The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What sort of Album's budgets are you seeing?
Old 23rd November 2009
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jindrich View Post
Michael, I'm sure your studio is great, I never wanted to imply otherwise. I was simply separating studio and engineer costs in the analysis, and therefore compared rates of similar facilities. I know it doesn't make much sense for the producer with own studio, like yourself, but the fact is that it DOES have a cost and a ROI to you -which is why some freelancers opt for not having one, specially when studio rates are in the toilet as it is nowadays.

BTW, regarding those rates, VAT is 100% deductible for any enterprise in the EU so it doesn't play any role (at the end of the year). On the other hand, we shouldn't base (rates) comparisons on whatever the daily exchange rate is, as domestic economies don't change because of this (price of salaries vs goods within the country). That only modifies buying power among different countries. If parity came back to the $ and €, only commercial balances would change.. and EU artists would not find so cheap to book US studios and producers, which they do choose to do not only based on price (35% discount because of currency issues is too big to ignore), but also because they might look for some "american sound" or whatever.

Wie auch immer. Ich glaube, wie gesagt, du kannst ein paar Bookings nach dieser Info einfach kriegen. I'll pass it along.
All cool
Just wanted to point out the difference to a "Home Studio" where there is just some gear put in an existing room and people make the best of it and a studio built from the ground up with planned acoustics. The only difference to other dedicated studios is that I don't rent out the room by itself, I will always be there if the studio is being used, hence the rate.

Also, from a contract standpoint, I don't charge for producing, I "just" charge for studio time, which I don't have to recoup, compared to a "producer's advance".
Old 23rd November 2009

that's exactly how I've been working these days MW....... studio time at MY rates.
Old 24th November 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperman View Post

You should be pleased as punch.
or maybe they're a bunch of bs artists and they should be punched until we're pleased.

sup but
Old 10th August 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundeq View Post
I still see big-ish budgets. I'm hip-hop/pop mostly. Its not like it was 4-5 years ago for sure. (lobster tail each night for dinner baby!) I gained a lot of weight then too.

There's less albums being done that's for sure. I have my own smallish studio that I work out of remotely lot of the time, and labels seem to like that. More $$$ in my pocket and less in recording studios. That being said, majors don't seem to scoff at a session at a big room if needed or the artist is attending.

I am seeing labels, book out long term rental/house/studios, and having all their artists work there.
lobster tail sounds good
Old 10th August 2011
Harmless Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by sup but View Post
or maybe they're a bunch of bs artists and they should be punched until we're pleased.

sup but
Commander!

I never saw this!

LMFBO.

See ya soon buddy!

Slippy

PS. You got the other half of the "A" desk in yer avatar. Together... we're like as good as... ONE GUY. HOHOHO.
Old 10th August 2011
Lives for gear

Non Label, privately financed - Β£5500-6000. A lot is remote recording. Its all people will spend - I tend to be co-financing about the same amount of free time (which is nuts, I know) and these are clients I have had a long relationship with, still stuck on 1990s prices.

Fortunately I quite enjoy the experience, which takes me away from the bill paying work.
Old 11th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jindrich View Post
I'm very curious on this, specially how it is in the States. In the rather segmented and relatively small EU market, studios are seeing less label work and more and more indie and self financed-band stuff.

Label budgets are down and labels invest the majority of the budget on marketing anyway (TV, radio, postering colleges, etc). As for the recording, they only want "just a properly sounding record" and pour in as few money as possible. If some studios/producers do it for half, as long as they've put out decent stuff already, they'll get the job. This sort of budget vary wildly and sometimes it's very close to indie-DIY's budgets.

As for the latter, I've seen a bit of a pattern. Bands are getting smarter and are finding new ways of starting out by themselves. Some have found out the "€9.99 Ticket+CD" as a viable option. It roughly works like this:

The 4-member band raise €12k (€3k per member). This will be the production budget: €10k for recording the album and €2k for mastering and pressing 2,000 copies. Photographs and DTP will be made by some band member (or friend) for the love of it.
Now they got 2,000 CDs that will mostly give away at concerts, but by offering both the ticket+CD at just €9.99 they have many more chances of filling out the hall. If they do 10 concerts at a 200-peope venue, they'd get €20k (venues are happy with having 200 people ordering drinks). So after paying the €12k for the Album production, they still have €8k, which means they got €800 per concert (€200 per band member).
The band won't get rich but it is a way of starting out wihtout having to wait for the "contract dream", getting a name by themselves and getting a finished pro sounding CD they can always market to radio stations/local TVs and bigger fishes (labels looking for acts with some fan base and future).

So the studio sees a 10k budget for an album, which is not much but fills the studio for some time with a upfront paying client. On the other hand, the band gets no less than two full weeks (15+ days) of a commercial studio (SSL/Neve) with assistant+engineer nonetheless. And the thruth is that such budget isn't that far of what some labels are offering to make the debut of this new pretty girl that they advertise on TV.
your arithmetic seems off
they did 10 concerts
so they got only 80euro/concert
or 20 euro per person per gig
Old 11th August 2011
Latest albums in this neck of the woods are budgeted around $15k to $30k for EVERYTHING... pressing, artwork, one indy video, marketing efforts, producer, other studio players and extras and they leave about $5000 to $6000 for studio/tracking time. Mixing budget is about $1500 and mastering is about $750.

That's Indy stuff. And well, most everything is Indy these days!!
Old 11th August 2011
Lives for gear

All I ever hear about is what they want to float my way. Last album that tried to come to me wanted to do 11 songs and wanted to give me $5k for it all with up to 3 revisions per song. I turned it down. I still couldn't do it now.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear