought of as a keyboard thing. But Kurzweil is a keyboard manufacturer, and people like their effects.

I just like the SIZE of these verbs. Good front to back depth on a clean aux return on a nice console. If you have eq on your sends and returns, even better. Very modern and space age sounding, even though they aren't. The only thing I think they don't do well on, is percussion parts.

FWIW, I think they are the antithesis of the Yamaha REV stuff. Much warmer. I was never into those REV's. I always thought they were ringy and metallic, but had a couple of OK patches if you messed with them.

Some guys used to love them, but not me.

The roland is totally different than any lexicon also, but in a complimentary way I think.

At the risk of totally bringing this thread down into the depths of low endom...I also like the Alesis Wedge. Sounds nothing like the Quadraverb, Midiverb etc. A pretty good little box and great for on the cheap IMO.

Traded a low end Yamaha REV 500 and a mic for a wedge, and am really happy with it.

And yeah, I know what Lexicons (I have pcm 80, mpx-1, primetime, lxp-1 and 5 w/ mrc) and Eventides sound like etc., but I have not heard or used a Bricasti. Just so you know what I am used to hearing as reference.

Not real up on the new stuff I guess.

Never had the $ for a 480L, or 960 either.

Anyway, for not a lotta money, you could have both the Roland and the Wedge, and I feel like they will add something to the palette. Certainly not high risk if you hate em'.

Anybody else ever use these and share my opinion on these two, or am I the odd man out with ghetto taste?

Good luck in your search.
J
Old 6th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
the KSP8 has some fairly huge lush patches, there is one called "my dreamy 481"
it's enormous.
does the Rumour have this same patch?

heh
Old 6th December 2009
Shy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy View Post

heh
Yes. I don't like it much, but it's a good starting point.
Old 7th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy View Post
I'm not saying it's better than the PCM-70 overall . I love the PCM-70, but find the Rumour/KSP8 much better on drums. Usually. PCM-70 for smooth lush reverb on simple drum lines, can be nicer.
I don´t agree. Pcm70´s tiled room preset is a classic on drums. I use it everyday.
Old 7th December 2009
Shy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanperez2000 View Post
I don´t agree. Pcm70´s tiled room preset is a classic on drums. I use it everyday.
Tiled Room is great, but it's one kind of sound and is not as versatile as the KSP8/Rumour reverbs.
Old 7th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Hi GS

According to me we can find really happiness with all budget reverbs,

Roland SRV 330 Huge strings ( incredible stuff for sampled strings like VSL )

Sony V 77 very nice , a little bit hifi but great sound ( incredible for delays too !! Crystal echoes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! like the old D7 with a 3D sound )

Roland R 880 a great unit ( not so known but very lush )

Lex PCM 70 Rich plate is a must have (love that on my piano )

Ensoniq DP 4 old box full of vibes and nice reverb ( non linear verbs ) and the 8 voice chorus for guitars

In a higher budget Eventide 3000 series get a rich and warm sound

Lexicon 224 XL / 300 / 480 L ver 4

my 480 V 4 has a preset called large wood room ( set at 3.12 sec ) with a little bit of a pre delay and you are producing Whithney Houston rich reverb with a vintage character , a sound signature heard on countless great albums

last but not least AMS 16 ( preset 09 ambiance ) just awesome

best regards from Paris to everyone
Old 8th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanperez2000 View Post
Tiled Room is great, but it's one kind of sound and is not as versatile as the KSP8/Rumour reverbs.
I think that was - like, umm - an example??!!

Old 8th December 2009
Shy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM Interactive View Post
I think that was - like, umm - an example??!!

so when I don't agree with you when you say you don't agree (which I don't really understand what with), I get the face? heh
Edit: woops, I see you're not even the same guy
Old 8th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
so when I don't agree with you when you say you don't agree...
Umm - yeah. Err, that is - not wishing to be disagreeable, I don't agree that we didn't agree.
Old 17th December 2009
Lives for gear

Just wanted to say I have a PCM 70 (version 2 software) in the classifieds.
Old 5th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy View Post

heh
OK, please seriously, can I hear this "my dreamy 481" from Rumor? Would be great to hear it on percussion of some sort... I would go for Eventide and not post any more threads like this one but my budjet does not allow me so I need to compromize... Is Rumor better than Lexicon boxes of the same price range? (In terms of unnaturaly huge reverbs)... If some one could please post an mp3 of big Rumor patch or any older reverbs metioned here (like Sony DPS 77) I'd greatly appreciate it...

Thanks...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search