The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Few qs about PT
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Few qs about PT

Hi all.

I was fighting it for like 3-5 years to not have pt. Now I'm giving up the fight and I'm readdy to get myself a HD1.

Before I'll do it I have a few questions that I wanted to ask you guys. This would help me a lot,

1. When I use PT, do it uses cpu also for plugins ? It would be nice if I run out of HD DSP to make use of my mac cpu.

2. Same question about audio, If I run out those 128 tracks, does it say "no more" or it starts to use the comps cpu for additional tracks?

3. I want to connect auroras to it. Will I have to reconnect them when I won't be using tdm (in case I would like to work on Logic with AU plugs for example). Is that some issue or I missunderstood smething?

4. Now I see that they have a promotion that can take even 50% off the price when upgrading to hd I heard that if I wat to work with smpte and LE I need a special upgrade that is quite expesive. So is it better (economically) to get LE and the upgrade or buy HD1 adding some extra money and formget about the combination?

thats alll for now.

thx all for constructive answers!
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

1. You can use native (computer CPU) or TDM plugins, but the plugin has to be available for either. Some are TDM-only and others are native-only. Another consideration is that although PT will allow you to stack TDM and native inserts in any order you want, you should always start with native and then have all of your TDM ones... this is due to the architecture of the system and will give you the least latency and use up the least number of voices.

2. Related to that... Even tho you can use native plugins, all of the audio has to go through the TDM engine. This is where the voice limitation is imposed.

3. Can't say. I know the apogees could have either TDM, ADAT, or AES inputs and it was switchable from the front panel.

4. DUC may have better answers, but it could also depend on your specific circumstances.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear
With an LT-HD the aurora will connect through that card (installed in the aurora, connects directly to your HD core card), but can still be switched to a mode where the analog in's feed the digital outs and vice versa. Also you can load PT and monitor through it, but the load time might make that not always ideal. Short answer is yes, but it also depends on what you use to control your monitors.

Also FWIW the whispers around the duc and elsewhere are that digi has something big for namm, which is to say that ROI on an HD rig might not be very good right now. I have an HD rig (5 cards) and it works well for me, but I would wait and see what's on the horizon myself.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear