The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sigma Electrodyne console...
Old 18th November 2009
Sigma Electrodyne console...

I located the original Sigma Electrodyne console... still up and running with no problems after all these years... it can be seen at this myspace page... CYberteknics creative on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos Not the greatest shots of the boards.

Also there are some detailed photo's of it... My Photos Photo Gallery - Photo 15 of 36 by CYberteknics creative - MySpace Photos

This is the console used to do David Bowies Young Americans, Disco Inferno, For the Love of Money, etc... just about all the great "Philly Sound" Gamble & Huff recordings.

Mike (Tarsia) if you want to talk to the owner he'd love to speak to you about the board!
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

i choked on cigarrette smoke while they wired the second one 1n 1970/71..which board is it? ..how many inputs/ and does it have vca's? [the second board got the allison retrofit..there were 3 or 4 people doing around the clock wiring and i was 13 and cleaning solder stations, emptying trash cans and going out for burgers..people slept on the floor during the install

it had to be ready for a live radio concert with todd rundgren and they were wiring until a feww hrs before the show..hahahah loooong time ago they had to run phase coherent PHONE lines to the radio station
Old 18th November 2009
It's the board with the automation... 24 x 24 I think, he told me just yesterday... the mind, it wobbles....

I'll be talking to him later this week, I'll ask again but he was telling me everything has been up and running since he purchased it off your Dad in 1978 (I think), anyway he dealt with another engineer(?) at the time as your Dad was in a session... he brought a lift truck and a wad of cash "so they knew I was serious about buying it". We had a good laugh at that one.

Pretty cool find.
Old 18th November 2009
pictures... some are very small, it's from Phil's page...
Attached Thumbnails
Sigma Electrodyne console...-l_4cb7f8bd1e01f5dd0de23da3be4dc3a5.jpg   Sigma Electrodyne console...-l_04f59793481eaa1301dd778b50062bf5.jpg   Sigma Electrodyne console...-l_8f22fb792da55d4a0355fd894daefaf3.jpg  
Attached Images
Sigma Electrodyne console...-l_1a0b93b729373ab9a6cf439c66b202fc.jpg Sigma Electrodyne console...-l_aaa684728ae45c1ef822698b6cd8ae68.jpg Sigma Electrodyne console...-l_b232c3a7026684b97e5f884a025e39c9.jpg 
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
It's the board with the automation... 24 x 24 I think, he told me just yesterday... the mind, it wobbles....

I'll be talking to him later this week, I'll ask again but he was telling me everything has been up and running since he purchased it off your Dad in 1978 (I think), anyway he dealt with another engineer(?) at the time as your Dad was in a session... he brought a lift truck and a wad of cash "so they knew I was serious about buying it". We had a good laugh at that one.

Pretty cool find.
point to point wiring LOL..all those guys were pro's... gene kane and my father were prob the best 2 of the solder jockeys

i remember waking up at home to go to school and my dad would be passed out on the floor working schematics of the console
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

most cool!

a beautiful board!
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

lol i didn't open the first pic duh.. i woulda known the board..that monitor section was amazing for it's time
Old 18th November 2009
can I say that controlroom looks very colorful?
I take it you've used or heard it?
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
pictures... some are very small, it's from Phil's page...
Are those phase linears in the BG? Wow, vintage stuff. And that garage is PACKED. heh heh
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
can I say that controlroom looks very colorful?
I take it you've used or heard it?
the board yes but years ago in our room..i never engineered on it only assted on it

the mci 424 and the sphere C were the first boards i engineered on
Old 18th November 2009
The guy that owns the board has Telefunken Elam 250's and 251's that he bought new!!! Two EMT plates, U67's, etc... and lets not even go there with guitars and amps.

Let's just say a lot of these "old time" engineers have a lot of goodies that they aren't even aware of... after all they are just tools!
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

wow
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

i linked this to jay mark an engineer at sigma who worked with talking heads. tom dowd etc

Quote:
Wow -- that's hard to believe!

Jay

and tom mouton the producer who arguable created "remixing"

Quote:
What memories!!!!!!......I miss the cigarette burn on the arm rest
kind blows me away that my dad designed all that..i always thought of him more as an recording engineer
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

anyone wanna buy some quadraphonic joystics from the console???? LOL i got 4

a sony rep recently called my father and said our quad mixes from that era were the easiest to work with as we were "old school" and just put ambience in the rear
Old 18th November 2009
Hey Mike, Phil said the engineer he dealt with was the guy who owned Cameo Parkway, he said his name but I can't remember. Ring any bells?

He said he was afraid of your Dad as he just kept giving him the "evil eye" while he was loading the board on the truck to take it a way! I could see that.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Mike, Phil said the engineer he dealt with was the guy who owned Cameo Parkway, he said his name but I can't remember. Ring any bells?

He said he was afraid of your Dad as he just kept giving him the "evil eye" while he was loading the board on the truck to take it a way! I could see that.
nah my dad wasn't that way..the board was from Sigma..though my dad did work at cameo parkway [he became cheif eng there and when they sold to alan klein , alan tried to keep him on by enticing him with rolling stones sessions..my dad deferred and started Sigma]

the guy that owend cameo was old and was never an engineer ..WAIT!.you mean harry chipitz ..he worked at cameo..in what capacity i forget..he was the biz manager for my dad at sigma and woulda dealt with stuff like that

he also had Chips Distributors a record outlet..his son managed the A's
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
i linked this to jay mark an engineer at sigma who worked with talking heads. tom dowd etc

and tom mouton the producer who arguable created "remixing"

kind blows me away that my dad designed all that..i always thought of him more as an recording engineer
And little ol' me too
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

All of the Cameo Parkway people ,Bernie Lowe,Kal mann,etc.,passed away decades ago,including Allen Klein who died earlier this year,so I cannot imagine who it could be unless he is not being truthful.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
And little ol' me too
hi bobby ! we were just talking about you..i was mastering beru revue and greg davis said he was over your place
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
All of the Cameo Parkway people ,Bernie Lowe,Kal mann,etc.,passed away decades ago,including Allen Klein who died earlier this year,so I cannot imagine who it could be unless he is not being truthful.
dave appel is still kicking!
Old 19th November 2009
Quote:
nah my dad wasn't that way..the board was from Sigma..though my dad did work at cameo parkway [he became cheif eng there and when they sold to alan klein , alan tried to keep him on by enticing him with rolling stones sessions..my dad deferred and started Sigma]

the guy that owend cameo was old and was never an engineer ..WAIT!.you mean harry chipitz ..he worked at cameo..in what capacity i forget..he was the biz manager for my dad at sigma and woulda dealt with stuff like that

he also had Chips Distributors a record outlet..his son managed the A's who i i think morphed into "Baby Grand"
Harry Chipitz, that's the guy. Said your Dad was in a session and he was the one that handled the sale. I think he said back around 1978 this all went down.

Like I said before Mike, you Dad reminds me of my Dad an awful lot... must be the Italian thing!
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Harry Chipitz, that's the guy. Said your Dad was in a session and he was the one that handled the sale. I think he said back around 1978 this all went down.

Like I said before Mike, you Dad reminds me of my Dad an awful lot... must be the Italian thing!

Old 19th November 2009
Hey Mike,

When did you guys get the MCI 424? Did it replace the Electrodyne, or was it installed in a different room?

Thanks,

Philip
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip S Bova View Post
Hey Mike,

When did you guys get the MCI 424? Did it replace the Electrodyne, or was it installed in a different room?

Thanks,

Philip
there was 1 in studio 2 installed around 1972 which was downstairs while the electrodyne was still up

then we also put one into 309 south broad which was our other studio in the old cameo parkway building

in studio 1 we had 2 electrodynes then the sphere c , then the neve then the 9000

the funniest thing is all the rooms had crappy control rooms back then..there was a big window with an AC unit in studio 1 with the electrodyne

studio 2 was a square and 309 was the size of my 14x12 mix room except instead of nearfields big reds hung almost over the console and there wasn't much room to pull your chair back because the back wall was like 1/2 foot behind you

we got so busy so fast that they just slapped the rooms up..we had 3 studios going literally 24/7 for over a decade and were booked 6 months IN ADVANCE for all 3 rooms [only thanksgiving, xmas and new years eve were days off ..any other day people were expected to be able to work] before we really made anything resembling decent control rooms

and the really really funny thing is the biggest hits came out of those original crappy rooms
Old 20th November 2009
500 series nutjob

some awesome history guys!
thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 24th May 2010
Here for the gear

I've recorded at Phil's studio and can testify that he's a first-rate engineer who keeps all that stuff in wonderful condition...the console sounds just magnificent. The crazy thing is that people right here in town don't seem to realize what they've got. Phil can come off a little "eccentric" when you first meet him but he really is the nicest guy in the world. You DO realize he did all the really important late-60's Dayton funk like the Dayton Sidewinders and Sun, pre-Ohio Players. That was before he got the 'Dyne, though...that was a Gately mixer and spring reverb live to a two-track Crown CX-822, right before he got the Scully 1" 12-track. Now if that sentence doesn't BLOW YOUR MIND...

Joe Tritschler
Old 25th May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Caribou View Post
I've recorded at Phil's studio and can testify that he's a first-rate engineer who keeps all that stuff in wonderful condition...the console sounds just magnificent. The crazy thing is that people right here in town don't seem to realize what they've got. Phil can come off a little "eccentric" when you first meet him but he really is the nicest guy in the world. You DO realize he did all the really important late-60's Dayton funk like the Dayton Sidewinders and Sun, pre-Ohio Players. That was before he got the 'Dyne, though...that was a Gately mixer and spring reverb live to a two-track Crown CX-822, right before he got the Scully 1" 12-track. Now if that sentence doesn't BLOW YOUR MIND...

Joe Tritschler
Phil is one of the best engineers out there and his rates are stupid cheap... I can't believe that more people in the area don't know about him. He still records everything analog as well. If there are any wannabe engineers that live in the area they should really start hanging with Phil... with his gear and knowledge I can't think of a better mentor.

He also use to be a room mate to some friends of mine Dangerous Dan Toler and Frankie Toler from the Allman Brothers Band... of course that was before Duane got killed and Dan took his place in the band... small world!
Old 25th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
and the really really funny thing is the biggest hits came out of those original crappy rooms
*smile* . . . it shows that talent / soul and heart are paramount doesn't it Mike? As you know, I worked in the upstairs room and the downstairs room. The years of hits and the 'soul' of that place was a beautiful thing. The hallway alone made you want to make good music.

It's a funny thing, but it seems when my studio (old location) was at it's 'funkiest' in the early 80s (air conditioner in window etc) the music that came out of there was incredible! . . I STILL try to figure out how to make things sound as good as that old place . . . in this much nicer / fully built out / tuned etc etc studio that I've had for the past 10 years AND with 'so called' better gear! Heart and soul cannot be bought or designed.

I remember when the new place was being built and the builder was doing the trim . . . he was on his way to buy trendy special cherry wood for the trim . . . I was so sick of the whole build out process that I told him that I was going to kill him and his crew if he didn't put painted wood up and get out . . . that I certainly didn't feel trendy wood was going to make better music. *smile*
Old 26th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
we got so busy so fast that they just slapped the rooms up..we had 3 studios going literally 24/7 for over a decade and were booked 6 months IN ADVANCE for all 3 rooms [only thanksgiving, xmas and new years eve were days off ..any other day people were expected to be able to work] before we really made anything resembling decent control rooms

That's about the best thing you've ever said, Mike
Old 19th January 2011
Here for the gear

Sigma Studio's original Electrodyne Console

Great console! Spent many hours on this baby and I just can't match the sound with anything I've used to date. The pre amps are 20+ dB then anything I've worked on and very clear as well. Phil bought in 1978 I think and it still produces the big sound. I have more pictures of it at http://www.facebook.com/dole.shaffer and Dole Shaffer on Myspace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos. The studio is located in Dayton Ohio and still in operation.
Attached Thumbnails
Sigma Electrodyne console...-35721_1453633054252_1036067531_1317325_6504359_n.jpg   Sigma Electrodyne console...-l_8f22fb792da55d4a0355fd894daefaf3.jpg   Sigma Electrodyne console...-l_4cb7f8bd1e01f5dd0de23da3be4dc3a5.jpg   Sigma Electrodyne console...-35103_1456267240105_1036067531_1325432_7054408_n.jpg   Sigma Electrodyne console...-sigmastudiosphiladelphiacontrolroom.jpg  

πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear