The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sigma Electrodyne console...
Old 19th January 2011
  #31
Quote:
Originally Posted by songman82 View Post
Great console! Spent many hours on this baby and I just can't match the sound with anything I've used to date. The pre amps are 20+ dB then anything I've worked on and very clear as well. Phil bought in 1982 I think and it still produces the big sound. I have more pictures of it at http://www.facebook.com/dole.shaffer and Dole Shaffer on Myspace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos. The studio is located in Dayton Ohio and still in operation.
Yeah, on my Electrodyne console the 20 dB pads stay in all the time just to be able to mix and not overload the two buss... good thing they included that feature in the line amp... don't know why they made the console so "hot" back then.

Were you Phil's old sidekick that helped him for years or did you use the board then it was still in Philly? I just talked to Phil last Friday... he's still kickin' it, still has work but is a little "burned out" on the business right now. I feel for him.
Old 19th January 2011
  #32
500 series nutjob
 
pan60's Avatar
 

nice!!!
Old 26th January 2011
  #33
Here for the gear
 

phills lost sidekick?

wow i did't know i was disalusioned with the buisness .l just want to record thats all we did for 20 years 100's of songs a year for years on end no exageration. but factor$ got between us and it a shame i've been alover recording since and nothing compares to RAQUEL that her name scott.
Old 27th February 2011
  #34
Here for the gear
 

Cyberteknics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
Yeah, on my Electrodyne console the 20 dB pads stay in all the time just to be able to mix and not overload the two buss... good thing they included that feature in the line amp... don't know why they made the console so "hot" back then.

Were you Phil's old sidekick that helped him for years or did you use the board then it was still in Philly? I just talked to Phil last Friday... he's still kickin' it, still has work but is a little "burned out" on the business right now. I feel for him.

I am good friends with Phil and have known him for awhile but you might be thinking of Scott. I have worked with Phil a lot over the last few years as an independent engineer. We have produced a few projects together and he played some keyboards on my last release. I was the director of a Dayton audio recording college about 3 miles west of Cybertecknics and we just became close friends. Phil is very good at what he does and is one of the most creative people I have worked with. Yes, he is a bit burnt with the business but after years in the same place and watching the business convert to digital has made some great rooms shut their doors. Phil has worked on projects for people like MJ to Ohio Players. I have been blessed to know and learn from him and have worked on many projects with him. But most of all, I call him my friend.
Old 28th February 2011
  #35
Quote:
Originally Posted by songman82 View Post
I am good friends with Phil and have known him for awhile but you might be thinking of Scott. I have worked with Phil a lot over the last few years as an independent engineer. We have produced a few projects together and he played some keyboards on my last release. I was the director of a Dayton audio recording college about 3 miles west of Cybertecknics and we just became close friends. Phil is very good at what he does and is one of the most creative people I have worked with. Yes, he is a bit burnt with the business but after years in the same place and watching the business convert to digital has made some great rooms shut their doors. Phil has worked on projects for people like MJ to Ohio Players. I have been blessed to know and learn from him and have worked on many projects with him. But most of all, I call him my friend.
That's great.

I just talked with Phil yesterday... you might want to give him a call now.

Phil is good people and knows his sh*t. Anyone in the area would benefit from going to a guy like Phil, he could teach them a lot about recording while recording their album!

We were playing connect the dots with mutual friends. Dan Toler (and Frankie) from the Allman Brothers band use to be his old room mates! I've know those guys for 30 years. Don King (from Electrodyne) use to be an old radio announcer friend of his that worked in Ohio. Gene Berry as well. We just went on and on... it truly is a small industry...
Old 1st March 2011
  #36
Gear Head
 
mr_roman2001's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by songman82 View Post
Great console! Spent many hours on this baby and I just can't match the sound with anything I've used to date. The pre amps are 20+ dB then anything I've worked on and very clear as well. Phil bought in 1978 I think and it still produces the big sound. I have more pictures of it at http://www.facebook.com/dole.shaffer and Dole Shaffer on Myspace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos. The studio is located in Dayton Ohio and still in operation.
Love that console
Old 1st March 2011
  #37
I LOVE this thread- been on such a Philly music kick lately. I grew up about 30 minutes away and always just took it for granted that so much amazing AM pop was recorded in my neck of the woods. From the Delfonics and Bunny Sielger, to Todd and Hall & Oates and up through the Hooters, Beru, Robert Hazard and to guys like Jim Boggia today (and NY transplant Pete Donneley of the Figgs), Philly has always had such a wealth of soul to share with the rest of the world.

This thread makes me hungry for a good hoagie and tastykakes washed down with some wooder from the Schukhyil!
Old 2nd March 2011
  #38
Here for the gear
 

Hi Larry
would you know what modules were in the sigma console?
I would also really like to find a ruff list of great albums that were realized on this Edyne if they exist online somewhere.
Regards
Chris Townend
Old 6th March 2011
  #39
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tasmanian View Post
Hi Larry
would you know what modules were in the sigma console?
I would also really like to find a ruff list of great albums that were realized on this Edyne if they exist online somewhere.
Regards
Chris Townend

Hi Chris, Mainly 711L's in that console. Phil has a hand full of 710's and also six 712's that he drops in when he wants/needs the extra bands.

Some of the most popular songs were "For the Love of Money" (Money, Money, Money, the Apprentice theme) and the Soul Train theme song....

Here is a list that Mike Tarsia sent me a while back, since then I've discovered many more but can't find my list...

Electrodyne console recordings:
off the top of my head, artists,,and some songs i remember..a couple were*recordings during live broadcast* ..phase coherent stereo over 2 phone lines , radio concerts

Trammps -Disco Inferno
Robert Palmer-- double fun
Bowie -Young Americans
Grace Jones
Edgar Winter
Lou rawles
Stylistics*
Spinners
Ojays
Dusty Springfield
Laura Nero
Lola Falana
Charo
Todd rundgreen
Flying Burrito Brothers
Billy Joel
Billy Paul-me and mrs jones*
Labelle
Patti Labelle
Three Degeees
Intruders
Joe Simon
Teddy Pendergrass
MFSB


Many of Decca's recordings in the 60's were done on these boards as well. Capitol records had one. Frank Sinatra owned a ACC1204 like the one I have. NBC, CBS, Glen-Glen Sound, Warner Brother, etc... all owned these console as well. Really more great albums were done on these console than anybody ever realizes... it's a "sound" we all grew up with. The very first television stations used Electrodynes as well and many of the large radio stations. KTLA being the first to get one when they went on air.

These consoles were born out of the film industry and were the first commercial recording consoles available in stock configurations (ACC 1204 and ACC 1608). They invented the concept of the channel strip combing a mic pre, EQ, aux send and fader all on one strip with routing functions and invented the active combining network to combine all these channels down to one or two channels.

Bear in mind these console have over 100 dB of gain in them because of the film industry. You only had an old RCA "skunk"ribbon mic hanging over the Wells Fargo Stage Coach set and that mic had to pick up everything!

Each module has 71dB of gain and the subgroup section has another 34dB... so 105 dB of gain by the time you hit the two bus. Now think about that for a little while. 0 on the fader sits at the top, you have to account for your own headroom. If you don't know how to run and read tones with these old boards you're screwed (and shouldn't be using such a powerful piece of equipment to begin with).
πŸ“ Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear