The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Found a use for the Avalon737sp Compressor!
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Nut

Found a use for the Avalon737sp Compressor!

What was once the most useless set of knobs in my studio finally found a use :-)

If you basically just crank it with 9 oclock thresh and 5 oclock compression, 10 attack 0 release, and THEN run it through another compressor (i'm using an EL8-X), it really tames the input so that makeup gain on the compressor itself is a breeze and sits quite nicely while tracking.

Don't throw away those 737s just yet! ;-)
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Or get the baby face mod and the compressor becomes quite usable. You will be amazed at how much the mod makes a difference. I think they all come stock with them now anyway.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/4547659-post56.html

(CL1B with different tubes, 737sp, EL-8 audio clips)
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonT View Post
Or get the baby face mod and the compressor becomes quite usable. You will be amazed at how much the mod makes a difference. I think they all come stock with them now anyway.
Aaaaahhh, I didn't know the Babyface mod was a mod to the compressor. I never really cared to look into it guess. Do you know a price range on the mod?
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chonchball View Post
Do you know a price range on the mod?
Pretty cheap if you are handy.

Avalon Vt 737sp Babyface (Fast Attack) Mod

and... https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...-face-mod.html
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chonchball View Post
Aaaaahhh, I didn't know the Babyface mod was a mod to the compressor. I never really cared to look into it guess. Do you know a price range on the mod?
I thought if your 737 had an "sp" after it, the mod was already stock.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Set Surgeon View Post
I thought if your 737 had an "sp" after it, the mod was already stock.
Don't know but I have used 737s for over 10 years. Comp always sux and then I did a gig at CRC in chicago and they had one with blue lights and I said WTF did you all do to the 737 and they told me about the BF Mod. I tried it out and I thought I was freaking dreaming! I immediatly ordered my own and requested the mod from the manufacture. They said it was stock but they could add the Blue leds

I took my own to the studio where I then worked for side by side comparison. Realized that his 737 was dead (needed tubes) and that yep the Comp sux in it. The attack time on the Babyface Comp kicked the old stock Comp all up in the ass!

Owner of the studio sent his to the factory for the Mod and for new tubes. The mod cost $32! Shipping was $80 LMAO! He also bought another 737 and there was new found love for it by all!
Old 19th November 2009
Here for the gear

avalon pre amp need some advice

Getting a good sound out of the avalon 757. the question that i have is- what should be the ratio between the preamp gain levels and the input levels. is there a certain ratio thats better? example higer preamp gain than input or lower preamp gain and higher input ?
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAHPA View Post
Getting a good sound out of the avalon 757. the question that i have is- what should be the ratio between the preamp gain levels and the input levels. is there a certain ratio thats better? example higer preamp gain than input or lower preamp gain and higher input ?
The output is transparent. The more the gain the more the color. 42 has worked very well for me. Fastes attack on the Comp with a 4:1 ratio and release straight up. Threshold set so the 737 is doing around 4-6 db of reduction. 12k on the high and boost around 4db. HP filter around 60 and bass boosted 2db. Usually have to cut around 2db of high mid at 1.5k.

Play with it! Turn those knobs! Get nasty with it and touch on her private parts!

Don't let anyone tell you that she is a lazy phuck becuase she is just fine if you know how to turn her on!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear